New Rover, first ride, shifter cable slipped

edited May 2011 in Rover
I picked up my new Rover last weekend from a dealer in Elmore, OH. It was a 2.5 hour drive there, being he is my closest TerraTrike dealer. After testing one and the mechanic going over everything I bought it and brought it home. When I got home I read the manual from front to back in preparation for my first ride. The weather has been lousy so any sign of sunshine meant I would have to forgo my first ride in order to mow grass. Finally, today I decided to take it out on it's maiden ride on our GreenWay trail. I took a short trip, 3 miles, when all of a sudden I heard a noise in the rear and could not pedal. The trike would only free wheel. I pushed it back to the car and took a look at the rear hub. The shift cable was frayed the last 3 or 4 inches of it and the cable stop that fits in the shifter arm groove was not in the groove but hanging in front of the sprocket. There is a shiny chrome washer with an arm and notch that looks like it is suppose to lock into the shift cable housing at the hub. That gray shifter housing appears to be bent preventing the chrome washer's arm from engaging. I'll be calling my dealer in the morning to see if he has a new shifter cable to make the repairs. I'm not looking forward to a 5 hour round trip but I don't know what else to do. Here are some images. If someone could upload a couple of photos of what normal looks like, i would appreciate it.

8000 miles and counting...

Comments

• edited May 2011
    See if this helps. This is the PDF of that hub and how the cable is routed from the technical manual on the SA website. . http://www.sturmey-archer.com/userfiles ... 27R1-1.pdf

I took a couple of pictures of mine. excuse condition of hub and cable, looks like it needs some "cleaning", which I will do tomorrow ;) Hope it helps.

SA2.jpg

SA1.jpg

2011_0508003.jpg
  • Yes, that grey shifter housing does appear to be bent, compared to mine. Dont know how that would happen, unless it was misaligned as the wheel bolt was tightened?? But I dont think a bent shifter housing in itself, would have caused your frayed cable. In any case, wheel needs to come out & retaining nuts need to be removed to get the shift housing off for straightening, then reassemble ensuring correct alignment. You should be able to re-use your cable even though its frayed, at least until you get a replacement.

Hardly worth a 5 hour drive in my opinion, if you have some spanners & a hammer! Sorry my photo is not clear (poor camera macro lens).

FILE0364-1.jpg
  • Thanks Captain Bob, Since the gray shifter housing was bent in toward the hub, it allowed the fulcrum lever clip to rotate clockwise and out of it's locked position. I moved it back but the bent housing will not allow the fulcrum lever to lock in. I've readjusted the shifter while in 4th gear as the procedure at terratrike shows. I definitely will call the dealer in the morning to see if he has replacement parts. I just don't understand what caused this.
  • I think when the cable came loose it must have gotten banged up by the wheel spokes causing the fraying. I heard it clattering like the old pop-sickle stick trick I did as a kid.
  • henry crun wrote:
    Yes, that grey shifter housing does appear to be bent, compared to mine. Dont know how that would happen, unless it was misaligned as the wheel bolt was tightened?? But I dont think a bent shifter housing in itself, would have caused your frayed cable. In any case, wheel needs to come out & retaining nuts need to be removed to get the shift housing off for straightening, then reassemble ensuring correct alignment. You should be able to re-use your cable even though its frayed, at least until you get a replacement.

Hardly worth a 5 hour drive in my opinion, if you have some spanners & a hammer! Sorry my photo is not clear (poor camera macro lens).

FILE0364-1.jpg

Normally, i would fix it myself, but since it is brand spankin new, I'll bite the bullet and take the drive. Wish we would get a dealer in northeast Ohio!
  • A minor point, but one I would question/complain about perhaps?

You say your Rover is brand new? Look at the bolts - they are all scuffed up? I have had my rear wheel off like 8-10 times futzing with it, and my nuts (ahem) look better than yours (sorry - that cracks me up) - like they used a pair of pliers on them or something?

As I just bought a new cable from Performance Bike, the cable alone is bout $11 bucks (you do not need to replace the housing unless it's damaged) - I routed my cable differently and needed it longer - anyhow, I can tell you how to remove and replace it if you like? Cheaper than a five hour trip.

As for the bent part, you might call Kelli at TT, and see what the cost is to simply buy the replacement part and have it shipped to you? All in all, might save you some $$$ to do it yourself - unless you can beat-up the dealer enough to pay for your gas???
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Peter,

Really hadn't noticed the scuffs on the wheel nuts. Maybe the mechanic was a little careless or the macro photo is just exaggerating the photo. Anyway, after a night of sleep, I've decided to give TerraTrike a call this morning to see if they would be so kind as to send me the replacement parts for self installation. Hopefully under the circumstances they will consider replacement without charges due to the situation at hand.
  • KeinoDoggy wrote:
    Peter,

Really hadn't noticed the scuffs on the wheel nuts. Maybe the mechanic was a little careless or the macro photo is just exaggerating the photo. Anyway, after a night of sleep, I've decided to give TerraTrike a call this morning to see if they would be so kind as to send me the replacement parts for self installation. Hopefully under the circumstances they will consider replacement without charges due to the situation at hand.

Something I was thinking about, looking at the photo you posted again, with the shifter cable all frayed and bent, I wonder if that 3-4" tail after the cable goes though the securing nut, was what got caught in the spokes. I make sure that end, is pointed away from the wheel, but possibly the dealer may not have noticed that, and it did catch in the spokes as you were riding. That would probably be enough to cause the bending of the shifter assembly.

I'm sure that they will provide you with everything you need to make the repairs under warranty. You can also call them, when you are making the repair, if you need any technical help in replacing the parts. Their customer service is A-1. Let us know how it worked out for you....
  • Captainbob wrote:
    KeinoDoggy wrote:
    Peter,

Something I was thinking about, looking at the photo you posted again, with the shifter cable all frayed and bent, I wonder if that 3-4" tail after the cable goes though the securing nut, was what got caught in the spokes. I make sure that end, is pointed away from the wheel, but possibly the dealer may not have noticed that, and it did catch in the spokes as you were riding. That would probably be enough to cause the bending of the shifter assembly.

I'm sure that they will provide you with everything you need to make the repairs under warranty. You can also call them, when you are making the repair, if you need any technical help in replacing the parts. Their customer service is A-1. Let us know how it worked out for you....

Captainbob,

I think you hit the nail right on the head! That is probably what happened. I spoke to Kelli and she said she will be calling me back this morning to get this taken care of. I do plan on doing the repair myself instead of the 5 hour drive. I wish they had a instructional video on this site showing how to remove the rear hub, wheel and shifter mechanism, but I do not see one. Something like tah would also be helpful for replacing a tire on the rear.
  • KeinoDoggy wrote:
    Captainbob wrote:
    KeinoDoggy wrote:
    Peter,

Captainbob,

I think you hit the nail right on the head! That is probably what happened. I spoke to Kelli and she said she will be calling me back this morning to get this taken care of. I do plan on doing the repair myself instead of the 5 hour drive. I wish they had a instructional video on this site showing how to remove the rear hub, wheel and shifter mechanism, but I do not see one. Something like tah would also be helpful for replacing a tire on the rear.

See if this helps for removing the rear wheel ( it's for repairing a flat) viewtopic.php?f=29&t=476#p1230
  • I agree with Bob - Kelli and crew are top-notch~!

I did not do anything with the hub on mine, but I *did* replace the shifter cable bout a week back. I sent you a PM with my cell # - while I am in no way a bike mechanic, you're welcome to call me if I can be of any help.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • I got a call from Steve at TerraTrike. I believe he is one of the technicians. After looking at my photos he is sending the parts necessary to replace all of the damaged ones.
    Once they come in, I'll give all a heads up as to my progress. Thanks for all your help and insight, hopefully if the weather is good I'll be riding this weekend.
  • Hi, Keino.

Been following your progress. We're from Cleveland. Like you, we wish there were a trike shop in northeast Ohio. We visited the bike shop that you got your Rover 8 from, but after considering everything we ordered our trikes from Utah Trikes and have been perfectly well pleased with everything about our purchase experience. We were thinking about picking up a second stock 8 Rover from the bike shop you purchased yours from. But we are concerned that the shop may have dropped the ball in building your trike. What did Steve and Kelli B say caused your problem with the rear cable? How much damage was done? What is being replaced and/or repaired? Was it dealer error, or something else?

Thanks, Keino, for any information you can provide. Under the circumstances, I'm tempted just to pay the extra shipping and get our trike delivered direct from Utah Trikes. With hindsight, would you have done anything differently?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Kate
  • *I* think the three of us should start riding together~! I'm just south of Akron - the "Bike and Hike" MUP is just north of Stow on Route 8 and is completely paved, and other than road-crossings, very flat.

Or any other venue that you two can suggest? I am not into 'road' riding personally...
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Peter,

That sounds wonderful. My only prob is that I just got that surgery done and the doc won't release me till mid-July to do anything strenuous with the surgical hip. So late July? You got it. Of course by that time you'll have some serious bent legs working, and I'll be floundering. No prob, I'm really good at bringing up the rear. :)

MUP works great for us. At this point in the rehab, the flatter the better. I really like that nice flat stretch between Clyde and Elmore in northwest Ohio, but it is a haul for all of us. We ordered a double trike rack for the car, which should arrive later this week. As soon as we work through the deets on purchasing the 2d trike for Ohio, we'll be good to go.

Talk soon,
    kate
  • katekosar wrote:
    Hi, Keino.

Been following your progress. We're from Cleveland. Like you, we wish there were a trike shop in northeast Ohio. We visited the bike shop that you got your Rover 8 from, but after considering everything we ordered our trikes from Utah Trikes and have been perfectly well pleased with everything about our purchase experience. We were thinking about picking up a second stock 8 Rover from the bike shop you purchased yours from. But we are concerned that the shop may have dropped the ball in building your trike. What did Steve and Kelli B say caused your problem with the rear cable? How much damage was done? What is being replaced and/or repaired? Was it dealer error, or something else?

Thanks, Keino, for any information you can provide. Under the circumstances, I'm tempted just to pay the extra shipping and get our trike delivered direct from Utah Trikes. With hindsight, would you have done anything differently?

Kate

If it was the cable end, which it looks like it was from the photo, that could easily happen by anyone accidentally pushing the end of the cable too close to the chain or spokes. I made sure when I unpacked mine, that this end was bent way out which you can see in the picture posted.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that you can buy a trike directly from Terratrike. The advantage is that you get a 30 day free road test, and if you don't like the trike they will refund the purchase price plus shipping. Most dealers will charge a restocking fee and you pay the shipping both ways. I would have purchased mine from TT, but they were completely out of Rovers last summer, and the dealer had some in stock.
  • katekosar wrote:
    Peter,

That sounds wonderful. My only prob is that I just got that surgery done and the doc won't release me till mid-July to do anything strenuous with the surgical hip. So late July? You got it. Of course by that time you'll have some serious bent legs working, and I'll be floundering. No prob, I'm really good at bringing up the rear. :)

MUP works great for us. At this point in the rehab, the flatter the better. I really like that nice flat stretch between Clyde and Elmore in northwest Ohio, but it is a haul for all of us. We ordered a double trike rack for the car, which should arrive later this week. As soon as we work through the deets on purchasing the 2d trike for Ohio, we'll be good to go.

Talk soon,
    kate

Hehe - actually, I am soon to have my right hip replaced, so late July or so is the ticket~!

Keino - we are talking about you too. Would you like to do some rides with other local Ohio folks? Here is where all of us are:

OH_MAP.jpg

Not super-close, but I do think a bunch of trikes riding together would be a blast :)
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • It actually looks like the "Bike and Hike trail starting from Stow/Hudson is pretty central to all of us. But for me, am always open to riding any paved MUPs - but I like flat :)
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Hey, Peter, is it possible to plot the bike and hike on that there map? 'Twould be interesting to see just how central we all are, eh?

kate
  • katekosar wrote:
    Hi, Keino.

Kate

Sorry,

Just getting back to the forum. Right now I'm waiting on parts and then if I need any help I'll call TerraTrike. I would say the whole incident was just a matter of bad luck. The cable end must have been pointing in toward the chain or spokes, got pulled out and caused all the damage. Elmore was also involved in the phone calls. mike at Elmore seems like good guy and was very helpful in making my decision as to which Rover and which accessories to buy. Their store is right next to a bike trail which was very convenient for testing. I would have no problem buying from them again, it is just the 5 hour round trip that I don't like at $4.00/gal.! The trail I use here is the ten-feet wide paved surface Western Reserve GreenWay trail. It is nearly fully flat the entire length. Here's some info.

http://metroparks.co.trumbull.oh.us/parks/WRG.htm

Here's the guide:

http://metroparks.co.trumbull.oh.us/DocLibrary/TrailGuide200910.pdf
  • By the way there is a forum devoted to riding groups in different states, which might be a good place to post invites to rides in your area.

viewforum.php?f=8
  • Thinking...

I *may* be able to do something. let me play with it and I'll get back to you??

BTW - am more than willing to come to you, or there is another MUP (have not seen yet) over towards Youngstown way...
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Here's a link to the MUP on Trqil link
    http://www.traillink.com/trail/bike-and-hike-trail.aspx

HA! Found it - Here is a map with the entire MUP mapped
    http://www.traillink.com/trail-maps/bike-and-hike-trail.aspx

Zoom in and find '303'. It's at the top of the 'V'. I turn SSE at the "V" and do an 'out and back. So far have only gone bout 8 miles (just into Portage county) and turned around...

Can't do the loop as in the lower-left corner you are on roads with no shoulders.

If you go north of the "V", you get two bad hills, and in 5 miles you hit bad road for 2-3 miles.

I *think* you can do an out-and-back of up to bout 20 miles or so...
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Hey, Keino, thanks for the response. The only other thing I was wondering about was whether anyone at Terra Trike or the shop had anything to say about the worn state of the nuts in the pictures you posted. Obviously, a couple of scuffed-up nuts is nothing in the big picture, but it does make you pause to see them on a brand new unit, especially if, like me, you're a little bit paranoid about keeping new things looking new.

See you on the trail,
    Best of luck with the repair,
    Kate
  • KeinoDoggy wrote:
    {snip}
    The trail I use here is the ten-feet wide paved surface Western Reserve GreenWay trail. It is nearly fully flat the entire length. Here's some info.

Here's the guide:

Looks like the 'Sunside' trailhead is bout 70 minutes from me. That's not too far. Can't do that every day, but would be worth it for the company :) Are you a *slow* rider Keino? Because I am~!
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • katekosar wrote:
    Hey, Keino, thanks for the response. The only other thing I was wondering about was whether anyone at Terra Trike or the shop had anything to say about the worn state of the nuts in the pictures you posted. Obviously, a couple of scuffed-up nuts is nothing in the big picture, but it does make you pause to see them on a brand new unit, especially if, like me, you're a little bit paranoid about keeping new things looking new.

See you on the trail,
    Best of luck with the repair,
    Kate

I looked at the nuts this morning. They are fine, I think the macro setting on the camera just makes them more pronounced. Look at the nuts on the photos posted of Captainbobs hub in comparison. I think the nuts are painted grey and when they are torqued down some of that paint inevitably comes off.
  • Peter_C wrote:
    KeinoDoggy wrote:
    {snip}
    The trail I use here is the ten-feet wide paved surface Western Reserve GreenWay trail. It is nearly fully flat the entire length. Here's some info.

Here's the guide:

Looks like the 'Sunside' trailhead is bout 70 minutes from me. That's not too far. Can't do that every day, but would be worth it for the company :) Are you a *slow* rider Keino? Because I am~!

The Sunside Trailhead is where I usually start! I'd be glad to meet up with you on a nice day there. I'm no speed demon, especially after not riding all winter. The short ride I took on my Rover I probably averaged 8-10 mph.
  • Well, my average is a slow 7mph (not including stops) on the bike and hike.
    /shrug
    There's just a lot of me to move - LOL

Seems like my rolling speed on the flats is bout 7-9mph, but any kind of rise and I slow down to 5-6mph. I've only ridden bout 900 miles in the last 35+ years. Got my new knee (frank) 11/09 and got back to riding last summer. Got my Rover bout 4 months ago and have a whooping 90 miles on it so far...
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • I received the replacement parts today. Perhaps if it quits raining I can make the repairs this weekend.
  • Before I blindly tear into the shifter, does anyone have a link to the procedure to disconnect the shift cable at the shifter? Captain bob, another link to Sturney showing this? Peter, you said you have replaced your cable once already, any insight into doing this?