Tour ll Steering Changes?

edited April 2013 in Tour II
I have been looking at the Tour II and some of its "competition". One concern I had was with the linkage steering and the difference in touring radius from bikes with direct steering. Has this been an issue for those who own a Tour II? The local dealer did not have an unsold Tour II that I could ride, but did have a used Cruiser that I tried out. After having to do a 3-point turn to change directions in a wide driveway (even while jamming the handlebars into my thighs), I started to rethink my choice of bike models. But I did notice on the TT website in the Model specifications charts that the turning radius of a Cruiser or Tour was 9.5 feet, while the turning radius of a Tour II is 6.25 feet. Were there significant changes in the Tour II that resulted in this improvement, or maybe just a new method of measurement? Thank you!

Having test "drove" a Sportster, the Cruiser, and a Catrike Trail, I will probably wait and try out a Tour II before deciding. But I was curious about what others had experienced.

• ... grade.html
    Check this site out TT can add this to your TourII
    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”
  • Thank you for the information. I read through the comments and watched the video. It looks promising, although I will admit that grinding off a portion of the frame of a new trike wouldn't be my first choice of solutions for the turning radius issue. From seeing the spec's on their website, I had wondered if something had changed that resulted in the different numbers.

Just heard that it will be another week before a Tour II might be available to test locally.
  • I did mine myself and I like the change
    Was not hard to do you just have to take your time
    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”
  • You don't have to do the grinding. I installed on my cruiser and didn't do the grinding. Honestly the grinding doesn't gain you much, so I chose not to do it and haven't had hardly any problems. The steering is much tighter now and doesn't hit my thighs as much.
    TerraTrike Cruiser
  • Thank you very much for the information. I think that makes it a slightly more appealing option, even if only from an mental perspective.

For some reason, I just went out and checked the link to the TT models, and under the Tour II, there is a line which says that there is a new tighter turning radius (actually it says tigter). I wonder why I had never noticed that before. (You ever have times when you wish you had captured an image of a webpage because it just doesn't look the same, but you just can't be sure?) Anyway, I am looking forward to test riding a Tour II in a couple of days. These 70 degree days in Iowa this early in the year are almost a perfect excuse for a new bike (or trike).
  • I had a brief chance to ride a Tour II this afternoon. It was explained to me at the local bike shop that a larger plate was now used in the steering to reduce the turning radius, and my ride around the parking lot confirmed that. I wish I had had time for a longer ride, but even a short one moved it back up to the top of my list of candidates for purchase!

Thanks for your assistance and the input.
  • When going down hills I found the steering to be super sensitive, so I added a dampener.
    I have attached a link to photos of my version of a TerraTrike Tour II Pro Dampener. It does
    not affect the steering at low speeds and dampens the steering at high speeds.
  • I've found the turning radius of my Tour II to be quite acceptable, no upgrade needed. I can easily make around a squared-off sidewalk turn. No need to make it turn like a forklift.
  • I just brought home a Tour II this evening, and after a few miles around the neighborhood, I would have to say that the steering feels just fine! It will take some practice to get rid of some old riding habits that are causing pedal steer. (And I do really like the fingertip shifters that the local TT dealer in Des Moines installs on most of its Tours.)

I am looking forward to a very fun summer (and fall)!
  • Turning radius is perfect.

My LBS installed handlegrips instead of the tape. They are rubber and very comfortable, a super upgrade and they didn't even charge me for them. The BE shift cables are under the grips and actual make better to grip.
  • I have had my Tour II for about four weeks now. There is a definite difference in the turning radius of the "linkage" steering TerraTrikes versus the "direct' steering systems such as the Rambler. I have ridden a Rambler and it turns sharper than the Tour II. I prefer the Tour II because it sits lower and handles quite well. What I wanted to comment on is the previously posted information on the Linkage Plate modification that Utah Trikes sells to improve the turning radius of some trikes. Be advised, this modification appears to have already been incorporated to some extent on the Tour II -- because my frame has already been notched and the steering plate on my trike looks similar in size to the one that you can buy from Utah Trikes: ... grade.html
    By the way -- there is a disclaimer on that website that now says -- PLEASE NOTE: Compatible with the Terratrike Race, Path, Cruiser, and 1st Tour. "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE TOUR II"
  • You are right...that's because the Tour II already has it on there.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • i test rode a tour II and a Rambler today and while I did notice some differences, I was not really able to put my finger on anything in particular that was "standout" different about the steering. One thing I did notice was that the tour II was the only bike with linkage steering outside of the tandem. So, the question is, "What is the real difference between linkage steering and direct steering and can anyone tell a difference?"

Best regards,

• Hey Twin Bay, where did you get the Pro Dampener? Do you have a part Number? Did you get the dampener from
    Terra Trike? How long did it take you to install the dampener?
    Thanks Bob