Terra Trike Path

Purchased a used Terra Trike Path.Where can I find information on it and may be pictures? I want like to know what year it was manufactured and how the seat is supposed to be mounted and how to adjust the distance between the seat and pedals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Thank you Chonk. Much appreciated.
  • pkga5tso3f52.jpg
    vidwysc020bs.jpg
    Does anyone on this group have a Path? I would like to get a picture of your seat mount and the frame.

I bought a used Terra Trike Path. The seat mount to the frame only has one bolt all the way thru the frame although it looks like there should be two. There are four holes in the frame (the bolt goes into one hole and out a second hole) but it looks like the forward set of holes would not allow a bolt to pass all the way thru. The seat frame has four sets of holes that the seat could use to mount to the frame. I have added a couple of pictures of my Trike. In the one picture you can see the bolt going thru the back set of holes and that it looks like the front set does not go thru. (It may be that a dirt dabber or something has clogged the hole. I didn't want to go digging until I asked for advice here.

How many bolts should be used when mounting the seat?

Also, it does not look like the boom is adjustable; other than seat mounting is there a way to make the trike fit someone 5'5" tall?

Thank you in advance.
  • I think I just read in another thread that I should not have posted the pictures like this. If that is correct I apologize. How do I take them down and leave up the question?
  • edited July 2017
    Nothing wrong with posting photos. We like photos. :)

Have a friend with a Path but he's not on this forum. Look up Lilypad in the Fruitland, ID area of Trike Groups to make contact. ~ http://www.trikegroups.com/register.php
    That's about the safest way to go unless you have facebook.

¬ ITL
  • One bolt.
    Use the rear hole on the frame first and any of the seat frame holes to see if you can get it to fit your xseam size. Use the front hole if you need a shorter xseam. Make sure that bold is TIGHT - and check it after you've ridder 100 miles or so. A loose bolt will make the seat wobbily and the trike feel "loose".
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Thanks for the assistance.
  • edited July 2017
    A friend's Path does 28 MPH easily on the flats, and he can hold 35+ MPH on the downhills. He does great going back across the the Snake River bridge at a fairly decent 10 ~ 14 MPH clip, that's about 4% going up to 8% at other end.
    Me, am lucky to get to 6 (more like 2) though I don't ride it every day like Roger does.

For real hills though, Roger has to take breaks. Am thinking he's gearing up for the August Pedal for Patients run; shortest is 25 miles with a couple of big hills. He keeps asking if I'll go. I'd be in last place for sure on the Rover i8. And all that for $40 entry fee ... maybe if I had electrical assist. (!)
    I know Roger and I are promoting recumbent trikes in the area, but if I keep coming up in last place that's not looking too good. Though it is supposed to be for fun ... baking in the heat, last place, $40 ... retirement must be good if one can ride every day. Rest of us still have to work.

Only bad thing I heard about the Path is trying to get out of it when his knees get sore. Last time he drove his truck to Denny's. :\

Heard the Sportster was an upgraded Path. Path blows the Rover out of the water.

Although Roger set his up with a Schlumpf in the front and a NuVinci 380 in the rear. His marathons are about to go bald. LOL

x28mpzlp684y.jpg

¬ ITL
  • A friend's Path does 28 MPH easily on the flats, and he can hold 35+ MPH on the downhills. He does great going back across the the Snake River bridge at a fairly decent 10 ~ 14 MPH clip, that's about 4% going up to 8% at other end.
    Me, am lucky to get to 6 (more like 2) though I don't ride it every day like Roger does.

For real hills though, Roger has to take breaks. Am thinking he's gearing up for the August Pedal for Patients run; shortest is 25 miles with a couple of big hills. He keeps asking if I'll go. I'd be in last place for sure on the Rover i8. And all that for $40 entry fee ... maybe if I had electrical assist. (!)
    I know Roger and I are promoting recumbent trikes in the area, but if I keep coming up in last place that's not looking too good. Though it is supposed to be for fun ... baking in the heat, last place, $40 ... retirement must be good if one can ride every day. Rest of us still have to work.

Only bad thing I heard about the Path is trying to get out of it when his knees get sore. Last time he drove his truck to Denny's. :\

Heard the Sportster was an upgraded Path. Path blows the Rover out of the water.

Although Roger set his up with a Schlumpf in the front and a NuVinci 380 in the rear. His marathons are about to go bald. LOL

x28mpzlp684y.jpg

28mph easily ? That is a typo I'm guessing. Think the evolution was Path, Zoomer, Sportster.
  • Not a typo.

¬ ITL
  • Not a typo.

Those speeds are up in the range of some very high end trikes with riders that also are very fit. My Zoomer SL weighs 30Lbs it has a 27 speed drive with a 26 rear wheel, Durano tires at 90 psi and no additional accessories, flags, bags, lights to add weight or impede aerodynamics. I'm in above average condition weigh 175 lbs and cannot approach and maintain those speeds.

You're riding with a extremely fit individual.
  • Or he's hidden an electric motor inside the frame somewhere, like those cheaters in the DF competitions got caught doing!
  • TCEd wrote: »
    Not a typo.

Those speeds are up in the range of some very high end trikes with riders that also are very fit. My Zoomer SL weighs 30Lbs it has a 27 speed drive with a 26 rear wheel, Durano tires at 90 psi and no additional accessories, flags, bags, lights to add weight or impede aerodynamics. I'm in above average condition weigh 175 lbs and cannot approach and maintain those speeds.

You're riding with a extremely fit individual.

I'm afraid that my friend exaggerates somewhat. On good days I can average 6-7 up the Ontario bridge and 25 going down. In general I can average about 8 MPH on my rides. I do have a 50 + year old friend who rides 2 wheelers and can average 20-22 on a hundred miler.

On the Path seat issue, I agree there is only one bolt used and you can use either the front or rear hole in the frame. They make three sizes of boom. I use the extra long with a one inch extension. I happen to have a short boom that came with the trike that I will never use.
    Mcalla7293, If you can figure out how to get an email to me I can arrange to send it to you, if that would help. I also have the original 8 speed real wheel and hub with low miles. It wasn't geared low enough for me and I didn't like the way it shifted, so I went with a Slumpfh HSD and a Nuvinci N360. It died last year so I upgraded to a Nuvinci N380. I really like the combination. Even with ITL's great opinion of my prowess, after 73 orbits of the sun I am considering upgrading to a full suspension trike with an electric assist. Good luck on getting your Path set up to fit you. It's a low end trike but with upgrades it does OK.
  • edited July 2017
    @Lilypad is modest, and humble. :D He's fun, if you can keep up with him. LOL

¬ ITL
  • edited July 2017
    Why don't we all agree to post real numbers so others have a realistic idea of various models and equipment.
    12 mph is not 22 mph.
    10 miles is not 22 miles.
    2% grade is not 8%.
    Etc, etc.
  • @TCEd: If you don't agree, so be it. Don't care one way or the other. Opinions and assumptions, everyone has one - though some really go out of there way to make some obscure point all the time. Seems like an personal issue there. Cest la vie.

Want to take the bridge yourself? Come on over. It's a public road.

¬ ITL
  • If Lilypad who posted above is your friend with a Path he's saying you exaggerated significantly. Now if he's riding as you describe he shouldn't accuse you of exaggerating.

My point is to be factual in statements regarding equipment and the performance they can provide. That way other riders can get an idea how well that piece of equipment performs.

And I'll call out a claim I feel is incorrect only to maintain a level of actual data here vs fabrications.

Don't need to ride you bridge but my wife and I will be in Yellowstone and surrounding areas in mid to late September. Thought to run up afterwards, rent some bikes and do the TRAIL OF THE COEUR D’ALENES.
  • edited July 2017
    @TCEd - you are throwing things out of proportion again. He stated, read it again, perhaps slower "exaggerates somewhat" ~ Somewhat and significantly are two very different things. You're flaming the thread. Move on, dude.

Did you forget: May 1 @chonk : Some of the comments on this thread have gotten a little heated and nasty. I don't approve nor like.

~ Let's NOT repeat this yet again.

¬ ITL
  • Getting a cortisone shot in the left knee on Wednesday. It's been a few years since the last one. Think I'll stop doing short bursts for awhile. I DID hit 20.2 on a flat with no helping wind. As soon as I saw I had passed that number I coasted. Didn't try it today. 8-10 mph. Save the knees, keep the blood sugar
    from crashing. Keep the rides fun.
  • cant see that TCEd comments remotely resemble flaming - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flame war

wrra world hour record was 22.104 mph on a very specialized trike 8-6-2016 so TCEd asking if a claim of 28 mph was not a typo error was politely done.

reasonable, methinks, that Lillypad posting his average speed could leave one thinking a claim of greater than 3x reality was a significant exaggeration.
  • edited July 2017
    Least, I hope, got one Path user got to connect with another. :)

¬ ITL
  • FINN58, hope the shot helps. It did wonders for me. I was able to put off knee replacement surgery for almost 10 years and now the new knees last 20 years. I was pain free for almost 6 months after the shot.
  • Are the cortisone shots painful? Done in the office or in a hospital?
  • You win, facts lose. Bye.
  • It's a very long needle and the shot is painful but the resulting relief is worth it. Mine was done in the doctor's office.

I also had Synvasc injections to replace the cartilage and provide a cushion. It didn't work at all.
  • Wait... I want to place my vote for facts... Real facts, not "alternative facts" - there is a difference between what some brag to friends, and the physical limitations of both rider and trike. I suggest everyone check out the Sheldon Brown website and critically read the section on gear inches and associated speeds- eye opening!

I am no speed demon to be sure, but I do try to ride as fast as I can on flats and downhills. I have a heavy rover, loaded with extra accessories, and I know there are many faster riders out there, but the fastest speed I have obtained with human power alone, was on a long, straight, flat straightaway following a tall bridge. Riding as fast as I could downhill pedaling in 8th gear on a stock Rover Nexus i8, and my MapMyRide app registered a top speed of 28 mph. It seemed like I was flying.

I offer this from http://"]http://www.bicycling.com/racing/tour-de-france/you-versus-a-tour-de-france-pro-cyclist:
    "Average Speed on Flat Terrain (mph)
    Even on flat terrain, a pro's average speed needs to be tops in order to stay in the race. A Tour racer's speed is usually about double that of an average rider.

RELATED: Transform Your Own Strength Into Speed

Average Rider: 17 to 18 Tour Pro: 25 to 28"

And this info is for df riders in the Tour De France! I am confident @IdahoTrailLizard, that you merely, reported what your friend told you, but my guess was he was pulling your leg, exaggerating, or needs to get his measurement instrument fixed. No flame, just rider helping rider. Trike on friends...
  • With the new bushings installed the steering was scary at 20 mph. Now a long downhill glide might be fun!
  • Wait... I want to place my vote for facts... Real facts, not "alternative facts" - there is a difference between what some brag to friends, and the physical limitations of both rider and trike.

I am confident @IdahoTrailLizard, that you merely, reported what your friend told you, but my guess was he was pulling your leg, exaggerating, or needs to get his measurement instrument fixed. No flame, just rider helping rider. Trike on friends...

It's what happens when you get around those older farts. Some riders are humble as well. Everyone, well normal people, exaggerate to some degree.

The main objective was to get Lilypad to come out to help the other Path owner. Am hoping the two Path owners connect.
    Lilypad has a nice ride for what he's got, far more maneuverable & road hugging in comparison to a Rover. Trying to keep up pace with him however is not so easy a task.
    There are no other triker riders in the area. Sticker shock curtails most interest.

The Snake River bridge is a short, misleading stretch. Most uprights are walking their bikes before even crossing half way going up. Once getting over the top it's not so bad.
    Lilypad on the other hand cruises right on up and over, though he rides it 5 days a week. Schlumpf+N380 is impressive from the trailing end of things. Ciao.

¬ ITL
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    With the new bushings installed the steering was scary at 20 mph. Now a long downhill glide might be fun!

Suggest lightly holding your hand over the handles. It seems wrong at first, although it is more effective. If it's too loose you might want to tighten things down a tad, and recheck after getting them exercised in. My 2¢

¬ ITL
  • The new terrain I ride now has many challenges. There are two places where I try to get the speed up before making a turn due to hills after the turn. I still won't go much faster than 10 mph. I just know that toppling the trike will be very painful. I want to avoid it at all possible.

Also, most of the roads I ride on have no shoulder. There is grass and often a ditch. The speed limits are only 25 mph. I'll continue to do whatever speeds I can and cars will have to wait to pass me.