Fireside Chat With Chonk

Comments

• GOOD! Then my idea of the welded notched plates is unneeded.

@chonk, will there be any kind of back-port add-on available for owners of previous versions of the Rover?
  • edited May 2017
    chonk -

speaking of upgrades, if you were to sell the new rover cruciform with headset as a stand-alone, would be happy to become first buyer
  • Considering the issues we've had with the seat moving on the Rover, a fixed seat might be a good option.  Does everyone of any size need to sit in the same spot to properly balance the weight over the three wheels?

I think you could get rid of the main frame adjustment.  Mine is all the way in and my boom is all the way out.  If it's still needed for shipping, I understand.
  • I do not know the answers to these. I will ask my R&D guys and see if they can fill me in.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • edited May 2017
    @Florida_bound, most trikes already use a fixed seat position (fore and aft) and adjust for the rider using the boom. "Adjustable seating" for them has meant height, or angle, usually. If they do offer "fore-aft" adjustment, it's been via fixed notches.

Now that TT has switched to a swept-back cruciform for the Rover, the leg room now exists for them to do the same thing with the Rover. I think it's a wonderful idea and eliminates the #1 complaint I've heard (repeatedly) about the Rover.
  • FYI I just enabled a plug in that allows for quoting. Since nested replies arent available in Vanilla Forum I'm hoping this will help with some of these longer threads when trying to reply to someones comments.
    chonk said:
    I do not know the answers to these. I will ask my R&D guys and see if they can fill me in.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited May 2017
    Hey @chonk, I like this new quotation thing, especially when so many posters derail conversations. ;) And your name came up when I did a @ with two letters. Classy!
    ----- okay, it's not allowing paragraphs, instead runs one into the other. Let's try this ---
    Ahh, I see you posted about it. I was replying to another post but clipped the reply out to put here. had to search for this topic to find it. /ponder

¬ ITL
  • edited May 2017
    Test
    The quick brown fox
    jumped over the slow lazy dog
    adding < br >

Test

¬ ITL
  • Hey FYI. I've got another cool announcement I'll be making next Thursday (the 25th). Not a ground breaking new product but something pretty cool that I'm excited about. Something I've been trying to make happen for years. Stay tuned.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited May 2017
    Trike (specifically) helmet with a built in 'swamp cooler effect' cooling system with LED lights on the side?

Rear Trike Lift for in-field wheel repairs/adjustments?

Supported Rover posts?

Okay, give us a hint. Animal, Plant, or Mineral?

¬ ITL
  • Okay, give us a hint. Animal, Plant, or Mineral?
    Hmmm. Think about what holiday next weekend is.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited May 2017
    Ahh, thanks for the warning. Means I might get a few extra hours in merchandising for Frito-Lay.

Introduction of the Centennial TerraTrike Roadster, complete with red, white, and blue custom paint job, along with red, white, blue seat. Gnarly tires up front with Stingray classic wide slick on the back? 24 inch wheels up front, 20 in the back.
    Probably not even close huh?

¬ ITL
  • Chonk, On a serious note. Why was the Zoomer discontinued ? Is there a low seat models in the future ?
  • edited May 2017
    Veteran Memorial Flags for our trikes?
    Have been searching for a flag that has something along the lines of US Air Force Veteran with an AF logo. Not quite found one like that, but those I have found are 3 x 5 feet ... nothing smaller to attach to the Rover poles. /sigh

Was also looking for Spoke Guards in Patriotic colors. What would be a great idea seems to only offer a few sources. Did find some Captain America ones from the UK.
    Still looking for a USA source...

¬ ITL
  • Chair Force?
  • edited May 2017
    I like Roger's Path, that is one sexy, sleek, road hugging mobile!
    We were in two parades and he was picking up scattered candies (thrown from floats) and tossing them back to the kiddies along the sidewalk. Of course the hero get the cool car with the cool options. I couldn't even touch the ground, nor as nimble as he was - and not one candy for the sidekick. :\

Roger said this was the basic model back when he bought one. /jealous

¬ ITL
  • Hence my desire for TT to have low-rider models instead of all these straight-pipe ones.
  • edited May 2017
    TCEd said:
    Chonk, On a serious note. Why was the Zoomer discontinued ? Is there a low seat models in the future ?
    Well, having a low trike just for the sake of it being low makes no sense to us. However, that being said, stay tuned - you might be pleasantly suprised later this summmer ;)

Zoomers were discontinued because they were in desperate need of updates and were not selling frankly.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Veteran Memorial Flags for our trikes?
    Have been searching for a flag that has something along the lines of US Air Force Veteran with an AF logo. Not quite found one like that, but those I have found are 3 x 5 feet ... nothing smaller to attach to the Rover poles. /sigh

Was also looking for Spoke Guards in Patriotic colors. What would be a great idea seems to only offer a few sources. Did find some Captain America ones from the UK.

So a few years ago I looked into doing the armed forces branches extension flags. The cost to license the logos (air force, marines, army etc.) and then the percentage of sales I had to pay them was redunkulous. You'd think that since we (tax payers) pay for these groups we should be able to use that logo for free - but thats not the case. In fact the licensing agreement was more than the agreement to license Big 10 logos (looked into that as well). All that for a $13 flag meant we'd make zero on it. I'd have to sell them for $40 to be able to make it doable, and frankly they arent worth that - nobody would buy them.

So that is why our flags have only the name of the branch and the colors they use - but no logo.

However, we do have an extension flag for Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, POW/MIA and now (new) Military Order of the Purple Heart.

http://shop.terratrike.com/Military-Extension-Flag-p/militaryflag.htm
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Chonk, OK, I'll wait and see but my thought was a low seat performance model vs. the entry level and mainstream models now produced. Zoomer seemed to be that model and the Sportster sorta fills the role except for the higher seat.
  • Veteran Memorial Flags for our trikes?

Several years ago I looked into licensing the logos for the different armed forces branches and the cost to do so and the ensuing percentage of sales they wanted was redunkulous. You'd think that since we (tax payers) fund these groups we should be able to use the logos - but that isnt the case. In fact it was more expensive than the licensing of Big 10 logos (looked into that as well). All that for a $13 flag meant we'd make no money on them. In fact, I'd have to sell them for $40 to even turn a slight profit and frankly they arent worth it - no one would've bought them.

So that is why we only use the name of branch and their signature colors on our extension flags. However I do have ones for Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, POW/MIA and (new) Military Order of the Purple Heart.

http://shop.terratrike.com/Military-Extension-Flag-p/militaryflag.htm
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Ahh, thanks for the warning. Means I might get a few extra hours in merchandising for Frito-Lay.

Introduction of the Centennial TerraTrike Roadster, complete with red, white, and blue custom paint job, along with red, white, blue seat. Gnarly tires up front with Stingray classic wide slick on the back? 24 inch wheels up front, 20 in the back.
    Probably not even close huh?

Yeah not even close. But I might be bribe-able into telling for a few bags of Frito's :)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited May 2017
    Cool Ranch, BBQ Honey Twists, or Regular? ;)

¬ ITL
  • LOL!! @chonk you can be cruel at times!
  • edited May 2017
    @Chonk I took 2 Veterans of Foreign Wars patches from the VFW store and had them sewn onto an old (really old) black reusable grocery bag to make a pennant for that organization. The bag is in a triangle, and the patches were the 3" version. I think it turned out damned nice for a squid doing the sewing!

If I were a member of the American Legion I might try doing the same. Seems counter-intuitive, though. Membership in the one implies that you could also be a member of the second. Legion requires service during times of conflict. VFW requires service in theater during the same periods.

Speaking of which, guys and gals... 2 weekends until Memorial Day. Get your Veterans Poppies and wear them proudly. Every poppy worn is another Veteran being thought of. And every dollar donated is another Veteran that can be helped. Many of the posts I've been in touch with, the only way they have money for the Veteran's Relief fund is through poppy donations. Ain't no one helping Veterans but other Veterans it seems. :/ Get out there and show your love of the Veterans in your life!

I'm not saying that you all have to donate. What I AM saying is remember the cost of Freedom. The blood, sweat, tears and LIVES of our Nation's youths have paid for it for over 200 years. I remember this every day. I hope the rest of you think on it at least a small portion of what I do!

Off the soap box now... :)
  • It is strange how various outfits claim to help the veterans. And I know there are a lot of vets out there far worse off than others. Thing is I've never once seen nor heard about any of these outfits actually helping out veterans in their time of need.

Past the fancy outfits, hats, meetings, what do they really do? Ever been down and out for a year and get calls asking for donations to help veterans. Then say that you're a veteran and need help, like getting a job or disability increase just so you can make it. Most the time they say I'm sorry and hang up.
    I don't get it.

I'll buy a poppy to show it off that I care. I don't go wearing hats saying, HEY, I'M A VET AND I SERVED! But I do greet the obvious service-people & those that wear the fancy hat. I thank them for their service. It's only proper.

However I'd like to get a flag stating I'm an USAF Veteran; to promote the idea of recumbent trikes as a form of recreation & rehabilitation to others. Planting a seed of hope. Which should show that I am also trying to improve myself - that here is a solution. ;)

¬ ITL
  • I had a very long winded reply to you @IdahoTrailLizard but when I was told in the forum that the post was too long, I figured I better stop... This is the short version... :)

And yeah, I was out of work for over 18 months and getting the same calls or letters for donations.... and I asked the same types of questions... "Where is the help I need?"

There are very few organizations that really strive to help Veterans. The American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Military Order of the Purple Heart and the Disabled American Veterans are the only organizations that I will even think of helping. These organizations are truly non-profit. These organization's officers are made up from the membership. You can't be a Post Commander of the VFW without having served in time of conflict in theater of conflict, for instance...

So, yeah, I was in your shoes, man... And I know how painful it can be to just get by one more day... We lose 22 Veterans a day to suicide in the United States. It strikes real damned close to home....

My post lost one of our members to this demon not too long ago... (You may remember reading my heated comments to another member here shortly after it happened.) His loss hit me really hard. I held that demon at bay, but it was a close thing. I couldn't help him and I just felt lost.... Like what was the point, you know? Out of work, no call backs, even... Nothing on the horizon but just more SS, DD.... I'm not really sure where the turning point was for me, that made me change my mind.

I do know where that turning point came from, though... It came from my Brothers and Sisters in the VFW post I belong to. It wasn't just one thing that brought the despair out and turned it into hope. It was a number of things all tied together. His loss became a rally point for us, as a post. And I think it made a difference in many of our lives.

Don't give in to despair. Don't let the demons chase you down the dark hole... There really are people just like you that care. I found it in a place I didn't know to even really look for it.... And I can truly call my post comrades Brother or Sister and MEAN it, because we all fought our way out of the same dark hole together. Just as we ate the same sand, felt the same wind, tasted the same salt. We fought the demon TOGETHER and it helped to pull us up.

If that's not a Veteran's organization helping Veterans, I'm not sure what one is. So, yeah I hand out poppies. I don't sell them. If someone wants to donate, then fine. If not, that's cool, too... Just wear the poppy and think of a Veteran. Call him or her up. Make sure they are OK.

There are other ways to help Veterans than just money, you know...
  • edited May 2017
    Was my parent's care giver. Dad was battled lung cancer, docs gave him 6 months on hospice. He lasted 7.5 years. I lived by a cow bell. Think he rang that bell every 20 minutes for those 7+ years. (That's how I gained weight, being house bound). Rarely got to get away to do much of anything. The weight came on fast. When dad's time came half my life ended.

We lost the house when dad passed. Insurance said he was too old. We tried the refinance thing due to that APR scam that hit the nation. Mortgage company kept saying they never received the forms via FedEx - receipts said otherwise.
    Went back to college through the VA, got an AA in computer networking. Did get paid some for going back. Glad the VA helped there. Needed a BA to get anywhere though, and time ran out.
    Worked for the Census Bureau for the 2010 Decennial which really helped. Then we had 2 weeks to move a 4 bedroom 2 shed home. Ended up trading my dads tools (despite my objections) for a trailer to a greedy cousin. That was an ordeal I don't wish on anyone. Am keeping it short. Lots of drama in there.

Mom had heart problems and the cycle repeated. Was her caregiver for nearly 5 years over-all when her heart to gave out at home.
    At some point asked relatives to look after mom while I went on two bicycle trips for a day. One on the WRT in 2013, then went to Brundage later in August - where I broke my shoulder. Called on relatives to help with mom as was limited to one arm. (The relative humidity rose more than you know.) There was MUCH drama.
    A cousin came from California to help her mom (back issues), since my mom & hers were sisters she took care of both for a time.. That helped! For a short time. Then I back helping her & then too her sister...
    Shortly after the blood moon mom passed on. That killed the other half of my life.
    Her life insurance helped. Lived bare minimum, had enough income to last a year. Put in apps and resumes all over the place. Also got calls to help out vets, and all I asked for was a hand up - not a hand out. Got nothing.
    Did get a job offer the very last month with the Census Bureau. Also rang bells for the Salvation Army, 5th year in a row - lasted only a month each time. Between training and bell ringing was able to save the trailer, didn't have to live out of the car.

Tried riding the Rockhopper. Pain in shoulder & the instability on road surfaces mounted up - had a few slips on surfaces. Walking causes foot disability to get worse + combined with gained weight. However I remembered bicycling helped - needed a solution.
    Was wanting a TT Rover for 6+ years. VA refused to help. Work last year was picking up. Took a chance. TT (facebook) pointed out a bike shop in La Grande.

¬ ITL
  • And I would say that pedaling helps with the foot issues. Are times when I over-do it, and I suffer for it. I am seeing a difference.
    Occasionally I use a cane at home, rarely outside as I recluse indoors when the pain is bad. At work I do what I have to, often is to bear it out.
    Do feel the foot every blasted day & night. It let's me know it's still there. Despite its objections I think the Rover is helping out! :D

¬ ITL