BB5 to BB7

BB5 to BB7

UNREAD_POSTby zaleski7 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:21 pm

Can I replace the Avid bb5's on my 2008 Tour with bb7's? If so, is it a simple remove and replace, or there additional steps that need to be taken?
zaleski7

Re: BB5 to BB7

UNREAD_POSTby chonk on Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 am

Yes.

Although it does require some mechanical ability. Then Adjustment.
Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
Marketing Dude
TerraTrike / WizWheelz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
chonk
Site Admin

UNREAD_POSTby zaleski7 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:20 pm

When converting from avid bb5 to bb7, should I also go with the 185mm rotor? Does the bb7 install to the same mount that the bb5 uses? Would a 185 rotor mount to the same interface as the 160 mm rotor? I have fenders on my bike and the fender struts also act as spacers for the brake mounts. Would this stay the same or are there different shims/spacers required for bb7?

I want to make sure I have all the parts, accessories and spacers before I start. We've only got one LBS here and they've never seen a "contraption" like mine. What else do I need to know that I wasn't smart enough to ask?
Thanks.
zaleski7

UNREAD_POSTby kellib on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 am

zaleski7 wrote:When converting from avid bb5 to bb7, should I also go with the 185mm rotor? No.Does the bb7 install to the same mount that the bb5 uses? Yes.Would a 185 rotor mount to the same interface as the 160 mm rotor?Yes. I have fenders on my bike and the fender struts also act as spacers for the brake mounts. Would this stay the same or are there different shims/spacers required for bb7? Stay the same.

I want to make sure I have all the parts, accessories and spacers before I start. We've only got one LBS here and they've never seen a "contraption" like mine. What else do I need to know that I wasn't smart enough to ask? Nope....smarty pants. Just take the existing brake caliper off and mount the new one on!
Thanks.
Thank you!
Kelli B
Sales, TerraTrike
kellib

UNREAD_POSTby zaleski7 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm

OK. Just one more question, I think...If I decide to take my fenders off, what size spacer do I need to use to position the brake mounts properly to line up with the rotor? Is the spacer a standard part that I can get from you?
Thanx
zaleski7

UNREAD_POSTby kellib on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:13 pm

We space it out with 2 M6 washers. You can get it from us.
Kelli B
Sales, TerraTrike
kellib

Return to Tour