Sidewalk Bicycle Riding

I found Florida law on riding a bicycle on sidewalks.  Looks like I'm good to go!

"s. 316.2065 – Bicycle Regulations

(10)  A person propelling a vehicle by human power upon or along a
sidewalk, or across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, has all the
rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same
circumstances.

(11)  A person propelling a bicycle upon or along a sidewalk, or
across a roadway upon and along a crosswalk, shall yield the
right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give an audible signal before
overtaking and passing such pedestrian.
"

They also suggest you check local ordinances.  I haven't found anything for my county yet and I don't live in an incorporated area.  However, in the winter, the average age of a driver here will be about 60 years old.  You couldn't pay me to ride on the roads during that time.  I have a long sidewalk separated by a canal from a very busy 6-lane highway.   I think that's the best place for my to ride.  The only downfall is I will need massive volumes of sunscreen as there is absolutely no shade.

Comments

• I haven't seen any leaves change colors so it can't be Fall!  Besides, we have summer thunderstorms with a heat index of 101 right now.

I hoping October is much better.
  • edited September 2015
    Hey, you people that live in Florida do you ever come upon those scaly speed bump sitting on your paths ? Gators....
  • Not so far but I haven't ridden much since I moved here in June.  I used to live in the panhandle of Florida but never saw gators there.  In Gainesville, you can see them in Lake Alice near the university almost any time.

If I came across one, I would surely do the fastest 180 possible on a trike.  They are nothing to mess with!
  • I'd rather be up there, also.  But, family lives down here!
  • I rarely can ride on sidewalks here in Ca. Most areas do not have any. The ones they have built are populated with large electric pole and boxes to house the circuts for the street lights and such.