Seat slip, go away [fix]

edited March 2014 in Rover
I got tired of my seat slipping and finally did something about it. Used what was recommended once before on here, but the pictures have since been taken off. So, I figure I'll put my version on here.

Using (4) 3" 5/8" mending brackets, (4) 4" 1/4-20 bolts (what I had on hand) (4) nylon lock nuts and some heat shrink to keep it from marring the frame too bad.
There really isn't much to this, I stacked 2 brackets on top of each other, heat shrinked them, ran the bolts through, heat shrinked them, then put 2 more heat shrinked brackets on the bottom of the frame, tighten down the nylon lock nuts.
SeatStops.jpg
The bolts aren't bent, just the brackets. I know how it looks though.
Any questions or want more pics, please ask.

Comments

• I don't think that seat is sliding anywhere! ;) I've also had a customer purchase a second seat bracket to fit behind the original clamp to help keep it from sliding. This also allows easy removal if you ever decide to move the seat later on.
    Lydia R.
    Customer Service Manager
    TerraTrike - Part of the Solution
  • I justed lucked into a great "fix" when my dealer did my original Rover setup. He adjusted the boom length to about the shortest he could -- just long enough so my heels didn't strike the transverse axle bar of the frame. Then he removed enough chain segments to have the right tension with the boom in that position. When I sat on the trike to adjust the seat position -- WALLA! It worked perfectly with the seat bracket backed right up to the rear, left-side frame bolt! No slippage there!

As a added stroke of good fortune, the seat all the way forward to the front frame bolt was the perfect adjustment for my wife. So in those first weeks when we were trading the Rover back and forth between us, moving the seat was a breeze. All the way back for me. All the way forward for her.

Maybe this information will help someone else here. I am 5'11, the wife is 5'2".
  • All I can think of is that I don't pedal hard enough to make it slide? I have never had any issue with my seat sliding, though I know many who have. Just lucky I guess?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • I'm not sure what was causing it, sometimes It would slide forward, sometimes back. When it slid too far back, I had to have help standing up since my legs would hit the cross bar and I wouldn't have enough balance/leg strength without having my feet more under me.
  • Our Rover seat kept slipping, that is until I learned the right combination of turning and pushing on the little lever to make it stay in place. We will see how it stays for Dennis, he has it moved all the way forward, he may need to adjust the boom? He has shorter legs than I.
  • It's really personal preference about where to have the seat. There was a discussion about this on BROL a while back if I remember correctly. It basically boiled down to some liked it forward with the boom out, others liked it farther back with the boom shorter.
    The arguments were: It can lead to possible loss of traction if the seat is too far forward and not reclined enough from not enough weight on the back tire. OR The other thinking is that too far back can make the steering squirrely if the seats too far back and not enough weight close to the front tires.
  • I remember that thread. Myself, I took into account two points (I am 6'0"), the 'shorter' the trike is overall, the easier it fits in the back of my Tucson, and, I ended up basically in the middle of the seat range - this gives me the ability to recline the seat as much or as little as I like, and with about 20-30lbs over the rear rack, I find I have a 40% rear weight bias | 60% front weight bias - and I almost never do a 'stopee', or have any other issues of any kind. Perhaps that is simply due to so much weight on the trike? I do not know, but I am happy.
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Issues of weight distribution -- fore and aft -- are ALL solved when you add the Rover tandem attachment and take your honey for a ride together. In our house, that solves and preempts lots of other problems, too. :)
  • VooDooCC wrote:
    I got tired of my seat slipping and finally did something about it. Used what was recommended once before on here, but the pictures have since been taken off. So, I figure I'll put my version on here.

When did you purchase your Rover? Were the "new" plastic seat shims included? Were the proper instructions included for either you, or your LBS?

When the folks at my LBS put my bike together, they only used two of the four shims... and they were installed backwards, upside down. There is no mention whatsoever of the shims/slippage issue in the current version of the manual, assembly instructions. There is an addendum to the manual, an additional page about the shims--but for whatever reason, this piece of critical information is not included in the box with the bike!

The result?

2012-08-17_10-12-41_364.jpg

2012-08-17_10-12-48_487.jpg

2012-08-17_10-13-00_275.jpg

If you are ordering one yourself, or ordering one through your local bike shop, make sure the proper information is included.
  • Also...

This video, uploaded August 30, 2011, is a very well-done, well-produced video--except for the fact that is it outdated. The "shim stock" (first reference @ 1:13) is the old shim material, not the new plastic shims. This needs to be updated (I would recommend Godzilla as a co-star!)
  • I have the plastic slide on shims, but they just weren't holding. I attribute it to my weight and bumpy roads.
  • VooDooCC, where did you obtain the parts for your fix? Plain ol' hardware store, like Home Depot? The new shims did not hold. During a six-mile ride on Saturday, I had to stop and adjust the seat eight, maybe nine times. I think your idea, if it does not work, will send me down a different path with TerraTrike.
  • I got mine at a Menard's, but any hardware store should have them. Another user on here got their at Ace, they had to drill out the holes in the mending bracket, but not a big deal.
  • Whom evers Rover this is, should slide that frame together and get rid of that gap in the frame. it will cause extra frame flex.

2012-08-17_10-12-48_487.jpg
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • chonk, that would be me. I'll check that when I get home. The referenced image was taken before a different mechanic at the LBS got hold of it--he seemed to know more about recumbent bikes. It's possible he fixed it, and we didn't notice. I'll check my phone, too, as I took some more images after this past Saturday's ride.
  • Just wanted to say thanks for linking the seat shim addendum. I was out for a maiden ride today on a Rover Tandem and was stopping every 100 feet to adjust the slipping seat. The proper shim placement was not detailed in the Rover manual or the Rover Tandem manual.

After one ride, I already have some nice scratches in the paint, but at least I'll be able to stop the seat from sliding now.
  • I have the Rover tandem with the new shims and still had the seat sliding back problem. Two days ago I got the idea to put electrical tape on the plastic shims to give it a little grip. I have since ridden about 50 miles with no slippage whereas before I was moving the seat back forward about every 2 miles
  • I find it amazing that for the price of these things and how we hear so much about them that this fix is even in the forum.  The factory missed the boat on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Should not have to go to Home Depot to fix a known problem with the seat!
  • edited July 2017
    The new shims are mere plastic pieces that appear to be shipping protectors. They are not easily installed.287fq2aezm3j.jpg

The bike shop had the bracket on the quick release installed upside down on mine too.

¬ ITL
  • Only had my seat slip once. Took it to the local bike shop (Spin) and was told that it normally slips when installed incorrectly. They told me that too often, trikes come in that have the seat clamp installed upside down, and all too often owners don't have it clamped in properly. They showed me the problem, the fix, then applied the fix, and it has never slipped again.

I've been told that if the seat clamp was at some point installed upside down, and then someone tried to really tighten it down upside down, the only (original parts only) fix may be to purchase and install properly, a new seat clamp. Of course, there are less eloquent ways to stop the seat from moving even with an upside down clamp.
  • That U shaped piece in the picture broke on mine because I tried to tighten it too much. The U clamp behind the seat bracket fixed the problem. It hasn't slipped since last fall.