27 or 34 inch schlumpf HSD

edited August 2011 in Rover
27 or 34 inch HSD Schlumpf for Rover 8? I've reaaly enjoyed my rover (got it first part of June) and may be in the market for some more gearing in the near future. Really like the idea of the HSD as a force multiplier. I'm thinking the 34" HSD is the best fit for the sturmey archer hub. Inputs? :)

Comments

• I can't really see the need for much higher gears with the Rover 8-speed. The only time I even come close to spinning out my Rover in 8th gear, is going down a pretty steep hill at over 24 mph, and frankly at that point, I coast anyway. I can't imagine trying to utilize the high range on a Rover. A lower gear is usually what Rover owners are after, and if you used the 27T HST, you wouldn't be going that much lower ( 20" instead of 25") and you will spend alot of money doing it.

I also think you will find that Terratrike doesn't offer the Schlumpf Drives as an option for the Rover.
  • Just food for thought? You might want to cruise over the UTT (Utah Trikes) as they are the custom shop for TT (TerraTrike). They have a lot of different solutions to offer.

Personally, I chose to *lower* my gearing (lousy engine) by changing to a 'Lasco' 152mm crankset. it came with 22/32/44 chain rings, and I took off all but the 22T (stock is 32T) so my lowest gear is now about 16GI. Of course, this also dropped my top gear - bout 13mph @ 80rpm.

But, you could do the same thing going the other way~! Take off all but the 44T chain ring - would lose bottom gears, but add to the top - depends on hills, what you want to do, how fit you are, etc...

Of course, adding a 'speed-drive' or a Mountain-drive would be wonderful (get both lower low and high high) but rather spendy.

Check out this page http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/, and use it to figure out what you realistically want your gear range to be, then go from there.

Hope this helps
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Thanks for the replies folks. I'm still playing with the stock Rover, but looking for future options/upgrades. We have some decent hills where I ride daily, so didn't want to stray too far from the low. Hit 34 mph on one of my downhill 'coasts' today... that was fun! Only problem is you gotta come back up. :)
  • On the Utah Trikes site, Ashley has done a big review on the HSD with various rear options for the TerraTrikes. While I think he is using a Cruiser, he ahs the gear options for an 8 speed Nexus and SA....

Thinking about the HSD with 27 teeth for my next upgrade, maybe next summer... the 34 will give a lot more high gears, up to 47.5 mph, but the 27 will give me a lower low and a lot more higher speed also, so its probably 27 for me...
    Arasgrandpa
    Rover 8
    Olympia, WA (Summer)/Chandler, AZ (Winter)
    www.tommymartin.info - Blog
  • On the Utah Trikes site, Ashley has done a big review on the HSD with various rear options for the TerraTrikes. While I think he is using a Cruiser, he ahs the gear options for an 8 speed Nexus and SA....

Thinking about the HSD with 27 teeth for my next upgrade, maybe next summer... the 34 will give a lot more high gears, up to 47.5 mph, but the 27 will give me a lower low and a lot more higher speed also, so its probably 27 for me...

Somehow, I can't imagine a Rover with a HSD, and I have over 4,000 miles riding one. I have yet to spin out the gear on the 8 -speed, but over 25 mph, I don't pedal, but coast.
  • Captainbob wrote:
    On the Utah Trikes site, Ashley has done a big review on the HSD with various rear options for the TerraTrikes. While I think he is using a Cruiser, he ahs the gear options for an 8 speed Nexus and SA....

Somehow, I can't imagine a Rover with a HSD, and I have over 4,000 miles riding one. I have yet to spin out the gear on the 8 -speed, but over 25 mph, I don't pedal, but coast.

True... I have yet to get over 25 ... of course I haven't tried to often.. :P If I do upgrade it would be after much consideration. I spin out at about 18-19 now.. I think the gear calculator says 18.7 and that sounds about right. With the 27 I think Ashley says you get about 35, but not sure that is correct, going on memory and that is a tricky thing. But with the 27, I get some more low, that is really what I need. But I don't want to give up the high, and to be honest, I would like to spin out higher, I think....

Was considering adding a front 3 speed cassette, but that is getting into the $300 range and adding a derailer, something I wanted to steer away from. For a few hundred more the HSD gets you extra gears and stays with single sprocket.. would also like to evaluate the Speed Drive and teh Moutain Speed Drive, but think they all fall into the same price range... but only time will tell, right now I have all I can pedal.. :)
    Arasgrandpa
    Rover 8
  • Captainbob wrote:
    On the Utah Trikes site, Ashley has done a big review on the HSD with various rear options for the TerraTrikes. While I think he is using a Cruiser, he ahs the gear options for an 8 speed Nexus and SA....

True... I have yet to get over 25 ... of course I haven't tried to often.. :P If I do upgrade it would be after much consideration. I spin out at about 18-19 now.. I think the gear calculator says 18.7 and that sounds about right. With the 27 I think Ashley says you get about 35, but not sure that is correct, going on memory and that is a tricky thing. But with the 27, I get some more low, that is really what I need. But I don't want to give up the high, and to be honest, I would like to spin out higher, I think....

Was considering adding a front 3 speed cassette, but that is getting into the $300 range and adding a derailer, something I wanted to steer away from. For a few hundred more the HSD gets you extra gears and stays with single sprocket.. would also like to evaluate the Speed Drive and teh Moutain Speed Drive, but think they all fall into the same price range... but only time will tell, right now I have all I can pedal.. :)

If you practice spinning at high RPM, hitting a cadence of 95 rpm is not that difficult for short periods, ( going downhill) . That would mean you could pedal up to abut 22 mph without spinning out with the stock 8 speed, which is what i do on my daily runs. If you could pedal faster than that, the main resistance that you will get will be wind resistance, and pedaling hard to just fight the wind, is pretty inefficient in my opinion, so at that speed, coasting is what I do. I also think that one would have to be a world class cyclist to spin out on anything but a downhill run on a stock 8 speed Rover. If I had a HSD, I doubt if I would ever use it. What I would be looking to add, would be lower gears for climbing, if I was going to ride in areas that were more hilly than my normal rides. I think adding a front derailluer, with smaller crank would be the easiest and most useful way to change the gearing on the Rover 8, or as you said, a 3 speed hub in addition to the 8 speed. If you can hit 47 mph on a Rover, I think you should consider riding in the next Tour de France. ;)
  • I guess that's why they make different brands and different sizes, so we can all have our own way.. or at least a way we can afford.. for me, my guess is that I will not change anything for some time. The gears are fine for what I do now and will be doing for the next year. Live in relatively flat country both winter and summer. But if I could peal a Rover to 47 mph, I would probably have to be on drugs... 25 is scary enough.. :D
    Arasgrandpa
    Rover 8
  • We offer the Schulumpf HSD 27 for the Rover 8.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • did I mention that I had a Shimano hub rather than a Strumey-Archer, it's way lowered geared than the TT stock hub.

With the Strumey hub I think the Mountain Drive with a 42 tooth ring up front and the 25 tooth cog in the back would be the ticket, roughly 12 to 101 inches. Pull a trailer, hammer the big wheels - do it all. If the hub is strong enough for the torque that 2.5:1 cranks out. You don't have that issue gearing the front up with a HSD.

Good gear ranges, should work well for most people that need lower gearing for climbing. Downside is that the cost over the stock SA 8 is about $700+.
  • Got a cost for the MD installed?
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • One thing I would do before spending alot of money on a Schlumf, is to use Sheldons calculator and see what gearing one would wind up with , in all 8 gears and the low and high range, to see if they would be useful or not..

For example, using 42 tooth chainwheel and the SA hub
    Gear Low
    High ( all in gear inches)
    1st 12.7
    2nd 16.6
    3rd 18.8
    4th 21.3
    5th 24.5
    6th 27.8
    7th 31.6
    8th 41.1

Here are the stock 8 speed with the SA hub

On a flat, I spend almost all my time in 46.2 , 52.3, and 59.4. Seldom use 77.4 unless pedaling downhill. So it looks like the high range of 3rd, 4th and 5th gear would probably be good for level terrain, but the gear I would probably miss a little would be the stock 35.2 since I would have to jump from 31 to 41 (approx) . I doubt I would ever use 8th gear in high range, because at that speed, I am coasting anyway.

So all in all, seems like the gears and range are pretty good, with that one gap that I pointed out.

The other issues, as was pointed out, was if the SA hub can handle the torque of the Mountain Drive.
  • Understood. But what works for you, doesn't work for me. Right now I am using a 20T front chainring, so my gears are:

Low - - - - - - High

I used (right now) mainly the 32.7 and 37.1 as my primary flatland gears, and rarely use the 48.4 - But, I would like lower gears *still* as anything over 12-13% I can not do.

So, with a 30-something chainring and an MD, I'd get all the low gears in the world, without running out of high gears (for me) at all.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • My comment wasn't directed at any one individual, but was to encourage folks to calculate the gears they will wind up with before dropping down 6-8 hundred dollars on a gearing change that they may not find useful ( which is cost of an entire Rover single speed) . My point was, that if I invested this money, I doubt if I would gain any benefit at all from the stock gearing that I use now..If I lived in an area that had much steeper hills, than Atlanta, then it would be something I would think about, but I would also consider a front derailluer as an option.
  • edited October 2016
      So one can actually go 25 MPH on a Rover SA i8?!? :-O Wow!

The Sigma BC 1009 must not be set up right then... stock wheels & tires have the setting of 1.580 ... wondering what the correct setting would be?
      In 5th gear it shows I was doing roughly 7.7MPH iirc. 3rd I was poking along around 5.3 MPH - into a breeze.

Did get into 8th gear once going down hill but my poor legs couldn't keep the Rover at that warp speed for long. Cannot imagine going 25 MPH on a tadpole.
      Did 27 MPH on a Rockhopper coming down off the grade of the Snake River Bridge from Fruitland, ID to Ontario, OR. That grade is a beast going back up! And it's not really that much of a grade compared to other hills.
      Making me wish I had a granny gear to plop down into, although have an IGH. :(  There's pluses and minuses on derailleur or IGH - if only a person could have both. - And a Schlumpf MD would be a bonza alternative with an IGH! Only thing is the cost of the Schlumpf!

¬ ITL
  • Anyone can go fast downhill. Flatland sustained speed give you bragging rights
  • In the flatlands of South Florida, I don't go lower than 5th gear and I need much more than 8th.  In Northern Virginia, I never got up to 8th gear.  It all depends on where you live.
  • edited October 2016
      Found the thread doing Google searches on some idea I had last night - after my 3rd or 4th Monster Zero. :P Was running on 5 hours sleep and had a lot to accomplish before night-fall.

¬ ITL