Loading ramp Ideas?

Looking for suggestions on making loading ramps for our Rovers for our pickup bed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Make them out of wood, 2x4’s with thinner strips nailed on sides as guides. Just need two. Lift back wheel/rack of trike and walk it on. Or if you like spending money one can buy ramps at Harbor Freight or online. Prob need 6’ at least. I made two for my hitch mounted rack so I could walk Trike on. Tired of lifting even just the front end, and it was awkward from the side. Electric winches are too slow, if you found one that would fit the bill. A lot of choices.
  • Videos on YouTube give ideas. Where ramps overlap onto the bed/tailgate might be problematic. You’ll need angled aluminum. Purchased online. Guud luck.
  • edited July 11
    Ed Was just out in the barn & found a set of Xport roof racks we used for our bikes before we bought our truck. He is extremely creative & is going to place a Extension on them and then
    Something for a lip for the truck & we will be set. I’ll post a photo when it’s done! :p
  • All else fails use a piece of PCV pipe however long you need and cut it in half lengthwise. That will give you two ramps.
  • Years ago now I used and easy to find 20% off coupon for steel ramps form Harbor Freight Tools. They still have the ramps I bought ($50 before coupon) and they will hold 1500# (I bought mine to haul a riding garden tractor), but I think I would probably buy their 1000# capacity tri-fold ramps for $90 (before coupon) which you should be able to pick them up for $72 with a 20% coupon.

But I am intrigued by TCEd's idea of using PVC pipe - I'm guessing you would want 3"-4" pipe, (Home depot would cut it for a buck) but I would want it to be strong enough to span a 8-9' length (since that is the length of most truck ramps) and not sag much. Anyone have experience with PVC ramps?
  • It crossed my mind but I questioned the strength. It would attach to my square steel with square u bolts. Maybe even double up on it. Tying down all three tires/wheels is working on my rack. Tying wheels to side rails on our trailer keeps them from wandering too. We are happier than before.
  • I've seen pics of people using p vc,ramps
  • One guud thing is the width availability of the pipe if one wanted to change to a wider tire. Alum I use is stuck at 1 3/4”.
  • Ed Was just out in the barn & found a set of Xport roof racks we used for our bikes before we bought our truck. He is extremely creative & is going to place a Extension on them and then
    Something for a lip for the truck & we will be set. I’ll post a photo when it’s done! :p

Looks like we are back to the drawing board. Our truck sets so high up the boards have to be way too long. We have a 8ft trailer that is just sitting, sure would hate to have to drag it everywhere LOL
  • Would you have to climb up into truck bed to secure them? One may have to be backed in your bed while the other faces forward. We do they configuration in our trailer. Easier to load/get into trailer than a truck bed.
    jmho. Da Finn
  • Harbor Freight - lawnmower loading ramps, $49. Done. Works great :p
  • I have an idea that I haven't tried yet. I can still manage to lift my trike to the roof rack. I will build something like this someday.
    - 4 firing strips from the lumber yard. (smaller and lighter than 2X4's)
    - 2 old door hinges with screws.
    - scrap "cornerboards" from a local warehouse.
    Cornerboards are heavy cardboard similar shape to angle iron but a lot lighter. They are strong enough on their own to be used as ramps - but they will be subject to water damage.

Step One: Figure out how long you want your ramps vs. where you need to store them. If your truck has an 8 foot bed; you can trim 6 inches off each firing strip so they are 7 feet, 6 inches. That way you can easily slide the ramps in the truck and not worry about closing the tailgate. Your ramp will be twice the length once unfolded; my example will give you two 15 foot ramps.

Step Two: Take your trimmed wood and lay 2 pieces end to end. Fasten the door hinge between the two so one strip will now fold over the other long ways. When you flip it over - the 2 strips will butt against each other making one long strip. Repeat to make your 2nd ramp.

Step Three: Attach your wheel racks (unless you just wanna steer real careful). I suggested cornerboards which you can screw to the strips. You can use split conduit cut to match your strip length. You can use angle aluminum or whatever fits your budget and weight reqirements.

Once complete, you should have two 15 foot ramps that fold to 7.5 feet long, around 3 inches wide, 4 inches high and around 4-7 pounds each (depending on what you decide to use for tire rails).
    Once complete, you will want to "tweak" your design. Should I add a metal tab to one end so it rests on the tailgate? Or maybe a nylon belt that goes from the ramp to the truck bed to keep it from slipping?

Depending on how much you have on hand or willing to upcycle - you could have pair of ramps for under $20.

DISCLAIMER: This suggested design is for pushing your trike from the ground to the bed of your truck. Do not attempt to ride up the ramps! If you do; please submit all footage to America's Funniest Videos and I reserve the right to 15% of whatever you win.