26" Rear Wheel Kit Dropout Extension Kit

26" Rear Wheel Kit Dropout Extension Kit

UNREAD_POSTby Finch on Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Hey Folks,

Jen and I are thinking about eventually converting to a 26" wheel. Could any of you please give me some pros and cons on the aspect of long tours with the conversion?
Finch

Re: 26" Rear Wheel Kit Dropout Extension Kit

UNREAD_POSTby kellib on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:30 pm

One pro is that you can obtain greater speeds with the same physical exertion. One con is that you will lose some of your hill climbing gears.

Make sure you check out our pics of the 26" wheel dropouts to make sure that your trike matches and you can get the conversion kit.
Kelli B
Sales, TerraTrike
kellib

UNREAD_POSTby bentcruiser on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm

kellib wrote:One pro is that you can obtain greater speeds with the same physical exertion. One con is that you will lose some of your hill climbing gears.

Make sure you check out our pics of the 26" wheel dropouts to make sure that your trike matches and you can get the conversion kit.

If one opted for a Schlumpf drive, could the lower gearing be gained back?
bentcruiser

UNREAD_POSTby kellib on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:45 am

By adding the High Speed Drive you will not only gain some low gears back, but you will increase your high gears as well. The Schlump is an amazing thing.
Kelli B
Sales, TerraTrike
kellib

UNREAD_POSTby chonk on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:25 am

Plus it's fun saying Shclumpf.
SHHHHLUUUUMPPPPFFFF!
Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
Marketing Dude
TerraTrike / WizWheelz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
chonk
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby NorCalAl on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Will this kit also work on a 3.6?
NorCalAl

UNREAD_POSTby kellib on Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:01 pm

http://www.terratrike.com/shop/accessor ... od_75.html You can check here to see if your dropouts match.
Kelli B
Sales, TerraTrike
kellib

UNREAD_POSTby mmaxon888 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:52 am

The kit's frame extension parts are well made and easy to install. The standard wheel is good enough, but I managed to kill mine with a little stress. I had to stop very quickly and my rear wheel came off the ground maybe 1-2 inches. One wheel slid slightly and when the rear came back into contact with the ground the trike was rotating which caused a bend in the wheel, right at the seam. I weighed 200 lbs at the time so I don't blame the non-heavy-duty wheel as much as I blame myself for putting myself in a situation where I had to make an emergency stop. I bought a replacement wheel at a bike shop for $85 (Bontrager) and noted the new wheel was of double wall construction and much tougher than the kit's wheel.

The 26" wheel takes a little sharpness out of the bumps and that is very nice. Remember that you will raise the rear of your trike by 3" and this will cause the bottom bracket/pedal height to drop 1-1.5". Wheelbase is increased by 3" as well which is good for stability at speeds, but increases the minimum turning radius just a bit.
mmaxon888

UNREAD_POSTby rydabent on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm

On my Cruiser which is the same as many models including the Tour II, the 26" upgrade lowerd the cranks and bottom bracket one inch and raised the seat one inch. The gear inches of course was raised enough that I am going to change the center and large chain ring to 38 and 48. I will probably replace the the rear sprokets with an 11-32.

I rode my Cruiser about 250 miles with the original 20" rear wheel. Do I like the upgrade most certainly yes. The main reason I bought it was to get the chain and RD further up out of the dirt and trash. I also found I can stand up easier, and my knees are not so much in my face while peddaling. Lastly for no good hard logical reason the trike just looks better.

Oh-----------and one final thing with a big back wheel and small front wheels I am alway going down hill!!! :D
rydabent

Return to Tour