Near Misses Are Adding Up

I ride on two-lane roads with 20-25 mpg speed limits. There is a lot of construction going on so a lot of trucks are passing me. There are few other routes available without putting the trike on the rack and driving. I don't want to do that every time I ride. And, I can't get the car in the garage with the trike on the rack. So, both would have to stay outside and be open to vandalism or theft.

Wednesday, I'm on a long, flat road and see my daughter-in-law pass by, heading to work. Then a pickup comes behind me. I watch as he passes then happen to gaze into the mirror and all I see is flashing lights. If the truck had pulled over behind me, he would have protected me. But, he chose to pass first then pull over in front of me. Fortunately, there was a shoulder we could both pull onto so the ambulance could pass. Close call!

Today I went to a less traveled road but it seems people just don't pay attention on the weekends. A small moving truck was passing me when I suddenly saw a car pulling out of a street on the left. That would have meant both the truck and the car would hit head on. Again, I was lucky to have a shoulder and pulled off the road to give the truck a lane to avoid the crash. I put my hand up to tell the woman in the car to stop but she looked dumbfounded.

I don't know about you guys, but I always look both ways, even when I'm turning right. But, the schools around here have been teaching driver's ed in parking lots for at least 15 years and people just aren't learning the fundamentals. This could be very hazardous to my health!

Comments

• Back when I rode an upright, and had to cross streets, and there was a vehicle turning left in front of me, I looked at their eyes. If they didn’t see me stopped, I went around behind them. Now we just use the bike paths.
    I wish all states have it like we do.
  • How do you make left turns from the bike path?
  • edited November 2017
    I share many of your concerns, Florida_bound. We ride mostly neighborhoods but the connectors are two lane 25-45 mph with little shoulder, or worse, a curb. Hard to feel safe.
  • I have a 4-lane divided state highway with curbs and sidewalks nearby and I could ride the sidewalks for many miles. But, they are so rough! And, there are many slopes where proposed roads and driveways will be that I have to navigate. Finally, the road goes over two small rivers and the sidewalk has bars on either side on that bridge.
    My trike barely fits between them.

I can always go to the Y and ride a stationary recumbent bike but it's sooo boring! I greatly enjoy the scenery as I ride. Just not the passing cars!
  • Come nordth, you Michigander wannabee. I’ll snow blow for you
  • Been there, done that. Will never go north again except in the summer.

We're in a cold spell. It will only get up to the 60s for the next few days.
  • But we don’t have sharks or jelly fish in Lake Michigan. You can ice boat on Muskegon Lake!
  • We iceboat on Elk Lake
  • I know how to avoid sharks and jelly fish. I can't avoid cold in Michigan!

I thought riding was dangerous but today I almost sliced a layer of skin off my finger while cutting an onion. I did find out that we have very poor emergency services in this area. I'll drive further or call 911 next time.
  • Cut onions right outside the ER.
  • I’ll look for studded tires for da Trike for you. Ice fishing in winter too. 4seasons
    To enjoi.
  • No way I'm moving to Michigan. Smart people come down here in the winter!
  • Global warming. Soon, snow skiing will be a thing of the past. Michigan will be the new FLA.
  • If the planet doesn't get serious about global climate change SOON, in just a few years Florida might be underwater and Michigan might be a double coastal state... both of the Great Lakes and of the Atlantic Ocean!
  • We're sure getting a lot of rain in Idaho this year. Storms must be coming from the southern areas as we warm up to the 50's & 60's. Northern Idaho & Montana seen snow already, down here it's been wet. Looks like it will be a late snow this year.

If can get this bug out of my chest can go riding again. If can figure something out to breathe in warmer air can get out in between rain storms. The colder air aggravates the lung congestion and I get no where.
    Not ridden in a month as the days are shorter, warmest part of the day barely lasts an hour now... and it gets cold fast.

¬ ITL
  • If the planet doesn't get serious about global climate change SOON, in just a few years Florida might be underwater and Michigan might be a double coastal state... both of the Great Lakes and of the Atlantic Ocean!

By the end of the century it may not make any difference because it's predicted that up to 80% of all species on the planet will become extinct and that includes humans. I think it's being called the sixth great extinction event. :(
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Back when I rode an upright, and had to cross streets, and there was a vehicle turning left in front of me, I looked at their eyes. If they didn’t see me stopped, I went around behind them. Now we just use the bike paths.
    I wish all states have it like we do.
    I ride on two-lane roads with 20-25 mpg speed limits. There is a lot of construction going on so a lot of trucks are passing me. There are few other routes available without putting the trike on the rack and driving. I don't want to do that every time I ride. And, I can't get the car in the garage with the trike on the rack. So, both would have to stay outside and be open to vandalism or theft.

Wednesday, I'm on a long, flat road and see my daughter-in-law pass by, heading to work. Then a pickup comes behind me. I watch as he passes then happen to gaze into the mirror and all I see is flashing lights. If the truck had pulled over behind me, he would have protected me. But, he chose to pass first then pull over in front of me. Fortunately, there was a shoulder we could both pull onto so the ambulance could pass. Close call!

Today I went to a less traveled road but it seems people just don't pay attention on the weekends. A small moving truck was passing me when I suddenly saw a car pulling out of a street on the left. That would have meant both the truck and the car would hit head on. Again, I was lucky to have a shoulder and pulled off the road to give the truck a lane to avoid the crash. I put my hand up to tell the woman in the car to stop but she looked dumbfounded.

I don't know about you guys, but I always look both ways, even when I'm turning right. But, the schools around here have been teaching driver's ed in parking lots for at least 15 years and people just aren't learning the fundamentals. This could be very hazardous to my health!