Single-Wheeler Rover-friendly Pack Trailer?

Is there such a thing as a single wheeled pack trailer that is Rover friendly?

Where would I go about finding a good used one, or if affordable where to get one made? Am considering going down the Weiser River Trail again and would like to carry a tent, sleeping bag, food, essentials, and perhaps a GoSun solar stove too. Figuring a single wheel would keep more traction-bearing on the rear wheel in loose terrain.

¬ ITL

Comments

• Is there such a thing as a single wheeled pack trailer that is Rover friendly?
    - no.

Figuring a single wheel would keep more traction-bearing on the rear wheel in loose terrain.
    - nope.
  • I have a two-wheeled trailer and traction isn't an issue with it. It all depends on how you load it up...

• Elrique64 wrote: »
    I have a two-wheeled trailer and traction isn't an issue with it. It all depends on how you load it up...

Which one do you use, if I may ask?

¬ ITL
  • I bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bike-Cargo-Trailer-Bicycle-W-Cover-Shopping-Cart-Carrier-Tow-Hauler-Garden-/112430363622?hash=item1a2d5f33e6 It's now a few years old. When I bought it, I was under the impression it had 20" wheels, when it arrived it had 16"....

I didn't want to have 2 different sizes of inner tubes...

Gotta say, I like the trailer, over-all. It tracks well, and when empty can't even tell it's there short of the added noises it makes on the bumps. When loaded, I can feel it, but no enough that it changes the way I need to ride/pedal. and I've had way more weight on it than the recommended... (Over 150lbs more than once.)
  • edited June 2017
    Is there such a thing as a single wheeled pack trailer that is Rover friendly?

Where would I go about finding a good used one, or if affordable where to get one made? Am considering going down the Weiser River Trail again and would like to carry a tent, sleeping bag, food, essentials, and perhaps a GoSun solar stove too. Figuring a single wheel would keep more traction-bearing on the rear wheel in loose terrain.

If you really want one, try this. Also most likely the same brand Rique has. I have a dog carrier trailer by them and it is a cheap trailer to get your feet wet with.
    https://www.aosom.com/sporting-goods/aosom-single-wheel-foldable-bicycle-cargo-trailer-red.html
  • That is the same brand, but a different design entirely.

My trailer has two wheels, mid-deck, on either side. Weight can be shared with the rear or distributed, just as you would on a trailer for a truck or car. Heaviest over the tires to put most of the weight on them, lighter objects fore or aft to reduce/increase the tongue weight. I suppose it could be possible to even lift the rear wheel of the trike off the ground if you aren't sitting on it. Haven't tested that, though...

I wouldn't hesitate to haul half of a small elk or a whole deer on that trailer, if I were to ever bag one of either again... I know the trike (with the motor) could take the loads over most of the areas I ride. (Or have hunted, recently...) I know I've had well over the 100lbs they recommended as a max on it more than once....
  • Wonder why none have 20 inch wheels? Guessing 16 inch would keep the weight lower, but what about the clearance? Are the tires solid or do they have innertubes in them? Wonder of anyone's put 20 inch wheels on one?

Surprised TerraTrike hasn't made a companion trailer for their trikes. Probably not cost effective. If had the bucks and the inclination, would convert a tandem into cargo carrier in the back, and add a motor in there for those hilly & flat OTR areas. Maybe even put a 4th wheel in the center for overload protection. LOL

¬ ITL
  • had stared at cargomonster some time. obviously far cheaper to get a tandem frame extension and build a platform. ever price a tandem stoker double chainring? seat strut, chainline, cabling creativity needed as well.

learned the longer the trike, the more lanes needed to do a u-turn. as a long-tail it handled ok but a bit embarrassing trying to turn it around on a 2-lane. hit the brakes when you hit the grass, do a fred flintstone to reverse the beast, complete the 3-point turn, smile and wave at the 2-lanes of traffic you were blocking. i suppose sidewalk routes would still work if you got off the trike and lifted the rear through 90 degrees but wouldnt want to do that with a load.

interestingly, if the tandem frame extender had been 12 inches longer, i would be riding the worlds first rear-steer front wheel drive rover. then i started pricing square metric tubing and decided the world was not ready for such a marvel.