Comfort

I am seriously considering selling my golf cart and buying a trike but am concerned about smoothness of ride and the reclining position. I have several bad vertebrae in my neck and too stiff of a ride as well as leaning back very far might aggravate my neck issue. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? I really would like to get the exercise and I live in a warm climate that offers year round enjoyment

Comments

• I have had neck problems for about 20 years due to much upright bike riding and a car accident. I have been riding a Rover since 2010 and no more neck issues at all. Most Terratrikes have adjustable setting where you can adjust the seat back to your liking for neck comfort.
  • I had a cervical laminectomy of my C3,4,5,6,7 and two fusions. I rider a recumbent trike with no pain/discomfort. You'll have to ride a number of different makes and models to find your comfort level. There are makes with suspension and larger low inflation tires. Most have adjustable seat back angles. You can also have a head/neck rest.
    Ed
  • I use a Roho wheelchair air cushion
    under me in addition to the pads TT
    offers for their seats. Did 20 miles yesterday. 7-8 mph so I was slower than shorter trips. Felt good at the end.
  • The Rover is definitely a trike model you should try. It is an excellent, if not best, first trike. It is comparatively inexpensive, built like a tank, time tested, and constantly being improved. The seat on the Rover is quite adjustable. It does flex a bit when mashing on the pedals, but with practice, you learn to keep the flexing to a minimum. This flexing could be advantageous to your issues by making the ride less stiff.

Currently, TerraTrike does not offer a trike with true suspension. Suspension, like most things, has both positive and negative elements. In theory, all other things being equal, the less suspension you have, the more your energy efforts are transfered to the wheels.

When I first bought my used Rover, I was concerned and disappointed that it had no suspension. But I find myself riding primarily on Lansing Michigan's 20+ mile River Trail which is paved and relatively smooth and flat over most of its course. And I have also learned that it is possible to get "virtual" suspension on a Rover by switching to Schwalbe Big Apple tires inflated to 40-60% of max pressure, and add seat padding. Surprisingly, it works! And if you miss the electrification of the golf cart, you can always add an electric assist motor to your trike.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • Good comments all.

As an added emphasis to TCEd's comment, a key component in a first trike purchase is to find the opportunity to test ride as many different models as possible. My wife and I are blessed to live only one hour from a shop that is not only very experienced in all things trike, but, also had several models with which to test ride. From those test rides we made our selection, and have not looked back to the "dark side" once, that of df riding. :-)
  • edited July 2017
    TCEd wrote: »
    I had a cervical laminectomy of my C3,4,5,6,7 and two fusions. I rider a recumbent trike with no pain/discomfort. You'll have to ride a number of different makes and models to find your comfort level. There are makes with suspension and larger low inflation tires. Most have adjustable seat back angles. You can also have a head/neck rest.
    Ed

You can find trikes that range from an upright sitting to almost fully reclined. The more upright you get the trike will probably have a seat that's higher off the ground and easier to get seated and up and standing. Lots of options out there and as someone else stated consider an Etrike also if you need some pedal assist.
  • Wow! Thank you all for the information. I'm pretty sure I'm going ahead with this as I need to get out and get some exercise. I've put on weight and gotten out of shape since the auto accident resulting in the neck injury. I live in Florida (retired) but I'm from Michigan and am partial to TT as they are in Grand Rapids MI. and also seem to build a quality product. Now I need to find a few different models to test ride before purchasing one. You have been a great help and inspiration too. Thanks again.
    Mike
  • Thank you for the tips on different accessories. I wish I had discovered TT while I was up in Mich. a few month ago I'd have stopped by the facility..I have a friend who is interested as well and lives a short distance from Grand Rapids
  • TT needs to do some TV commercials on local Michigan stations. Gotta get the word out!
  • Don't watch TV often but not seen any recumbent trike commercials ever. Did see a few Spyder ones though. Would like to give one of those a spin. :D

¬ ITL