Need help

3 week old EVO all of a sudden starts to give you a boost and takes off. 14 mph for over a block and won’t stop regardless whether you pedal or not. Need some advise here please. Don’t want to have to go back to the dealer as that’s an hour each way.

Comments

• more pertinent question - if you apply either brake, does this kill the motor?

prevent an accident - dealer time!
  • That's scary. How did you get control?
  • Guessing these don't have some sort of clutch? Would say either wait till Monday and call TT, or better yet take to the dealer.

Was there anything in the instruction manuals that you might of missed. Is it the stock unprogrammable model, or perhaps it's a smartphone app setting that you can reset?
  • Does the EVO have brake cut outs for the motor? So when you hit the brake lever, the motor cuts out?

If not, this is another concern about the design.

Since this is a somewhat closed system I think you should take it to the dealer. Messing around with something that you may not know how it all works could lead to further issues down the road.
  • There is no interlock that shuts the drive off when brakes are applied. That said for three weeks it seemed to know when to stop. There is supposed to be a way to access the system to adjust the degree of assist but there are no manuals and the software isn’t very user friendly. I’m reluctant to go back to the dealer for help as three weeks ago they didn’t seem to know any more than I did. I’ll wait till Monday and then make some calls
  • But, if the engine does not cut out when you apply the brakes, you will be replacing the brake pads all the time. That's not a good thing. I agree that you need to take it to the dealer asap.
  • Think I would be talking directly to TT Tech. URGENTLY!
  • I'd skip the dealer and get with T.T. technical staff.
  • I’m sure my brake pads have taken a beating in the last 2 days. I am going to contact TT ASAP. Unfortunately I’m leaving town in a few days to visit relatives (not the ones in Michigan) I hope it’s an easy fix
  • Did you see that there is an app for the EVO? This might also help diagnose issue.
  • He has it - said it's not very intuitive
  • Been wondering what TT tech has told you to fix it? Hope you got it fixed Killjoy?
  • edited October 27
    Just was wondering what TT said to you about our problem and if you got it resolved? (I Hope?)
  • I just returned to Florida after a quick visit to see my new grandson in Connecticut. Upon returning I contacted the dealer (Real Bikes of Venice) and they advised me to bring my EVO in for service. They had been advised of the situation by TT. After making a number of changes and testing my EVO we decided the problem hadn’t been resolved 100%. TT factory rep is due in on Nov 7 and will hopefully have a satisfactory solution to the problem. The Dealer was outstanding in their efforts and gave me a loaner to keep me active until my own trikeis returned.
  • Fantastic service!
  • Fantastic service!

Fantastic service from the Dealer yes, now let’s see how quickly TT resolves this issue. I’m sure they have the fix.
  • Knowing TT, they'll resolve it quickly or replace the entire trike and take yours back for deeper testing.
  • Yes. It seems that a few of the EVOs were missing some washers on the axles that would cause the motor torque sensor to engage thinking you were pedaling. Easy fix. Return to the dealer for the free and quick update.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • chonk wrote: »
    Yes. It seems that a few of the EVOs were missing some washers on the axles that would cause the motor torque sensor to engage thinking you were pedaling. Easy fix. Return to the dealer for the free and quick update.

I will reserve my judgment Jeff. I have returned my EVO to the dealer last week. They attempted to fix the trike. They were able to “improve” the situation but it still wasn’t right. I was told that your factory representative was due to arrive at the dealer today. I am planning to call the dealer shortly if they don’t call me first. I hope they are able to get me back on my Trike today.
  • Reminds me of the ram-fire issue with Winchester Model 100's back in the 70's. Firing pin would break and stay forward, so every time it fired a round the bolt would come back, load the next round, and fire . . . thankfully the mags only held 4 rounds. If you got this issue, you essentially had a non-stop full auto deer rifle!
  • Software and hardware can have a difficult time coexisting.
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the ram-fire issue with Winchester Model 100's back in the 70's. Firing pin would break and stay forward, so every time it fired a round the bolt would come back, load the next round, and fire . . . thankfully the mags only held 4 rounds. If you got this issue, you essentially had a non-stop full auto deer rifle!

Yes indeed two very deadly situations
  • killjoy wrote: »
    chonk wrote: »
    Yes. It seems that a few of the EVOs were missing some washers on the axles that would cause the motor torque sensor to engage thinking you were pedaling. Easy fix. Return to the dealer for the free and quick update.

I will reserve my judgment Jeff. I have returned my EVO to the dealer last week. They attempted to fix the trike. They were able to “improve” the situation but it still wasn’t right. I was told that your factory representative was due to arrive at the dealer today. I am planning to call the dealer shortly if they don’t call me first. I hope they are able to get me back on my Trike today.

Well the owner of Real Bikes of Venice called as promised and advised me that the factory representative had arrived and was with working on my EVO along with her technicians and would call me back when they had a verdict. One hour later I received another call telling me that my EVO had survived the operation and had passed all their tests with flying colors. Shortly after hearing the good news I spoke with the TT representative on the phone and he suggested I pick up my Trike the next morning.
    The next morning I picked my EVO after a final inspection and left Venice for my home in Sun City Center approximately an hour north. Once home I needed to charge the battery as it was getting low and as that was going on I installed my new TT headrest. The dealer had offered to install but I want to install it. Installation was quick and simple and a few hours later I was out on the road again on my “better than new” EVO.
    VERY PLEASED! I was very impressed with the performance with the upgrades made by TT and their Dealer. Terra Trike has proved that they are a first class manufacturer and that they provide first class support. Thank you Terra Trike!
  • Best product support I've ever seen. Glad to see they are still working hard to keep that reputation.
  • edited November 12
    Glad to hear that TT took charge of the situation, and that you're out enjoying the EVO(lution) again! :D Please keep us updated.
  • Glad to hear you got your EVO fixed!! But I was wondering what exactly went wrong? Or was it that parts were forgotten when it was assembled? I remember reading that earlier. The "engineer" in me wants to know what was wrong and what was the fix, please? Best wishes!
  • So now that EVO Rambler is working properly, how is it performing in hilly country? I mean good steep longer grades. Appreciate a candid review.
  • Glad to hear you got your EVO fixed!! But I was wondering what exactly went wrong? Or was it that parts were forgotten when it was assembled? I remember reading that earlier. The "engineer" in me wants to know what was wrong and what was the fix, please? Best wishes!

Yes, the washers were accidentally omitted from a few of the E.V.O.s at the factory by mistake. We are now checking ALL of the E.V.O.s that have been shipped to be sure they all have the required update and putting a QC check in place to assure this doesn't happen again.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Glad they were able to help you out. Real Bikes is a great dealer for us.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker