Free weekend on the Raccoon!

edited June 2013 in Iowa
Central Iowa riders: So that I do not sleep in again on this coming Saturday, I am going to open my mouth and stick my feet in it! Since it will be the second weekend in June, the Raccoon River Valley trail ( will be free all weekend. I plan to leave the Waukee access point plaza at 6:55 am and head for Redfield so that I might get to their community fund-raising breakfast (about 2 blocks North of the Depot) before they stop serving at 9am. That is about 17 miles. You could then return to Waukee for a trip of about 35 miles. I plan to continue clockwise around the newly completed loop and return to Waukee for a total of about 71 miles. The larger climbs on the rail trail are out of the valley going North from Redfield and East from Adel. The rest of the trail is basically flat. Feel free to join me for some or all of the ride. If you want something shorter and flatter, I suggest that you try any part of the newly completed North Loop between Herndon (just West of Jamaica) and Waukee. If you want a break while riding just South of Perry, stop by the Forrest Park Museum, owned by the Dallas County Conservation Board. It is always free and is open on Saturday afternoon between 1 and 4 pm. There are plenty of places to stop and eat right along the trail, like Caboose park in Perry and the Korner Kone in Dallas Center. I look forward to seeing you there!