26 Inch Coversion on TT

edited March 2010 in General Discussions
Hello---I am in the process of rebuilding the front axles on my TT and thought at this time it would be a good time to try the 26 inch conversion. Has anyone know if the kit will work on a TT. Mine is (I think) a 2006 model. It was one of the ones that had the frame recalled. Looking at the pictures of the conversion, it is hard to tell if the original dropouts match. Thank you----John MacLeod

Comments

• I don't know without seeing your the dropouts of your trike.

You can send me a pic of your dropouts with a short note to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jessica@terratrike.com">jessica@terratrike.com</a><!-- e -->.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Hi Jess,

On another post about the 26" wheel, you said;

"The 26" wheel will shift your gear range higher. This will give you the opportunity to travel much faster in your high gears on flat ground or riding downhill, although it will also cut out the bottom hill-climbing gears. You can choose which wheel you should be riding on depending on your preferred cadence - faster cadence will prefer the 20" rear wheel, slower cadence the 26" wheel. Also considering your hills - long, steep hills will prefer the smaller wheel."

I'll be getting a Terra Trike Tour in a few months and I'm trying to decide if I want the 26" rear wheel upgrade.

I like the idea of being able to go faster and smoother on the flats, but I don't want to lose the lower hill-climbing gears. I'm planning on doing as much long distance touring as possible and a lot of Saturday Century Rides.

I was wondering if getting the 26" wheel and then adding the Wide Range Option on my trike would give me both the speed and the hill climbing gears I want?

In case it makes a difference, I'm 6'4" and currently weigh 260, but I'm in the process of dropping back down to 220. No need to be hauling all those extra pounds around when I'm trying to go fast!

I have never been on a tadpole trike and have only taken one really short ride on a delta. As soon as I found the Terra Trike website and saw the Tour model, I knew I had found my dream machine! A couple of my long distance friends have them and can't stop raving about them.

Thanks in advance for all your help and I am so glad I found this place!

Bubba Bear
    Recumbent Riders Are Laid Back People
    State of Residence: Arizona Hometown: WHEELING, WV
    Hometown's Motto: Get the Wheeling Feeling My Motto: I got the 3 Wheeling Feeling!
  • The wide range option will give back some of the lower gears.

An additional item that will will get you lower gearing is to add the High Speed Drive with the wide range option. Not only does it give you the lower gears, but it gives you a much larger gear range, also on the high end. The wide range option with the High Speed Drive would be a great option even without the 26"rear wheel upgrade.

The Tour is the perfect choice for long Tours, hence the name! We're glad to be here for you, and let us know if you have any other questions!
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Thanks for another quicky reply, Jess!

You've helped me make up mind on a few items I was considering;

I'll get the 26" rear wheel, High Speed Drive, Wide Range Option and the Dual Brake Lever I was talking about on another post earlier today. If I happen to be taking a drink of water and a car pulls in front of me or if I need to stop fast for any reason, being able to stop with one hand sounds like it might be a lifesaving feature in an emergency. I'll gladly give up sharper turning capabilities for that! I'm pretty anal-retentive when it comes to safety.

My new trike will be a birthday present from my wife and she told me "Get what you want with all the bells and whistles if you want to." Well, guess what? I want to! I'm going to be like a kid in a candy store when I place my order!

I've heard nothing but great things about Terra Trikes and I'm looking forward to getting my own and being out on the road again!

Thanks,

Bubba Bear
    Recumbent Riders Are Laid Back People
    State of Residence: Arizona Hometown: WHEELING, WV
    Hometown's Motto: Get the Wheeling Feeling My Motto: I got the 3 Wheeling Feeling!