Safety and liability

To Terratrike: I really like my new Rambler. However, I think you do a great disservice by not explaining the danger of “Leg-Sucking”. I think you have a great liability by not providing heel straps (at a minimum). While I’m on safety issues, what good is the reflective material on the seat if your back covers it? Also, you should add another.5 to 1” on the handlebars for mounting a thumb bell or other devices, like mirrors. Side reflectors would be wise too.

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Tires often have reflective trim, far superior to side reflectors.

There are options to purchase heel slings, comfort pedals, and SPD pedals when ordering any trike - or anytime. Pays to do some research before purchase and exploring options.
    SPD is the better system yet one MUST practice releasing in case of any emergency. Oh, you should wear a helmet, full-fingered gloves, and eye protection which don't come standard with trikes either. :)

Reflective trim is there for safety whether you are on your trike or not. Also allows others to see your trike at night or dim condition in case you're in the bushes doing a nature call, rescuing a stray critter, if your trike lands in a precarious position, or when carried off by a love struck moose.

Mirrycle mirrors can go in the ends of the handles. Some of us added TT Versa Bars and mount those mirrors in the ends of those, gives more height. And the Versa Bars have water bottle mounts, cages & bottles sold separately.
    Note: Water bottles are an asset when out cycling.

AirZound works better than a thumb bells. Use a wooden dowel stuffed inside the handle grip to mount on if needed. The end caps pop off.

My 2¢ - Enjoy the ride!

¬ ITL
  • I was going to make a pair of heel straps, but as of yet, my feet have yet to slip once. So i can wait...
  • edited June 2017
    It will happen
  • Thing with heel straps is some bumps or hops your feet will come out & probably your backside with it. SPD stops all that nonsense, and gives power on the return stroke as you pull your feet back.

¬ ITL
  • TT accessories don't list just heel straps any longer.
  • I saw the whole pedal kit. I'll make mine
    from some leather. Those Shimano pedals, is there a tab that screws into
    the biotin of your shoe that then drops in the pedal?
  • You buy special shoes where the spd cleats bolt into, then those click into the pedals. So add $50 - $100 for shoes to your cost estimates.
  • Can buy slings elsewhere. Those probably didn't sell well. Some make their own out of tie cables, paracord, shoe strings, or whatever.

SPD or SPD-SL solve most issues with foot-to-pedal syndrome. With three wheels we don't have dismount issues like two wheelers have. /VBG

¬ ITL
  • Rode today. Tried to drag my shoe down the pedal surface and neither would move. At the top of each pedal on one side is an extra long "tooth" that grabs well. Wether I have "tennis" shoes or Crocs. Pedal arm has 'Metropolis' name on the side.
  • If you think your foot will never come off the pedal you're mistaken, it will happen
  • edited June 2017
    Yup, and quite by surprise. Could even be a ground bump or dip you don't recognize as being a hazard.

¬ ITL
  • Today I went over a lot of bumps due to
    roots and I just coasted over them. Others I pedaled over. First time I sat in one in the store, I thought what a great
    idea to hold your feet up there. If I fell
    asleep or a deer strike my feet would
    come off. I need to make a frisbee chain guard first. Shoe lace caught up
    under chain. Stopped pedaling, backed
    Pedaled a touch and pulled lace out.
    That happening real fast would cause
    some breakage.
  • Use shorter laces. Tuck shoe laces under criss-crossed laces or under sock (pulled over). Duct tape if nothing else.

¬ ITL
  • SPD pedals and Giro Carbide R shoes. Velcro straps, not laces.
  • brucecody wrote: »
    To Terratrike: I really like my new Rambler. However, I think you do a great disservice by not explaining the danger of “Leg-Sucking”. I think you have a great liability by not providing heel straps (at a minimum). While I’m on safety issues, what good is the reflective material on the seat if your back covers it? Also, you should add another.5 to 1” on the handlebars for mounting a thumb bell or other devices, like mirrors. Side reflectors would be wise too.

Bruce,

Leg suck does.......well suck. We've spoke about the dangers of this for years (http://terratrike.com/howtoride.php), have sold accessories like the Power Grip pedals and clipless pedals for years and even put wording in our owners manual about this. We have instructed our dealers to ALWAYS suggest a foot retention accessory when making the sale.

Two years ago we decided to become the first recumbent trike manufacturer to include a heel support pedal on ALL new TerraTrikes. We hoped the industry would follow. So all new trikes feature this accessory as a stock item. We also sell it as an upgrade to those that bought prior to us adding them (http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt000477.htm).

But unfortunately there are some inherent risks to anything you do and riding a trike is no different. Obviously we want ALL of riders to be safe, but just like auto seat belts, we cant make everyone use them. Helmets are another accessory we all feel strongly about here at TerraTrike and yet I constantly see people riding without them.

The reflective strips do get covered up mostly when sitting in the trike. However the sides of the seat can usually still be seen. The tires as mentioned have reflective strips on them as does all of our new Storage Solution bags (http://shop.terratrike.com/category-s/1885.htm). Again, we always recommend a tail light, headlight and flag especially if riding at night.

We also have a wider handlebar option (http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/wide-handlebars.htm) as well as a handlebar mount (http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/handle-bar-mount.htm) to do exactly what I think you are asking. On top of that we have several other accessory mounts available that should allow you to mount any accessory you wish.

Our strategy has always been and continues to be, to put out a quality, value rich trike and a large assortment of accessories and options that allow YOU, the consumer to choose what he/she wants on their trike. Other trike brands include flags, mirrors, racks etc. with their trike, but all this does is add extra cost (especially if you don't want it) and lost revenue for the dealers.

Glad you love your Rambler, welcome to the family ;)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Excellently stated!
  • Hey Marketing Dude,

I've bought two TerraTrikes in the last 18 months and I've paid for the heel slings both times. I must be going to the wrong shops. The heel slings are worth every penny though. That is the story of my trike buying experience. Missed the winter accessory rebate by a couple of weeks on the Rover. Then I missed the veterans discount by a couple months on the Sportster. Next time I get the urge to buy a new trike, I'll have wait an extra month or two and see what new discounts you dream up.

• I finally got mine made yesterday. Used some leather from old Sorel winter boots that have to be 40 years young.
    Used them last night and on the short
    pre-rain peddle tonight. They work ok.
    My soles are still tight to the pedals. I don't rest/hang my feet in the leather.
  • That's how heel slings work; resting you're heels in them. They stop your heels from falling when your feet dislodge from the pedals.

¬ ITL
  • It's a bear getting my shoes in them. Last night my shoulder nearly went into
    a "Lets kill him with a spasm" mode when I reached down to pull strap higher on my shoe. When my breathing
    returned, I thought "Backscratcher" to
    reach down there next time.
  • Or a wire. Some have used bells on the straps for weight.

The way the comfort straps work is there is a spur mount on either side that has diagonally cut holes to throw a snare up and outward. Two velcro straps are super easy to change on the fly. Thing with velcro is you can't feel them around your foot.

Of the times I did hit bumps, dips, or ninja roots the left stayed in. I had to adjust the right foot differently. Only way to tell is to release the foot from the pedal slightly and see if the straps have "hammocked" your heels.

Now with SPD I don't have to guess if my feet are stabilized. They clip in and haven't popped out once - and I been through some interesting areas.

¬ ITL
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    It's a bear getting my shoes in them. Last night my shoulder nearly went into
    a "Lets kill him with a spasm" mode when I reached down to pull strap higher on my shoe. When my breathing
    returned, I thought "Backscratcher" to
    reach down there next time.

Hope you can get out of them easier

• Thirteen miles today and the first nasty
    jump on the edge of a bridge my right
    foot completely jumped out of the sling.
    Guess I didn't have my shoe pushed hard against the pedal. I've ridden that
    path before too.

• FINN58 wrote: »
    Thirteen miles today and the first nasty
    jump on the edge of a bridge my right
    foot completely jumped out of the sling.
    Guess I didn't have my shoe pushed hard against the pedal. I've ridden that
    path before too.

Eventually a foot will slip off a pedal and land flat on the ground and the trikes momentum will allow the front cross bar to strike your calf and injure or break a bone in your leg or foot. This happens and riders are hurt. You can be stubborn and continue riding with makeshift equipment or get something that is correct.

• As for the new TT heal slings/comfort pedals, Just get some Velcro stick-ons and add the appropriate part to prevent the Velcro slings properely affixed to the rear of your heals. Has anyone tried this fix?
  • I personal bought the Comfort Pedal Conversion Kit and a set of Zefal toe clips.
    Works well and allows you to wear "normal shoes". Feet come off easily in an emergency too. Learned that when I got hit by a car.
    One of the workers at the local dealer made a comment about it being clever so I guess he hadn't even considered it.
    These are the ones I got at the shop: http://www.zefal.com/en/other-accessories/224-toe-clips-45.html
  • Don't ride a Trike without your feet firmly fastened to the pedals some way, the best is SPD pedals. Leg suck is a nasty injury which could screw your leg(s) up good. It is not if it is going to happen, it is when.
  • edited July 2017
    Leg suck is a bad thing, I agree. But I wouldn't want my feet fixed to the pedals. I use the heel straps since I had a near miss with a leg suck incident last year. With the straps I have to actually think about lifting my feet off the pedals, even when I'm sitting still.

Not buying a set of shoes just to wear while riding. Nor am I buying spandex riding pants. Blue jeans have done me fine. So have the heel slings.

I'm not changing my wardrobe just to go riding.
  • When you hit a bump and your feet come out of them heel slings... a domino just fell over.

¬ ITL