Traveler Folding Trike

edited December 2013 in General Discussions
I am really excited about the new folding trike. When will it be available? I see in the video in folded position that it fits in a Mini Cooper with the rear seat up. Will two Travelers fit in a hatchback car with the rear seat in the down position?
John Werner
Rover Tandem Alfine 11 /w IPS

Comments

• Hey John,

Sorry about the late response. We just finished up our Annual Dealer Day event with over 120 dealers and it's been consumer most of everyones time these last few weeks.

The Traveler is going to be a huge trike for us. I'm still working on getting the specs together but we believe it is the worlds smallest production folding trike on the market. We've always said that a folding trike that you still have to use an SUV to transport is pointless. We've worked for 2 years to get it right.

The Traveler is also the first (we believe) folding trike that is airline checkable. You can safely put one in the back of a small hatchback and even fits in most sedan trunks. There will be an optional carry bag sold separately that will have rollers just like in the video.

The Traveler is based off the Rambler platform but does have a completely new frame. We didn't just take the Rambler, cut it in half and weld a hinge in it. It is only 2.5 pounds heavier than the standard Rambler and can be assembled very quickly. We are able to go from trunk to trail in under a minute.

They will be available early next spring and we'll have more specifics on it shortly. Pricing will be $1799/External 8 Speed, $1999/Base and $2499 GT level.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Jeff -

There are a lot of people excited by this. A trike checkable as luggage on airlines and trains opens up so many possibilities for touring and for day rides. Probably has a chance of being carried on subways and commuter trains, too. I can see the Traveler becoming like the Brompton bike for trikers.

I do wish there were an IGH option, either the Nexus or NuVinci N360.

Ken
  • We are considering it after a lot of customer requests. I'll keep you posted.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Hi Chonk,

Thanks for the reply. Will be watching this spring for the release of the Traveler. Sounds just like what my wife and I need for trips. I am assuming since one will fit in a Mini Cooper with rear seat up, that two will fit in a Mazda 3 hatchback with rear seat down. It would be nice to use the car on longer trips instead of our Odyssey van. The car gets 15 mpg better than the van. Also we live near the Katy trail and there is a train to the trailhead in Sedalia. With the folding trikes we could take them on the train and then ride back.

I agree the Nexus IGH would be nice. It needs more high end, 62 GI is definitely on the low end. Now a Nexus with a Patterson drive would be nice.
    John Werner
  • Shouldn't be an issue.
    Here's a photo we took of a Traveler in the back of a Volkswagon GTI
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/100985847@N06/10608223446/
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Yes, the IGH would be on my 'must have' list before taking this model seriously.

All that folding, unfolding, carrying around, squeezed into tight spaces, thrown around in luggage handling by airline folks.. I wouldn't think of trusting a deraileur system to weather all that well.
  • chonk wrote:
    Shouldn't be an issue.
    Here's a photo we took of a Traveler in the back of a Volkswagon GTI
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/100985847@N06/10608223446/
    Thanks Chonk. Yes, two folded would definitely fit in a Mazda 3 with the rear seat down.
    WilhelmGGW wrote:
    Yes, the IGH would be on my 'must have' list before taking this model seriously.

All that folding, unfolding, carrying around, squeezed into tight spaces, thrown around in luggage handling by airline folks.. I wouldn't think of trusting a deraileur system to weather all that well.
    I agree that the IGH is the way to go on the Traveler. Hope it is an option.
    John Werner
  • ktcat2 wrote:
    It looks like it rolls when folded up? Does it require the carrying case to be rolled when folded like luggage?!
    The carrying case rolls but the folded trike does not roll. So you would need the case to roll it.
    ktcat2 wrote:
    Everyone else, what is the advantage of the IGH? I'm still a bit of a bike/trike novice.
    No derailleur sticking down to get bent or broken off when traveling with the trike.
    John Werner
  • We were also hoping you would offer a Nuvinci CVP Hub on the rear with maybe a 34/85 Schlumph HSD on the front thus eliminating derailleurs altogether and providing a lots of gear inches. Please let us know when you begin taking orders.
    Dana
    Summerville, SC
    Tandem Pro
  • edited November 2013
    I imagine someone at TerraTrike will need to respond to this post since I doubt anyone else has seen an actual Traveler. I assume the Traveler is based on the Rambler frame. I am wondering how the chain is tightened on the Rambler since it does not have horizontal dropouts. Does it use an eccentric bottom bracket? I am interested in ordering a couple of Travelers when they become available. If there is no IGH option I would like to convert them to IGH, probably Alfine 8 or 11. I am not a lover of the non red band Nexus that TT is currently using, prefer Alfine or Nexus red band. Also does the Traveler have 135mm dropout spacing?
    John Werner
  • UPDATE!

We have decided after a lot of comments/suggestions/pleas from our customers to offer the Traveler in an internally geared 8 speed (Nexus) rather than a derailleur system for the entry level model. Still at the same price too!

I believe this is now the only folding trike with an IGH.

Also, I have uploaded a slew of pictures that you can view here: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjN9ygdi
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• chonk wrote:
    UPDATE!

We have decided after a lot of comments/suggestions/pleas from our customers to offer the Traveler in an internally geared 8 speed (Nexus) rather than a derailleur system for the entry level model. Still at the same price too!
    This is great news! Really makes since on a folder to use an IGH. No worry about bending or snapping off the RD when transporting the trike when folded.

Will TT be using the Nexus red band version? This is the premium Nexus that uses roller bearings. http://www.hubstripping.com/shimano-inter8/shimano-nexus-inter-8-features.jpg
    John Werner
  • iambent wrote:
    chonk wrote:
    UPDATE!

This is great news! Really makes since on a folder to use an IGH. No worry about bending or snapping off the RD when transporting the trike when folded.

Will TT be using the Nexus red band version? This is the premium Nexus that uses roller bearings. http://www.hubstripping.com/shimano-inter8/shimano-nexus-inter-8-features.jpg

If TT does'nt offer the Premium Nexus on other trikes they sell, you can be sure it will be the standard Nexus on the Traveler.
    Happy Trikings !
  • TriKings wrote:
    If TT does'nt offer the Premium Nexus on other trikes they sell, you can be sure it will be the standard Nexus on the Traveler.
    The premium Nexus red-band costs about $18 more than the standard Nexus. I would be more than willing to pay an extra $18 for the superior hub.
    John Werner
  • iambent wrote:
    TriKings wrote:
    The premium Nexus red-band costs about $18 more than the standard Nexus. I would be more than willing to pay an extra $18 for the superior hub.

If the Nexus Premium 8 Hub cost is only $18.00 more than the Nexus standard Hub, Terra Trike would have offered only the Premium 8 on all of their Nexus 8 Trike's Rovers, Rambler and Tour, I always said a cheaper way to get a Rover with a Alfine 8 speed hub , is to buy a Single speed Rover for $699.00 ,take the rear wheel off and send it to Harris cyclery in Mass, to have it stipped relaced with a Afine 8 speed for less than $350.00... That would be the way I would go. :lol: :? :o :D :shock:
    Happy Trikings !
  • TriKings wrote:
    If the Nexus Premium 8 Hub cost is only $18.00 more than the Nexus standard Hub, Terra Trike would have offered only the Premium 8 on all of their Nexus 8 Trike's Rovers, Rambler and Tour, I always said a cheaper way to get a Rover with a Alfine 8 speed hub , is to buy a Single speed Rover for $699.00 ,take the rear wheel off and send it to Harris cyclery in Mass, to have it stipped relaced with a Afine 8 speed for less than $350.00... That would be the way I would go. :lol: :? :o :D :shock:
    $17 difference from Bike Wagon. Same price at Jenson, but Bike Wagon is cheaper on either hub than Jenson. TT probably got a batch deal on some hubs that Shimano wanted to unload and just bought up the batch. Nexus hubs use 132 mm dropout spacing and Alfine uses 135 mm spacing. Better check with TT that it is not going to void the warranty to spread the dropouts an extra 3 mm to fit the Alfine.

http://www.bikewagon.com/nexus-inter8-premium-hub-sg-8r36-36h-roller-brake

http://www.bikewagon.com/nexus-inter-8-coaster-brake-hub-sg-8c31-36h
    John Werner
  • iambent wrote:
    TriKings wrote:
    $17 difference from Bike Wagon. Same price at Jenson, but Bike Wagon is cheaper on either hub than Jenson. TT probably got a batch deal on some hubs that Shimano wanted to unload and just bought up the batch. Nexus hubs use 132 mm dropout spacing and Alfine uses 135 mm spacing. Better check with TT that it is not going to void the warranty to spread the dropouts an extra 3 mm to fit the Alfine.

http://www.bikewagon.com/nexus-inter8-premium-hub-sg-8r36-36h-roller-brake

http://www.bikewagon.com/nexus-inter-8-coaster-brake-hub-sg-8c31-36h

The Standard Nexus 8 is usually about $135.00 and is the Nexus that TT uses on their that I have seen that is about $60.00 less than the Premium Nexus 8 and not the $17 bucks you say it is. :roll:
    The Sg-8c31 model that you linked is a coaster brake and not the Nexus in question but it's cost is around $180 bucks and there is where the $17/$18 difference is. ;)
    Happy Trikings !
  • You can get the premium red-band Nexus sans brake from Niagra for $138.16. I could not find a standard model online that is brakeless. Seems the brakes add about $60, so I figure you could probably buy a standard model for around $120 without the brake.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SG-8R36-Universal-Nexus-Silver/dp/B001GSQWKM
    The Sg-8c31 model that you linked is a coaster brake and not the Nexus in question but it's cost is around $180 bucks and there is where the $17/$18 difference is.
    The premium Sg-8r36 model that I linked is also a roller brake model. I would imagine the roller brake is at least as expensive if not more so than the coaster brake.

This is all a moot point because Chonk has already stated that the Traveler is coming with the standard Nexus. So if you want the premium needle bearing model or another IGH hub, one will need to upgrade it himself.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showpost.php?p=1160741&postcount=24
    John Werner
  • :cry:
    iambent wrote:
    You can get the premium red-band Nexus sans brake from Niagra for $138.16. I could not find a standard model online that is brakeless. Seems the brakes add about $60, so I figure you could probably buy a standard model for around $120 without the brake.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SG-8R36-Universal-Nexus-Silver/dp/B001GSQWKM
    The Sg-8c31 model that you linked is a coaster brake and not the Nexus in question but it's cost is around $180 bucks and there is where the $17/$18 difference is.
    The premium Sg-8r36 model that I linked is also a roller brake model. I would imagine the roller brake is at least as expensive if not more so than the coaster brake.

This is all a moot point because Chonk has already stated that the Traveler is coming with the standard Nexus. So if you want the premium needle bearing model or another IGH hub, one will need to upgrade it himself.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showpost.php?p=1160741&postcount=24

The Amazon link you shared is for a universal Nexus 8 kit with no shifter and is not the Premium Nexus because it Does Not say it is a Premium and the fact that it Does Not indicate a RED-Band around it in any part of the discription, if it DON'T say Premium and has NO Red-Band, it's NOT.

I said 3 days ago that you can be sure that the Traveler will come with the standard Nexus because some of TT's other trikes come with the standard, so one can say I proved that moot point, being that Chonk only said that in his yesterday's post that you also linked. I believe in what I don't see more than in what I some times read, now
    I retire my comments on this thread. :cry: :? :lol:
    Happy Trikings !
  • The Amazon link you shared is for a universal Nexus 8 kit with no shifter and is not the Premium Nexus because it Does Not say it is a Premium and the fact that it Does Not indicate a RED-Band around it in any part of the discription, if it DON'T say Premium and has NO Red-Band, it's NOT.
    Oh but it is the red-band hub. It says it right in the description that it is the SG-8R36, which is the premium red-band hub. It even shows a nice large photo of the hub with the red-band around it.

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/0/nexus/product.-code-SG-8R36.-type-..html

http://www.rideyourbike.com/shimanoIGH.shtml
    Scroll down to where you see, "Below are pictures of an overhaul of a Shimano Nexus SG-8R36 'Red Band' Hub".
    John Werner
  • This is only a humble thought, when purchasing my next tricumbent, it will be a "Terra Trike, Traveler/Nu Vinci 380". the reasons are various, but well thought out, the Nu Vinci 380 far exceeds the Shimano Nexus IGH by far.
    Art Foley (KB0UWR)
    Glenwood, Ia.

• Looking into a traveler with the n380, but why it TT doubling the cost of the n380 to add it to the bike?
  • edited February 2017
    What do you mean? A quick search shows the n380 retailing at around the $325/$330 mark. The Traveler n380 is $300 more than the x24. ($2499/$2199) Same price difference on the Rambler, too.

- PaulNM
  • My local dealer questioned why TT is doing that also. Considering the cost to TT for the n380 is less than $200. If it takes the place of the x24, why is it so much more ? My dealer could build it cheaper and put it on a base traveler. Come on TT, cut some slack.
  • Where are you getting the less than $200 figure? 

- PaulNM
  • TT doesn't pay retail for other suppliers parts, they pay about $200 for the n380
  • Again, what's your evidence? While it's true that sometimes companies can get stuff cheaper via bulk/wholesale, they're not going to get over 38% off something like this. Also, no one charges exact cost to build stuff. Labor, time, and profit have to be factored in. 

I've tried to be polite, but if you're going to spout nonsense prices at least be consistent with it. 

- PaulNM