So I went for a ride today and my ......

edited May 2011 in Rover
So I went for a ride today and my Sturmey-Archer crapped out on me!! 1st thru 5th will not engage. I made sure the the shifter was adjusted properly but still no luck! I guess I'll have to wait until Monday for answers. :cry:
Gordon

Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
[Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]

Comments

  • Guess we need more details besides it 'crapped out on you' to be of any help?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/
    
    (copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Yeah I guess a better description would be help full.

    I was coasting through a turn coming up to the base of a rather steep hill. So as usual i shifted down to first or second gear but when I returned to pedaling I wasn't going anywhere. So i shifted up to see if the next gear would engage, nothing, so I shifted up a couple more and found that the only gears that would work were 6,7, & 8. I made sure the shifter cable was properly adjusted but that made no difference.

    I'm going to call my dealer, who is 300 miles away, today to see what they suggest. Then I might just give the fine people of TerraTrike a call.
    Gordon

    Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
    [Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]
  • Assuming you are adjusting the cable correctly (on mine, the yellow dot is hard to see), plus the fact you only have the top three gears makes me think you're right. my knowledge *is* rather limited, but when I goofed, and took mine out of adjustment, I had only 1st and 8th...

    Please let us know what you learn?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/
    
    (copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • I had a similar issue last week. It wasn't with the transmission, but the shifter. Didn't realize it 'til it was fixed by my dealer, but I had let someone else ride my Rover and he tried to shift while pedaling and broke something inside the shifter. I wouldn't have been able to fix it myself but any lbs that deals with grip-type shifters should be able to handle it for you to save you the 300 mile travel.
    Mark Pettit, riding the Markian Rover
  • Accidentally shifting while peddling will break the shifter???

    I would say most people who try them out in the bike store may have a little difficulty getting used to the "STOP PEDALING while you shift" routine.

    I guess most floor models would be broken???

    That can't be good....
  • I have a call scheduled to talk to a Trike Mechanic at my Dealer this afternoon. Hope we can figure it out!! :idea:
    Gordon

    Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
    [Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]
  • caryl wrote:
    Accidentally shifting while peddling will break the shifter???

    I would say most people who try them out in the bike store may have a little difficulty getting used to the "STOP PEDALING while you shift" routine.

    I guess most floor models would be broken???

    That can't be good....

    Actually it probably takes alot of force applied to the pedal and shifter at the same time and repeating shifting while applying power to break something. I seriously doubt if a few shifts, would damage anything. When you applying power to the pedals, the gears in the hub are pressing against each other and to try to get them to slide into the next gear at the same time ,while that is happening, isn't good for the hub. It's a bit like shifting a standard transmission car without stepping on the clutch. By the way, almost all Internal Gear Hubs require that you stop pedaling when shifting.
  • Captainbob wrote:
    caryl wrote:
    Accidentally shifting while peddling will break the shifter???

    I would say most people who try them out in the bike store may have a little difficulty getting used to the "STOP PEDALING while you shift" routine.

    I guess most floor models would be broken???

    That can't be good....

    Actually it probably takes alot of force applied to the pedal and shifter at the same time and repeating shifting while applying power to break something. I seriously doubt if a few shifts, would damage anything. When you applying power to the pedals, the gears in the hub are pressing against each other and to try to get them to slide into the next gear at the same time ,while that is happening, isn't good for the hub. It's a bit like shifting a standard transmission car without stepping on the clutch. By the way, almost all Internal Gear Hubs require that you stop pedaling when shifting.

    I get that NOW - BUT when we went to test ride the trike no one gave us a "heads up" on changing gears!

    I can only imagine a great many dealers "forgetting" to give a quick lesson. :?

    Caryl
  • caryl wrote:
    Captainbob wrote:
    caryl wrote:
    Accidentally shifting while peddling will break the shifter???

    I would say most people who try them out in the bike store may have a little difficulty getting used to the "STOP PEDALING while you shift" routine.

    I guess most floor models would be broken???

    That can't be good....

    Actually it probably takes alot of force applied to the pedal and shifter at the same time and repeating shifting while applying power to break something. I seriously doubt if a few shifts, would damage anything. When you applying power to the pedals, the gears in the hub are pressing against each other and to try to get them to slide into the next gear at the same time ,while that is happening, isn't good for the hub. It's a bit like shifting a standard transmission car without stepping on the clutch. By the way, almost all Internal Gear Hubs require that you stop pedaling when shifting.

    I get that NOW - BUT when we went to test ride the trike no one gave us a "heads up" on changing gears!

    I can only imagine a great many dealers "forgetting" to give a quick lesson. :?

    Caryl

    I bet you are right.
  • caryl wrote:
    I can only imagine a great many dealers "forgetting" to give a quick lesson. :?

    Caryl

    Such as I forgot to tell my buddy about it before he broke mine for me. I won't forget again!
    Mark Pettit, riding the Markian Rover
  • Gordon

    Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
    [Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]
  • grodo.00 wrote:

    How is the repair progressing. Are they sending you a new rear wheel?
  • Captainbob wrote:
    grodo.00 wrote:

    How is the repair progressing. Are they sending you a new rear wheel?

    The dealer tells me they are going to send a new wheel. I had to provide my dealer and TerraTrike some pictures, I threw in the video as a bonus.
    Gordon

    Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
    [Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]
  • The Replacement Wheel w/Hub & Shifter are on the way!
    Gordon

    Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
    [Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]
Sign In or Register to comment.