Nexus vs SA vs Sram - Internally Geared Hubs (IGH)

TerraTrike (TT) lists the gear inches for their various model configurations on this website. Interestingly, while they list the the size of the front sprocket for both Sturmey Archer (SA) and Sram, they provide no info for those of us with the superior, IMHO, Shimano Nexus (SN) IGH.

I recently picked up a TT Traveler, and it came with Sram i8 internally geared hub (IGH). In the year that I have been involved with this forum, I have seen numerous postings involving the Nexus (SN) i8 IGH, and for the SA i8 IGH - But I can't remember a single mention of the Sram IGH. Can anyone speak to the comparative difference between all three IGHs, or at least the Sram IGH? Are they as good as the SA? Are they as robust as the SN hubs?

I hope to put a Patterson on the Traveler and a triple sprocket up front. Anyone see a problem with this setup? Or maybe offer another affordable solution to increase my gear inch range?

TT specifications for the Traveler i8 (Sram), include a 20-62 gear inch range, The SA has a 25-80 gear inch range. Can anyone tell me what the stock Rover with a Nexus IGH would have come with when new in 2014?

And finally, does anyone want to sell a good working Paterson crank set?

• With the exception of the x8, all Rovers come with a 32 tooth front crankset. (The x8 has a 38 tooth) 

A Patterson would effectively replace that with one smaller and one larger sprocket in the front, greatly increasing your gearing range in both directions.

- PaulNM 
  • Good point on cost. Patterson is more expensive even if you factor in a derailleur post, front derailleur, and shifter for a double/triple up front.

- PaulNM
  • Or put a double ring 22/42 up front and get it all. ;-)
  • My math is being fuzzy. What's the bottom and top multipliers for the Sturmey-Archer?
  • TerraTrike is currently only shipping trikes with Internal 8 hubs that are manufactured by Sturmey Archer or Sram. The Nexus 8 is currently not shipping on any new TerraTrikes.

So, If I am following this correctly, If I were to put on a Patterson with a 32 tooth chainring, changed to a 25 tooth rear sprocket, my Nexus 8 Rover would than have ~ 13-65 gear inches. That should give me really good hill climbing ability, and the ability opportunity to pedal ~25 mph if I can reach 90 rpm in 8th gear?! Or the best of both worlds.

Again, if I am following all this correctly, I could achieve roughly the same gear inch range less expensively by adding a chain tensioner and a double chainring - one ring roughly the same size as the stock Rover (Nexus 8) and one roughly 1.66 times bigger - and changing chainrings by grabbing the the chain tube and physically move it onto the appropriate chainring!? And if I like these results, I can continue to use it this way, or add a front derailleur (received my Rover derailleur post from Power On Cycling last week!) to shift between the double chainring.

And if I want even more gear inches, I can add a triple instead of the single or double chainring, make sure I get a triple with a center chainring roughly identical to the Rover's stock chainring, one larger, and one smaller, and then choose a rear sprocket larger than 25 teeth, and end up with a wider gear inch range than the 13-65?! 

• edited December 2016
    According to:

The Nexus only has 16-23 tooth sprockets available.

If you're going to get a double, you may as well get one with a smaller and larger cog than the Rover's 32 to increase your range. A triple will cost pretty much the same as a double, so why not go for that and get smaller increments along your gearing range?

There's no need to have any of the front sprockets be close to the existing one. The higher and lower sprocket ranges will overlap in the same area the old sprocket did.

- PaulNM