Keeping your ride secure when shopping

Keep reading about how others ride to stores to do shopping and wonder. How do they secure their trikes when doing that shopping? Would be cool if we could ride our trikes indoors like those mobility scooter types do, but try getting away with that.

Would ride to the local stores if people would keep their paws off other's stuff. Walmart & Waremart are bad news for cyclists over on the Oregon side, especially with all the transients in the area.

Lot of cyclists get their cables cut, tires flattened or ripped off, wheels stolen, seats stolen, and if there's anything that can me removed often will be when you get back. Wished it wasn't that way. Some have even lost their bikes if they didn't look trashed. ~ Idaho side not nearly as bad as Ontario, OR is - but we have our issues too.

Get up north up by Weiser, Cambridge, Council things are A LOT different. Not saying they don't have their issues, but they are more of a cyclist' culture due to the Weiser River Trail & the trekkers that come in via bicycles.

There really aren't any locks designed for trikes and bike racks. Cables are worthless to stop a thief. Kryptonite has locks that can be daisy chained, however the weight alone would require a trailer for some as that's about 60+# of weight. They would also get very expensive.

If stores would offer a pick-up delivery service at the door, that could work. Would want a trailer anyhow to carry an ice chest in so stuff wouldn't melt.

So I envy those who say they take their trikes to go shopping. Here, about the only safe place is take-out or drive-in restaurants.
Burger King has no racks nor will they serve going drive-through on bike/trike. A&W will serve you out on the patio or as a drive-up. Confirmed and been there many times. :) Jimbo's will allow you to call for a pick it up. No racks, lots of glass windows.

¬ ITL

Comments

• Sorry but trikes are not mobility scooters and they're to big physically to be indoors in a store. A cable will stop a lot of thieves if to cable the trike to a post or some fixed object. If it's left in one place for extended time at night it is vulnerable, anything is in those conditions.
  • I've ridden mine through drive thru restaurants but not into stores. I have not parked my trike outside any stores because I fear it will be stolen, also. I can't afford to buy a new one.
  • Aye, same. Kept hoping for Recumbent Trike Insurance in case they did get stolen would get some recourse. Local area doesn't even have bicycle registration.

¬ ITL
  • i leave the pannier on the trike as a tattletale. loop cable around rack, frame and pannier handle. somebody wants to steal the tool pouch in the pannier, fine with me - just cut the strap and go. cheaper, at a thief site, than a missing trike. added advantage of a rover is rarity - kinda hard to sell on craigslist without being spotted. much easier as well if it comes up missing to give police a description of 2 wheels front, one wheel rear.

main thing is to prevent opportunity pedal-aways or easily lifting into the back of a pickup. my preference was to tie up the rover at the grocery store rather than the rambler. if i had a $6,000 folding and fully suspended scorpion, definitely wouldnt leave it out for public admiration no matter how many locks on it.

reasonable security:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kryptonite-Universal-Security-Cable/17300982#about-item
  • I have a Krypto I bought for other uprights when we stayed on Mackinac
    Island. Haven't carried it on Trike, heavy enough already. I worry when I go use a portalet. I look about for joggers and people in pickups.
  • Another reason to use some form of pedals that require specific shoes. Joe the neighborhood thief sees the pedals and leaves .
  • Anyone tried the disc brake locks as an added dis-incentive to ride away with the trike? I was thinking of using storage locker locks (they have a very short locking bar, not something most bolt cutters can access to 'lock' the disk brake rotor. Using SPD clips are also something that can stop someone unfamiliar with the trike... if they tried, hope the leg-suck happens!
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • I seldom give theft a second thought. I have the TerraTrike lock Chonk references above. This helps, but the real reason I don't worry is for a measly $18 a year- a buck and a half per month, I added my Rover to my homeowners insurance policy for 100% NEW replacement cost with ZERO deductible! I schedule my trike the same way I schedule my camera gear. I highly recommend you talk with your homeowner's or renter's insurance agent and see how affordable it can be.
  • Thank you for posting that. I will order one soon. I saw something like that when I first bought my trike but couldn't find one ever since.
  • Heard the alarm, per Amazon reviews, was rather short ranged.

A GPS stuffed inside the boom would probably be better if you can afford one of the better versions.

Was reading up on disc brakes with alarms built into them. The more one reads on these the more frustrated one becomes. Even the Kryptonite disc brakes have issues and smaller pins. 10mm is the smallest a person wants to use, not 6mm.

¬ ITL
  • Seems Kaiser Hospital, on Morse Ave/Sacramento, had the best option. Bicycle shelter/sheds. Bring your own lock, slide them in, lock, go to work. Unsure how that would be with recumbent trikes.

These day you won't find bike sheds on hardly any parking lot, whether patrolled or not. Not seen any at other medical facilities. So U locks and chains might be a better deterrent. Best your own rottweiler attached to the trike, or perhaps a tesla coil for etrikes.

Saw this video from the UK but nothing in there showed a disc brake lock.

¬ ITL
  • Here's a good review. A Sheldon Brown technique that can be applied to use trikers. And who would of thought of putting a business care or return address label inside a tire??

¬ ITL
  • Am liking this Skunk Lock. :D LOL

¬ ITL
  • r4xjha19d2nf.jpg
    I seldom give theft a second thought. I have the TerraTrike lock Chonk references above. This helps, but the real reason I don't worry is for a measly $18 a year- a buck and a half per month, I added my Rover to my homeowners insurance policy for 100% NEW replacement cost with ZERO deductible! I schedule my trike the same way I schedule my camera gear. I highly recommend you talk with your homeowner's or renter's insurance agent and see how affordable it can be.

Same here, here's how I park and forget. If I had to sit at the window in a coffee shop or restaurant watching for a thief to come by and take my trike I'd rather give up the activity. A rider on your homeowners insurance is far easier, that's what we do for a number of things that are not stationary at the house. The diamond in my wife's wedding ring came lose and was lost while we were in Mexico back in April. State Farm cut us a check in two weeks for original appraised value, no deductible. I have a bunch of boat parts insured on a rider and stored at the marina by our boat well. Last thing I'm doing is confronting a thief.
  • I checked on my renter's insurance... not a problem! Sure does take the concern when parking the trike for shopping or work!
  • What's your deductible? You'll be paying that portion.

A while back, we talked about a national registry for bikes. Do a search on here and see if you can find it. I'm using a substitute laptop so I won't have the link right now.
  • What's your deductible? You'll be paying that portion.

A while back, we talked about a national registry for bikes. Do a search on here and see if you can find it. I'm using a substitute laptop so I won't have the link right now.

https://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/
  • I've been told that Kryptonite will be coming out with a trike specific lock next month
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited July 2017
    chonk wrote: »
    I've been told that Kryptonite will be coming out with a trike specific lock next month

Awesome, cause I been after them for a year. Posted a comment yesterday, as they have nothing listed for recumbent trikes - and I added a few RT companies to maybe add some clout to the equation. ;)

¬ ITL
  • I've been told they will be debuting it at the OR show at the end of the month.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Gee @chonk, maybe a phone call or two from you would have them debuting it at the end of the month in MI as well?!
  • So far this lock appears to have the best 10/10 Kryptonite theft protection & warranty with a 4.9 foot chain lock.

New York Legend Chain 1515 @ $180
    https://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us-2/en/products/product-information/current-key/999577.html?type=bicycle#

¬ ITL
  • bad humor. doubt it will resist this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-36-in-Bolt-Cutter-3421/205585556

even less so this:
    https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XAG04Z

either/or - if i were to park a pickup next to your trike and had either of the above i would have my very own trike in 30 seconds or so.
  • edited August 2017
    I own a powerboat that is insured for 65K and I have a nine dollar padlock on it for the past 18 years. Get insured,
  • I have a big bolt cutter like the first one,
    from Harbor Freight. Goes through a chain link fence nicely. Never tried a chain though. (Would have escaped
    Jackson the first attempt if I had it. Guards were on coffee n donut break ...) ;)
  • Unfortunately cannot get homeowner's on a 1976 single-wide trailer. Geico unfortunately does not have a policy I can put on the trike.

Still doesn't keep the trike from getting stolen. Though popularity probably does to some extent - since there are only 2 in the area. And the community knows who we are. :D

¬ ITL
  • Wrote to Kryptonite 3 days ago, included photos, asking for suggested locks. No reply yet.

¬ ITL
  • Plus, Florida makes you put a high deductible on your homeowner's insurance due to hurricanes. Mine is a $4000.

Buy that sound motion alarm that TT is selling. That will let the whole world know the bike is being stolen.