Best way to clean chain after removal

What's the best liquid solution I could sit my chain into after I remove it from my trike to clean it? What I'd REALLY like is a sonic sink like we had in the Navy, but those aren't exactly common items outside of the military.

Comments

• there are so many ways and products used to clean chains. We've been using a product by Finish Line but since we only ride on pavement our chains get dirty but not as bad as those used on dirt. Remember regardless of what product you use as a cleaner that product needs to be completely removed prior to applying new chain lube. Otherwise the cleaner dilutes the lube. ed
  • as authoratative as it gets: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html#deakinol suggest reading warning on deakinol rinsing solvent
  • Sheldon Brown now overwhelms you with bullshit
  • @TCEd my wife and I just booked a cabin in Sutton's Bay for July 1 - 5. Gonna ride the Leelenau Trail, hit the beach, ride the trail, hit the beach. You get the idea.
  • I was sort of hoping for a household product, not something I have to go buy.
  • Jrobiso2, You should like the trail. It has a couple grades but no serious hills and is in great condition and very scenic. There are some county road crossings where you need to be very observant of oncoming traffic, couple of sorta blind spots. The Thunderbirds will be flying 3 days in T.C. during Cherry Festival that weekend.
  • Dawn dish washing solution is a excellent degreaser
  • Two products my wife and I would never be without, Duct Tape and Dawn. Duct (Gorilla) Tape holds the world together, and Dawn cleans the world. :-)
  • Yup, I was thinking of dawn. I just received my new chain tubes from t-cycle (flared ends) so during tomorrow's rain, I'll remove the chain and put it in a 5 gallon bucket with some dawn. Let it sit, then maybe some light scrubbing; rinse and re-assemble the chain with the new tubes, and then lube with my Gold lube.

Thanks folks!
  • Well, my rear derailleur frankenmonster failed today. Apparently even at full adjustment, it won't stay under the single Sturmey-Archer cog precisely. This means the chain was going onto the cog at a slight angle. Today, the chain kept coming off the cog due to this.

I've ordered a chain tensioner designed to turn a multi-speed into a single speed. Pretty much the exact purpose I have. We'll see on Friday.

@jamesr I didn't go with the Origin8 tensioner. Too many bad reviews, and getting worse all the time.
  • Which tensioner did you go with?

¬ ITL
  • edited May 2017
    TT accidentally sent me their standard rear derailleur when I ordered the hanger. I spoke with Taylor and decided to keep it.

With the adjustment screws, you can get it to stay almost directly under the SA cog. HOWEVER, there was a slight misalignment that the screws just couldn't compensate for. I went to the hardware store and got a screw/bolt 1/8 (or 1/4) inch longer and replaced the high limit screw. That solved the misalignment, as I could screw the limit farther in than before.

It's a long cage derailleur. In large ring, bottom of the thing is about 2" off the ground. Perhaps I may replace it with a short cage one from one of my kids bikes or from Amazon, but it's working well.

I've decided to keep the cheap tensioner from Amazon as a backup. The longer high limit screw solved the issue, and Taylor told me he didn't think the other tensioner could handle the change of the rings. The benefit of using the rear derailleur is that it keeps more chain links actually on the cog. The cheap tensioner would reduce that (at full extension) by at least 25%. I think that would result in excess strain on the engaged teeth. By using the 2 wheel derailleur, you avoid that risk.

The Origin8 one would have the same 2 wheel benefits, but it's reviews have been going downhill, some with serious issues and modificatiins required.
  • Cleaned my chain in a bucket with Dawn water, flushed many times and scrubbed every link with a brush. Still got black on my hands afterwards, and the chain left a black line on the workbench when laid out on it, so obviously not cleaned to perfection. :-(

Hung the chain over a tree branch to dry, and then sprayed it down liberally with Boeshield T9 that I normally use for my tablesaw, bandsaw, and drill press surfaces. Left that on for 45 minutes and then wiped away the excess.

Re-installed the chain but with new, 44" flared tubes from t-cycle.com. (Go 48" if you haven't converted to a multi-ring front crank).