Tire Upgrade?

Tire Upgrade?

UNREAD_POSTby keelbolts on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm looking at purchasing a tadpole trike to replace my Thebis delta. I've looked at the TT Sport, but I'm a bit concerned about its performance. I ride regularly with friends and family w/ DF roadbikes and I don't want to get left behind. I've never been a climber, but on level ground I can hold my own on my Thebis. I've considered upgrading to higher pressure tires such as Scwalbe Duranos. Are the Sport rims up to high pressure tires?
keelbolts

Re: Tire Upgrade?

UNREAD_POSTby bumblebee on Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:41 pm

hi keelbolts,
I'm not sure what your budget is, but try looking at the zoomer sl model. it clocks in at 29 lbs, has a 26in rear wheel and is built for speed.
bumblebee

UNREAD_POSTby Jess_Kess on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:45 am

The TerraTrike rims (stock on the Sport and Sport Elite) will not support a Durano tire. You do have the option of upgrading to Velocity rims. Also, the Sport Pro comes stock with Velocity rims.

If you are concerned with being able to keep up with other bikes, I would suggest either a trike with a 26"rear wheel or a High Speed Drive. The 26"rear wheel is available on the TerraTrike Cruiser, Tour and Zoomers. This add-on accessory will be available this year. If you're stuck on the Sport, you can get the trike sooner and order the retrofit 26"rear wheel kit when they are in stock.

Also, be aware that riding a tadpole trike is very different from other bikes. Depending on how often you ride, it will take a few weeks to get the different muscles working efficiently - don't get discouraged!
Jessica Kessenich
Sales Coordinator
TerraTrike
Jess_Kess

jesse kess smile

UNREAD_POSTby pema on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:01 am

I like Jesse_kess smile
pema

UNREAD_POSTby Bubba Bear on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:55 am

Jess_Kess wrote:The TerraTrike rims (stock on the Sport and Sport Elite) will not support a Durano tire. You do have the option of upgrading to Velocity rims. Also, the Sport Pro comes stock with Velocity rims.

If you are concerned with being able to keep up with other bikes, I would suggest either a trike with a 26"rear wheel or a High Speed Drive. The 26"rear wheel is available on the TerraTrike Cruiser, Tour and Zoomers. This add-on accessory will be available this year. If you're stuck on the Sport, you can get the trike sooner and order the retrofit 26"rear wheel kit when they are in stock.

Jess,

If I get the Sport Pro with the HSD, do I really need the 26" rear wheel? Or would it just be even faster with both?
I also want to get the Wide Range Option. I want a trike for long tours and then to be able to go zooming down all the empty country roads near my home.

Do you think the Sport Pro is the trike for such things?
Recumbent Riders Are Laid Back People
State of Residence: Arizona Hometown: WHEELING, WV
Hometown's Motto: Get the Wheeling Feeling My Motto: I got the 3 Wheeling Feeling!
Bubba Bear

UNREAD_POSTby Jess_Kess on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:09 am

If you have both you will have the opportunity to go faster because you will have some crazy high gears! No, I don't think you would need both - but that's just one opinion. Adding a 26" rear wheel will also cut out some of the lower, climbing gears. The choice is yours.

The wide range option is actually not necessary for the Sport Pro - it already has the wide-range package in it's stock gearing.

The TerraTrike Sport platform is great for fast riding. The aluminum frame is solid and will feel like so as you're racing around the back country!
Jessica Kessenich
Sales Coordinator
TerraTrike
Jess_Kess

UNREAD_POSTby Bubba Bear on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Jess_Kess wrote:If you have both you will have the opportunity to go faster because you will have some crazy high gears! No, I don't think you would need both - but that's just one opinion. Adding a 26" rear wheel will also cut out some of the lower, climbing gears. The choice is yours.

The wide range option is actually not necessary for the Sport Pro - it already has the wide-range package in it's stock gearing.

The TerraTrike Sport platform is great for fast riding. The aluminum frame is solid and will feel like so as you're racing around the back country!

Jess,

Once again, you are a veritable plethora of great, money saving information!

I think I'll just go with the HSD and forget the larger rear wheel. And no need for the Wide Range Option since it is already there!

All I need to do now is get a test ride under my belt and place the order!

It's kinda hard to NOT buy a Terra Trike after getting such great customer service! ;)
Recumbent Riders Are Laid Back People
State of Residence: Arizona Hometown: WHEELING, WV
Hometown's Motto: Get the Wheeling Feeling My Motto: I got the 3 Wheeling Feeling!
Bubba Bear

UNREAD_POSTby Jess_Kess on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for the Kudos, Bubba :D
Jessica Kessenich
Sales Coordinator
TerraTrike
Jess_Kess

Return to Sport