cold

hey hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving, i had my rover 14 months now but some serious miles on it, i have degenerative spinal probs along with osteoarthritis of the spine, i cant walk 20 yards but can ride my rover endlessly, until it got cold that is, this is the first winter that the cold is actually hurting me, i cant seem to bundle up enough to stay warm, any suggestions on some cold weather gear, as i really need to be able to ride, any help is appreciated

Comments

• We get plenty of cold and snow here in SE Wisconsin but when the roads are dry we ride. The trick is to start out just a bit cold and warm up as you ride. You will be properly dressed when you start shivering after just standing outside for 3-4 minutes. The great thing about a trike is you can use just about any glove you like since there is no need for padding on the palms. For me I hate cold feet so I use geeky shoe covers I picked up years ago. A balaclava you can pull down if you get too warm and earmuffs for sure. Light weight silk long underwear or polypro as a base then tights and a mid weight top with a Gortex jacket that has pit zips and you should be fine down to 15f without a fairing. There is something oddly beautiful about tooling along on a sunny winter day with 4' snow drifts right next to the road.
    jeffacme
  • here in south east new mexico 4 inches of snow would be considered blizzard conditions, we get plenty cold but its a dry cold lol,
  • kc5wqy wrote:
    here in south east new mexico 4 inches of snow would be considered blizzard conditions, we get plenty cold but its a dry cold lol,

Four feet my friend one thing I forgot to mention is fleece socks down to 35f or so you may be able to get away with just fleece socks.
  • i really appreciate the suggestions
  • Here is my advice from upstate NY -
    (1) Layer.
    (2) Take an extra layer with you in your rack trunk or seat bag - an extra top plus a pair of socks.
    (3) If part of your body gets cold, figure out what you can change next ride to be warmer.

I was out with friends on Sunday, on an overcast day with the temperature in the low 30's. I was plenty warm except for my feet. I have SPD sandals, and wear two pairs of wool socks. I may have to switch from the sandals, but I like using clipless pedals. I'm considering using a fairing, or just accepting cold feet (while my feet are cold, it is well short of the "OMG - my toes are going to fall off" feeling.

Apart from the health benefits of continuing riding into the winter, I really enjoy riding familiar trails after the leaves are off the trees. It's like a different landscape...

Enjoy triking!

Ken
  • ridng for me is a little more, its pain management keeps me from getting stiff and really about the only type of exercise i can do, but unfortunantly getting cold causes me tremedous pain, thought about a body like a velomobile
    but couldnt afford it and if i did i'd probably find out im clostophobic or something lol, need some electric long johns
  • I was plenty warm except for my feet. I have SPD sandals, and wear two pairs of wool socks. I may have to switch from the sandals, but I like using clipless pedals. I'm considering using a fairing, or just accepting cold feet (while my feet are cold, it is well short of the "OMG - my toes are going to fall off" feeling.

Apart from the health benefits of continuing riding into the winter, I really enjoy riding familiar trails after the leaves are off the trees. It's like a different landscape...

Enjoy triking!

Ken

Bike Nashbar has stretchy shoe covers for $29.99 if you buy em large they should fit over the sandals.
  • kc5wqy wrote:
    ridng for me is a little more, its pain management keeps me from getting stiff and really about the only type of exercise i can do, but unfortunantly getting cold causes me tremedous pain, thought about a body like a velomobile
    but couldnt afford it and if i did i'd probably find out im clostophobic or something lol, need some electric long johns

If you dress properly riding down to 15f is no problem. You can pile on the layers but just a few higher tech items such as Silk/Polypro long underwear and wihdstopper tops/tights and a good jacket with pit zips will keep you toasty and dry. Too many layers can result in overheating and sweating which will make you cold the only way to find out what works best for you is to get out there, give it a try, and tweak as needed.
  • well i did manage to get out today did a 12 mile round trip to the tractor store, warmed up to the mid 60s, needed that ride badly, feel much better now, been couped up nearly 2 weeks due to ice, snow, and freezing cold, snow and ice not common here,
  • temps were in low 40s today i attempted to ride, but started to shiver which led to back spasms,
  • I don't think they make them big enough