Tour II Steering

edited January 2014 in Tour II

I am looking at purchasing a trike. A Tour II is on my short list of trikes. I was reading the Bentrider Online review. In it the reviewer says:
"The Tour II is a very easy trike to handle up to about 25 mph or so but does require your full attention over 35 mph."

What does this mean?

I have not test ridden a TT yet, but I have test ridden some Catrikes an some Greenspeeds.

• I ride a Cruiser with a lot of upgrades
    I have found the steering above 25 mph is a little touchy
    I checked the wheel alignment it was out a little so I set the alignment and that helped
    How often do you think you are going to ride over 25 mph??
    I love my TT Cruiser
    I think for the money TT is worth the money and then some
    The tech support is great and so is the TT crew
    They made a believer out of me
    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”
  • How often do you think you are going to ride over 25 mph??

Well to be honest, a lot of hills locally will get me into the 35-47mph on my two wheeled recumbent. That is why I wondered.

I really like the Terratrike line and they seem to be very nice people.

• I just posted this in the general catagory:

When going down hills I found the steering to be super sensitive, so I added a dampener.
    I call today looking for a solution, Saturday, but no answer. I have attached photos of my
    version of a TerraTrike Pro Dampener. It does not affect the steering at low speeds and
    dampens the steering at high speeds.

• The same rotational flexing of the frame that absorbs the shock of bumps hit on one side is also a source of the high speed steering touchiness. If you are going over about 25 mph and lean from one side to the other, you'll be rewarded with a weaving of the trike. You have to keep your upper body very still and don't steer; just think about steering and that is enough to change direction. Alternately, when you're going over 30 mph, lean forward and keep your upper back off the seat. This will minimize any bump-induced weight shifts that cause the weaving. I installed the 26" rear wheel kit and found that the 3" extra wheelbase helps with high speed stability, but the frame flexing deal is still there. Goes with the Tour II. Note "Tour" not "Race" or "Ferrarri" or whatever. This is a very comfortable trike, well designed, and I can just about take a nap on it if I rest the back of my helmet on top of my trunk bag.

One solution to better high speed handling is to increase the steering angle or "rake" (increase castor angle) but that puts a different stress on parts. But again, the Tour II is not a racing machine.
  • I’ve commented in the past on the Tour II’s handling. Now that I have the correct seat bolts installed, I still had plenty of flex and bump steer going on. When I discovered the seat bolt problem, I also had the chain off for cleaning and was messing with other stuff, so while the seat mount/clamp got the attention it needed, I slacked on something else and hardly noticed it. The seat no longer creaked around, but I still felt a lot of flex. Yesterday, I discovered the item I had loosened and not completely tightened after I was done tinkering. I have developed the following checklist for all trike owners that could be used to track down weird handling problems:

1) wheel alignment (0-1 mm toe-in is my recommendation)
    2) seat mount (tight and vertical)
    3) latte / donut position – it’s tough to hit 40 mph with these distractions; keep both hands on the bars
    4) rear axle – skewer must be tight to help prevent swaying (this would be the overlooked item)

The best way I found to assemble the seat clamp is to install the top bolt snug, then both seat mounts bolts. Ensure it's vertical, insert both bottom bolts loosely, then crank down the the top bolt. Tight both bottom bolts. This seems to work best at letting the clamp do it's thing and now that it's on, it won't move. I do weigh 200 lbs, ride on two wheels occasionally for my kids' entertainment, and like to corner hard. I carry a lot of tools (10-15 lbs?) in my rack back and panniers on both sides, usually loaded with work clothes, shoes, water on the outside, etc. If someone is going to break this thing, I'll be first in line.

I was also playing with a small amount of toe-out before I discovered the rear skewer was barely snug at all. I cranked that skewer back down tight, reset alignment to 0, as I don't find any toe-in that helps. My ride to work this morning over the usual bumps, cracks, bridge seams, cats, etc. was a totally different experience. Bump steer is all but gone, not even worth mentioning, and leaning forward off the seat at high speed makes no noticeable difference like it did before. Frame flexing is greatly reduced and feels almost as stout at my wife’s Rover. I hit 38 on one of my downhills and, while full attention is required, it was pretty stable. Only took me 1,500 miles to get it right!!! Thanks again to TerraTrike for all the help.
  • When I first got my Tour (not a II) I found the steering over 30-35mph very squirrely. After tightening the seat mount as best as could be done (and after having snapped the original bot and replacing it with a SS bolt) it still tended toward oversteer.

Finally, I inflated my tires to the 100 lbs they are rated, and the problem vanished.

Make sure you have proper tire inflation.
  • N.B.: The tires are Schwalbe Marathons, rated 40-100 lbs. Go for the 100.
  • Excellent point. All mine are the CST types. I do have an aftermarket rear 26" wheel after I bent the stock one that came with the extension kit. The harder I have the rear inflated, the better the handling. Front pressure doesn't seem to matter, but at 30-40 I wouldn't think it would. Looking forward to Marathon Plus tires up front. Will keep the CST in back until it wears out or if there is a serious handling issue.