Rambler EVO

I commend TerraTrike for entering the electric drive arena. I'm not sure how many manufacturers sell complete assembled etrikes but there is a need.
I read many of the homebuilt etrike posts on the web and I get confused with all the tech talk related to owning one. There are a significant number of riders that JUST don't have the interest in all the lingo and adjusting and tech knowledge needed to ride a home built. Now they can buy it and run it.
And yes Kudos to those of you that have built your own Etrike, I admire your spirit.

Comments

• I agree with TCEd- I commend TerraTrike for entering the electric trike arena. And while the rear hub motor is not the way I went with my electric assist, I think it is an excellent entry into the fray. I had seen this setup when I visited TerraTrike a few weeks back, but I was sworn to secrecy.

A rear hub motor mounted on the new under-seat rack looks sweet and clean and should be easy to use and maintain. Well done TerraTrike!
  • Thanks. We're pretty stoked about this trike as well.
    It's been a long 2 year process to bring this to market and we looked at EVERY type of motor/battery option out there. Falco was and still is the leader in emotor hub market. Plus they were willing to work with us to develop a system and custom algorithm designed especially for a recumbent trike and the unique torque, wheel size and power demands they need. This is not just a e-bike motor retrofitted to a trike - like most others are.

There are a lot of cool things that this motor does and has to offer, but the best part is it's simplicity. You just turn it on a ride as you normally would. It can sense if you need that extra assist up a hill, off the start, or during acceleration. And it does it smoothly without you barely knowing it's kicked it. It makes you feel bionic ;)

Here are some other specs that I neglected to mention that may also be of interest:
    * 5 phase motor = 40% more power delivery than a 3 phase motor.
    * Battery is low - below your C.O.G.
    * Gearless drives (hubs) are more efficient than geared systems like mid drives. Yes theyre heavier but at added power and efficiency.
    * Zero free-wheeling resistance. With the exception of the added weight, there is no noticeable drag or resistance to pedaling.
    * Brushless and gearless hub
    * Normally, as the power of the motor increases, the pedaling resistance also increases. Falco has overcome this by minimizing the force of the magnets inside the motor, to near zero, making it extremely easy to pedal.
    * We're conservatively saying 60 miles per charge. Falco says 75.
    75 miles x 80%=60 miles. Obviously a lot of factors will affect your mileage. However, the fact that we have a custom algorithm that supplies the most effective amount of assist for a TRIKE, that we have it governed to 20 mph, the 5 phase motor is far more efficient and the battery is far superior than many out there we are confident in the 60 mile claim. In fact its been ride tested to that. Again, 2 years in the making.
    * Falco is at the leading edge of developing e-motors and software to optimize battery usage and efficiency.
    * The added 20 pounds (to an already light trike) is equal to a pannier full of gear, a BOB trailer or a few extra consumed burritos.
    * If your battery runs out or low, put it in regenerative mode and charge it down the hills.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Wow, it's even better than I realized. I hope the EVO doesn't totally run out of stock before RiderFest. I am sure that lots of us will want to test ride it. Hey, how about an EVO raffle with the profits going to charity. $10 a pop for tickets.

It would be hilarious if each new ticket purchased moved you to the front of the line to test ride the EVO. It might be like leap-frog for adults. It would certainly play well for the evening news... just saying. :#
  • edited June 2017
    $25 tickets, and also for those that cannot attend. Heck yeah, I'd chip in there. :P

Would like to see that for a Rover, though would guess those of us with extra weight would probably see less mileage. Am also thinking of those with debilitating disabilities, stroke victims, and such. They would benefit with the reverse gears and helping them get rolling. Training may also be advised, and open a job opportunity for said trainers.

There are times I wished had electrical assist!!!

¬ ITL
  • I'm very curious about the range you have listed, @chonk? I've run a 750W 48V motor with a 20AH battery for over 2 years now. And I know I can get 60 miles of range with my Bafang BBS02 with that battery. Barely... My new battery is an 11.6AH and I'm getting a tad over 25 miles of range on it.

The Falco you have in this Evo is a 750W 36V with an 11AH battery (Half the size of my 20AH.) And you are saying that the regen is going to provide you with as much range as I am getting with my DD crank motor without the regen?

To get 750W from that motor you are going to need to draw just over 20 amps from it. (W=V*A so 750W=36V*20.8A+) That kind of draw is going to deplete an 11AH pack pretty quickly at that voltage, 5 phased motor and regen or not. Too many sources out there that show far different numbers for that size pack that I truly have problems with those numbers.... (Not to mention my own personal experience.)

Not going to even go into the hub motor over crank motor debate again... I had already beat that horse with @JamesR too many times to count before his and my accounts and posts were lost...

All that said, I do applaud TT coming into the etrike arena. This is certainly something that has been needed for a while. Veterans could potentially gobble these up pretty easily with the VA Get Healthy, Stay Healthy, Be Healthy program...

Salute!
  • edited June 2017
    Would enjoy giving this model a test to see if it could handle Idaho, although I would surpass its weight limitations without the motor/battery.

With a trike like this bet I could effectively ride up the Weiser River Trail from Council to Tamarack. Then on the return ride back, could go without motor assist till I hit the flats in Fruitvale. If there was enough battery left that is, as the initial ride would be mostly uphill.

And there are other trails, road surfaces, and such would test it on. Wished my Rover had an electrical assisted motor at times, and especially for the August Ride for Patients run, bet I could do the full 100 meter ride. There are hills and lengthy stretches.
    I've been offered the ride, but I doubt could even do the 20 miler (25) on the Rover. Still have to get ride of that dern thigh poking issue first.

But don't have 3K laying around... so can only dream of what it could do. :) Took me over 6 years to get the Rover. Maybe in another 6 years trikes will be running hotter, faster, with the latest in technology.

¬ ITL
  • one of the overlooked joys of long-range electric assist is a consideration: suppose at the end of a delightful 20 mile jaunt, you turn around for home only to discover the electric assist done gone?

non-electric rover should be entirely adequate for conquering your trail. replace the sturmey with a 12-34 freehub wheel. add a derailleur hanger and derailleur. put a 22-32-44 mtb crankset up front. 13 gear-inches in first, serious recumbent smile chasing squirrels up trees with gearing that low. if a decrepit old man with bone-on-bone arthritis can enjoy doing such [himself, actually], reasonable to expect you can accomplish same.

you might get pleasantly surprised by health benefits doing so. coupla years ago, switching from the one-size-fits-all off the lbs floor to nexus-8 and 152mm mtb crankset ended the knee swelling doing climbs at 10 g.i. years later, now doing a 7-speed derailleur delta barge [double the weight of the rover] up the same slopes in second or third gear without after-ride regret. i might resort to first gear with the usual 40 pounds of groceries, 10 pounds of tools aboard if i aint feeling froggy that day.

along the way tried a push trailer as well as a 500 watt wheel on the rover and thought better off doing it the hard way, one of my better thoughts.
  • Wow, it's even better than I realized. I hope the EVO doesn't totally run out of stock before RiderFest. I am sure that lots of us will want to test ride it.

We will have one (and a couple batteries) at RiderFest to test ride for sure.

However we are already oversold on the first batch by 150%. That means that they will be in the dealers showrooms and not our warehouse is all. If interested, I highly suggest you contact your local dealer NOW!
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Elrique64 wrote: »
    I'm very curious about the range you have listed, @chonk? I've run a 750W 48V motor with a 20AH battery for over 2 years now. And I know I can get 60 miles of range with my Bafang BBS02 with that battery. Barely... My new battery is an 11.6AH and I'm getting a tad over 25 miles of range on it.

I'm not electrical engineer so I can't talk specifics. But from what I was explained is that the Falco motor is more efficient and powerful and the battery is more efficient as well as the battery management software. This combined with the algorithm we specifically designed for recumbent trikes (not for uprights and just adapted to trikes like others) plus governing the motor to 20 mph is what allows us to make those claims. We've been riding it for a while and have gotten those distances, so I am confident in that claim.

Now, again, YMMV. Terrain, weight, the amount of assist etc. will all effect this. Kind of like MPG claims by the auto industry - except we are being a little more conservative.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    Also, never say never. The way the industry is moving to e-assist in the bike world, I could see this being applied to our other models as well - just isnt in the works at the moment. We've been focusing on just getting this one right and to market for like I said 2 years.

Also, on the trainer thought, Falco released a new app at Interbike which will shortly be rolled out that is a connection to a heart rate monitor that will adjust the amount of assist to keep your heart rate a a specific level - much the way the treadmills at gyms do.

I've also been pushing for them to add a USB drive so you can power your phone, lights, etc. and a solar cell to charge the battery back up while you ride. All are (I think) in development.

Lastly, $2999 may seem like a lot (it is), but it is the least expensive option out for a purpose built trike with the motor and battery size it has on the market.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• quite a bit of progress in steeper motors as applied to trikes. real sinewave is more efficient than the usual 3-phase and 5-phase is more efficient than 3-phase. couple a 5-phase with a torque sensor and you have a very nice combo. future coupling with a heart rate monitor is going to make this gem the ultimate conditioning trike. claimed range reality any mfg accept at 50% posted and be happy if exceeds - flatland being one thing, mountains another, ymmv.

considering the gold standard bionx add-on costs more than an unadorned rambler, consider the electrified rambler to be gold-plated. not to mention, bionx wasnt overly interested in rational battery mounts which terratrike has nailed.

rover opened a new era in recumbents, evo, my humble, will have as dramatic an effect on the industry as rover introduction.
  • Here's the problem I see. There are a bunch of potential Etrike/bike riders out there that don't know a thing related to the electronics/electrical components in these systems and don't care to learn about them. They just want to RIDE. Hopefully this system will allow them to ride.
    Think about it for a moment. Many of you are complaining about the need for simple maintenance manuals to grease your king pins. Can you imagine the manual you'll want to maintain a Etrike system if it isn't simple plug and play ? Read JamesR first paragraph above and do you think many people understand a word of it ?

Get serious and think ride, plug in charger, ride again. Sorta like a TESLA or Volt.
  • Will this be made available as a conversion kit for Rambler owners?
  • Short answer: Not any time soon.

¬ ITL
  • Keith wrote: »
    Will this be made available as a conversion kit for Rambler owners?
    Short answer: Not any time soon.

We're working on it.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• And Rovers too?
  • And I know of multiple people on here that would like one as an add-on, on a Traveler, with algorithm, naturally... :#