This Trike Likes Hills

mqh1yjg01coc.jpg

90% done with my 1st electric assist Trike. 1st test run today and it did everything that I wanted and expected. Climbed right up a 16% grade increase both on PAS and straight throttle. I have a few tweeks on the sinewave and a few on the cycle annalist 3 but all in all it is a great setup. I have 3 levels of assist programmed so still will be getting great exercise but will be able to go further and longer.

Comments

  • What is on your seat, covering the seat?
  • a mesh type pad. keeps my back and but cooler
  • From UK or somewhere in Europe?
  • Where are you at? Is it warm? Do you wear shorts when using the Ventisit? I read that it is scratchy...
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Where are you at? Is it warm? Do you wear shorts when using the Ventisit? I read that it is scratchy...

    very comfortable. Texas home base. Wear shorts all the time.
  • Willie, did you get the hub motor and computer program from TerraTrike?
  • Trkebirder

    No I did not. I did call and find out what they have to offer, and for my application it just wasn't enough. I original looked at the EVO and I this that setup which is basically a electrified Rambler would be great for suburbia with grades of less than 5%.
    So much goes into the thought process of Where you live, where is 90% of the biking done, how much do you weigh, will you add weight , ie: groceries etc etc.
    I am not interested in speed , but needed the amps and watts to climb a 14-16% grade. As stated before I could loose some weight as I come in at 280 lbs.
    Still fine tuning today on the PAS. I do have a 3 position switch for 3 levels of assist and as I get stronger I will need less. It takes around 2300 watts ( with no assist) to climb a 16% grade at 12 mph. (280 lbs) When I do that same climb with the PAS I can cut that in 1/2. A 750 watt hub motor can handle a bit more but not to that level.
    I did ask TerraTrike if I could be a dealer because I really think I could build good trikes for alot of people. To be a good dealer you really have to listen to your customer and figure out their needs and then provide good service. I think to many are in it for the sale and forget the above.
    I must have not fit the mold for Terra Trike as I have not heard back.

    There are alot of good bikes and Trikes and you may already have one that you couold build as a DIY. Good people out ther to help. West Coast Ebikes Barent) and Green Werks (Bill) are 2 good ones to start with that have a lot of knowledge , parts and pieces for sale too.
    Please feel free to contact me as well , I still have a lot to learn but will share what I can.

    Willie
  • I would think that becoming a dealer requires a certain amount of volume. I have heard from these forums that part of the TT dealer contract requires 2 units be on display at all times. Do you have "window space" for that?
  • Willie,
    From your post above " It takes around 2300 watts ( with no assist) to climb a 16% grade at 12 mph. ". Are you expectations to b able to maintain 12 mph while going up a 16 % grade ? That is very optimistic.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    Willie,
    From your post above " It takes around 2300 watts ( with no assist) to climb a 16% grade at 12 mph. ". Are you expectations to b able to maintain 12 mph while going up a 16 % grade ? That is very optimistic.

    TCEd
    Yes optimistic indeed. That was my testing point. However, electric motors are more efficient at a higher speed and less battery drag. you range greatly decreases per charge. Not that I'm out for a 60 mile run everyday :).
    The weather is really crappy here in Texas today. I'm missing my cable for the temp sensor and as soon as that comes in I will start to test at 5 mph and read the temp as well. Again I had a 350 watt hub that would shut down half way up the hill due to overheating. This I know didn't work.
    As stated prior.... still lots to learn, will report more as weather permits. Sure is fun to try and find that sweet spot.
    Willie
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    I would think that becoming a dealer requires a certain amount of volume. I have heard from these forums that part of the TT dealer contract requires 2 units be on display at all times. Do you have "window space" for that?
    Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    I would think that becoming a dealer requires a certain amount of volume. I have heard from these forums that part of the TT dealer contract requires 2 units be on display at all times. Do you have "window space" for that?

    Jrobiso2
    I visited 6 different bike dealers here in the south , 4 were setup in one of those Rent a storage sheds 20x30 garage type thing. 1 was a tiny old house, the other was in a warehouse district that was aprox 25 x 25 show room and a 25x25 shop. most open 3 or 4 days a week is all.

    I live 25 miles out side of San Antonio.( If) I do this, I may start at home where I have a 60'x80 insulated shop. Would prefer to find a place 10-15 miles out of San Antonio and yes have 2 or 3 Trikes ready to go. My (Target) would be 55 years and up with a very solid simple platform, ready to go electric assist.
    There are several good Trike companies out there that make what I would refer to as a "Good Old Chevy Impala" not a 911 something comfortable to get in and out of. Who else has disposable income but the up and coming Baby Boomers :)

    Anyway so much for my thoughts, Thanks for your reply.

    Willie
  • Willie wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »
    Willie,
    From your post above " It takes around 2300 watts ( with no assist) to climb a 16% grade at 12 mph. ". Are you expectations to b able to maintain 12 mph while going up a 16 % grade ? That is very optimistic.

    TCEd
    Yes optimistic indeed. That was my testing point. However, electric motors are more efficient at a higher speed and less battery drag. you range greatly decreases per charge. Not that I'm out for a 60 mile run everyday :).
    The weather is really crappy here in Texas today. I'm missing my cable for the temp sensor and as soon as that comes in I will start to test at 5 mph and read the temp as well. Again I had a 350 watt hub that would shut down half way up the hill due to overheating. This I know didn't work.
    As stated prior.... still lots to learn, will report more as weather permits. Sure is fun to try and find that sweet spot.
    Willie

    Sorry correction, I meant to say SAG not drag.

    Sizing up a persons needs is to know what they want to do.
    Rule of thumb (Farmer Math)
    Volts x Ah divide by 20 watts per hour.( If I run on the flat no peddling) will give me distance and time. Now adding peddle you will increase this a lot.

    Again I still have a lot to learn so please correct me or comment so we all can learn.

    Thanks
    Willie
Sign In or Register to comment.