What Time of Day Do You Ride?

I normally ride after breakfast but before lunch. I'm usually worn out the rest of the day but I got my exercise in. We've recently had two cold spells and I tried to go out after lunch. I had planned to do it today but don't have the energy. I had a very busy day yesterday then didn't sleep well last night.

What do all of you do? Is there a better time for you? I may have to bundle up more and get out in the mornings. I have to get exercise!

Comments

• Like to begin before 10am outdoors. Indoors whenever.
  • I am not a morning person. I don’t have a pulse before 11. She has to use the paddles to get my heart going every morning. Thus, in the summer, I ride late because of the sun. This time of year we ride toward earlier as earlier sunset forces us to do so. No lights yet. 33 for a high temp Friday. Might be brisk. Come on north Floridians.
  • We tried to ride at 7:00 AM all summer to avoid the heat. After school began we moved to 8:30 after traffic settled ... 90 degrees thru September. Rover Tandem tied up with conversions a couple of weeks so we missed some great weather. Hoping for some 3:00 5:00 PM afternoon rides. Haven't begun to figure out apparel for 55 degree days.
  • Every day at 1:15 pm to avoid an afternoon nap.
  • rgfitz4280, that's funny. After riding, a nap is required for me.

I think I'm just catching something which is zapping my energy. Time to take those vitamins. Already had my flu shot.
  • Heat really affects me (OK Florida_bound, NO jokes about AZ :# )... Whether in AR or AZ I've always ridden early of a morning to avoid the heat of the day because the heat really saps my energy. As I age I cannot tolerate the heat nearly as well. I'm not really much of a morning person either so I have to force myself to get out on the road early.

As to the time of day the weather dictates how and when I ride. How do I cope with the conditions? Rather than make a long post here I'll do a post on my blog. The information may help others concerned with some of the same issues that I have.
  • I found the right medication and now I'm feeling better. Allergies are bad late this year. Just took my veteran son out to lunch. Happy Veteran's Day to all of those who served and to the family members who supported their efforts!
  • Having thought about this topic I wrote a quick post on my blog at trikesterhal.blogspot.com. I hope you will read and comment here on some of these issues as they might pertain to you. Enjoy. :) Florida_bound, you introduced a timely topic.
  • I ride every chance I get during daylight hours. But, typically I try to time a daily ride for roughly 2 hours before sundown.

When I ride alone (~70% of the time) I ride for two primary purposes: Lose weight, and build leg muscle. So, I ride in bursts, as fast and hard (with a cadence ~70-80 - still trying to increase my cadence toward a goal of 90) as I can and as long as I can keep it up. Then I ride at a much more relaxed pace for a longer period of time while I recover until I'm ready to go again. I repeat this procedure over and over until I get home. Recent research has shown that this technique maximizes both weight loss and muscle development.

On a typical such ride I cover between 10-20 miles. When I ride with someone (typically my wife), I ride strictly for enjoyment and to push my wife to work just a bit harder than she typically does on her own. When I ride with my wife we typically cover 5-10 miles in 1-1 1/2 hours.

I believe that when and how one rides should be dependent on why one is riding.
  • I forgot to mention that since we have retired, we have been eating after it becomes dark. When I ride in bursts, I am totally spent when I get home and find it next to impossible to consume much food.... This I believe is the reason for my 60# weight loss!
  • I forgot to mention that since we have retired, we have been eating after it becomes dark. When I ride in bursts, I am totally spent when I get home and find it next to impossible to consume much food.... This I believe is the reason for my 60# weight loss!

You're right about that. After a ride I don't have much of an appetite either and that's a good thing. Exercise in general tends to decrease appetite. Now motivation is a totally different animal... :p KnowWhutIMeanVern?