Work Stand

edited July 2013 in Tour II
I built this work stand from plans that I found on Utah Trike's website and it's one of my most useful accessories. I built it just as described, but I left a couple of joints without glue so the stand can be broken down for transport and storage. Cutting the pipes with a hacksaw was a bit of a workout, but the most challenging part is getting everything glued together right. Unless care is taken you could end up with a crooked stand. I put together sub-assemblies first. Some sections can be squared up by laying them flat on a table. The removable rear part of the stand is an example. Once the glue was dry on the flat sections, then I put the sub-assemblies together to make the stand. Take time and care when assembling to get things straight. I spent a couple of days putting mine together.

Rob

Plans can be found at http://www.utahtrikes.com/ARTICLE-47.html

Stand%201.JPG

Stand%202.JPG

Stand%203.JPG

Comments

• Gary,
    Got your PM but my forum permissions do not allow me to respond. Sent a couple of messages to the site admin to resolve the issue, but have not received a response. Send another PM with an email address and I will reply.

Rob
  • Robpur, here's my work stand: 95148194@N05
  • 74man wrote:
    Robpur, here's my work stand: 95148194@N05

Not able to see the image you posted.
  • I can't see the image either, but perhaps the pic that 74man was trying to share is included in another link that he provided in a different thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95148194@N05/

Rob
  • You can use the Wayback machine to find old copies of webpages. Here is one with the pictures. https://web.archive.org/web/20120817154024/http://www.utahtrikes.com/ARTICLE-47.html
  • This is very nice. However, I think I will modify it a bit and put the upper section on saw horses. Thanks for posting.
    Bruce
  • In a pinch a month ago I put the Rover on a pair of metal folding sawhorses.
    The top was wood, covered with carpet
    Centered Trike on one just back of the tie rod.
  • So, this leaves me to ask what do the dealers have as work stands? I bought mine from a dealer who apparently worked off the floor, as many adjustments needed to be made when I got it home.
  • I just built my own using the Utah Trikes model. I had to adjust length and the two front supports to fit my Rambler. It works great and only cost $50.
  • TerraTrike never really shows their stands, save the one for the Rover's Low Rider Rack. Here I thought they'd use an electrical pulley system set on a book from overhead...

http://terratrike.com/ttforum/uploads/editor/np/5890l7t4zyxh.jpg

¬ ITL
  • kitchen table when the wife isn't home.
  • I made mine out of PVC. I just screwed it together planning on gluing it eventually, but I haven't gotten around to that part yet despite having built the stand before Christmas 2016. It would be sturdier if I glued together, but it works just fine screwed together. It fits the Rover & Traveler both. Here is a link to a good article that shows several commercially available models and several PVC versions as well as plans to make your own. I know Sports Crafter's has a $450 bike-shop model trike stand. Let us know what you end up doing.
  • edited July 2017
    I assume TCEd jests about the kitchen table, but, on a similar note, I have found that our picnic table is perfect. Regardless of which side of the trike I need to access, I have a nice bench on which to sit. Of course, my wife requires that, first, I remove the picnic table cover. :-(
  • I assume TCEd jests about the kitchen table, but, on a similar note, I have found that our picnic table is perfect. Regardless of which side of the trike I need to access, I have a nice bench on which to sit. Of course, my wife requires that, first, I remove the picnic table cover. :-(

Yes, I'm joking. The very few times i need to work on it in a elevated position I place it on top of a workbench in the garage or one of the dog crates downstairs. I just don't want a very seldom used stand taking up space in the garage.
  • Has anyone considered suspension?
  • Mine is suspended let me see if i can get a few photos
  • brucecody wrote: »
    Has anyone considered suspension?

msmkqrmdrjmy.jpg
    ljnslskuks2c.jpg
    g1pjpprcksru.jpg
    q3pyljcl75vi.jpg
    avstwapvwyri.jpg
    zz3ylu03kmbr.jpg
  • Where is this hanging? Basement or
    garage?
  • If had the skills, resources, and materials would redo the veranda and have a track rail attached above. That would roll out the Rover to the far end, and allow a controlled pickup & delivery system, with a tilting and sliding ramp that would come out between the top of the steps and flooring.
    Then hook that up by remote control for when I come home the hoist will be there waiting and the ramp would slide out to ride on in.

Such track rail would also double for maintenance work.

¬ ITL
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    Where is this hanging? Basement or
    garage?

It's in my garage