Da Brim Cycling Visor

A few of you know I bought Da Brim which is a visor for a cycling helmet. Went for the larger Classic for more sun protection from many angles. You can find more over at their website: http://www.dabrim.com/html/products/cycling/classic.htm

Took a few tries to get in fairly centered. The one that I received did not have all its parts 'centered' however it still was functional. The company said it could be sent back to have it fixed, which I will probably do next Monday after the parades.

Went for a 6 mile ride today into town, slight cross winds. The breezes did not affect me. Personal preference I would of liked the front brim to had come down more. One thing I really noticed was how much glare was reduced - this made it a lot easier on the eyes in full sunlight. Didn't get sun burned either an the lips survived.

Had received a few compliments, and a few second looks. It's essentially a wide brim around a cycling helmet. One of the board of directors from the Weiser River Trail found me along the highway and stopped to sell me a couple of WRT t-shirts I had been wanting. Had a few beeps, honks, people complimenting me on their way by, and one gentleman on a moto-cross motorcycle slowed down, looked back and me, and gave me a thumbs up - in which I gave him two high thumbs-up in return. had way more compliments today wearing Da brim than without.
  And the lady from WRT thinks these would be great with Friends of the Weiser River Trail logo on them and sold to members and events. I agree!

For a measly 6 mile trip Da Brim did it's job despite being a tad off center on the adjustment strap. - Oh, and the visor can be removed and reattached fairly easily once you've done it a couple of times. :)

Now I have no one to take photos of me so most everything is selfies. Wished I could afford a drone thing to follow, circle around me, and what not. So am limited to selfies.  ;)

Stopped at A&W for a root beer float.

G'Day Mate!

And the recumbent brim Front Stabilizer is fairly stiff and light weight. It is recommended for recumbents to put the front brim down more. For me the existing velcro strap was not long enough for personal preference. Had to get creative but found a way to keep it fairly extended.

Parades start on Saturday and the flags I ordered from TerraTrike should be here sometime tomorrow. Haven't gotten creative with the pool noodles yet. Soon. :)

¬ ITL

Comments

•   Oh, and the 3rd Eye was rather useless with Da Brim on, so I angled it down to watch the back end of the Rover. I have two mirrors on the trike. It's something I've had on since I started riding and kept adding another one on with each helmet I got.

¬ ITL
  • Say, when they say the front brim is 3.5 inches, are they measuring from the helmet or the forehead?

Also, how well does it adjust for different helmet sizes and shapes? It looks like there's a rim of light still getting through a gap between the helmet and brim.

- PaulNM
  • edited May 2017
      White helmet, white nylon material. Only the 360° brim is opaque, the inner mounting area is double-sided nylon and can light up in the sun. The back area has a piece of foam I'm guessing to block sun from penetrating through the back of the helmet.
      There are different colors, and off-white wasn't listed until I was placing the order. Was going to go with blue.

The sporty version has a shorter brim, comes in more colors and shades of camo.

Brim width is from the edge inward, so towards the helmet. :)  The side strap can be really snugged down.

Da Brim Cycling Model Installation on an Elongated Bicycle Helmet

Da Brim Cycling Model Installation on a Rounded Helmet

¬ ITL
  • edited May 2017

Classic Specs:
    • UPF50+ brim (helmet attachment crown not rated)
    • As with other visors, does not provide top of head sun protection
    • 3½" front brim contours to 4½" at rear to provide excellent neck sun protection
    • Lightweight (weighs approximately 5 oz.)
    • Water Resistant
    • 100% Nylon exclusive of decoration
    • Hand wash, hang to dry
    • One size fits most
    • Available in 4 colors: Grey, Red, Blue, and Yellow; all colors with black underbrim
    • Made in USA

Sporty Specs:
    • UPF50+ brim (helmet attachment crown not rated)
    • As with other visors, does not provide top of head sun protection
    • 2¾" front brim contours to 3¾" at rear to provide excellent neck sun protection
    • Lightweight (weighs approximately 4.5 to 5 oz.)
    • Water Resistant
    • 100% Nylon exclusive of decoration for solids, 60% nylon/40% polyester for prints
    • Hand wash, hang to dry
    • One size fits most
    • Available in 3 colors and patterns: Tan, Pastel Ribbons, and Camo; all colors with black underbrim.
    • Made in USA

Rezzo Visor Specs:
    • UPF50+ bill (helmet attachment band not rated)
    • As with other visors, does not provide top of head sun protection; does not provide sun protection through pressure relief gap
    • Bills available in 3", 3½", and 4" lengths
    • Extremely Lightweight: 2.2 - 2.4 oz, dependent on bill size
    • Water Resistant
    • Attachment band: 100% Nylon exclusive of decoration, Bills: Solids--100% nylon; Prints: 50% nylon/50% polyester
    • Hand wash, hang to dry
    • One size fits most
    • Bills available in 9 different colors and patterns (Black, Grey, Red, Blue, Gold, Tan, Pastel Ribbons, Camo, Tan Skulls on Black); all bill colors have a black underside.
    • Attachment band is black
    • Made in USA

More info, reviews, photos, installation videos, and other visor products for Equestrian, Climbing, Paddlesport, Ski & Snowboard, Outdoor (Brim over baseball cap), Professional at:
      http://www.dabrim.com/html/products/cycling.htm

¬ ITL
  • Ok, interesting. When I first took a serious look at da brim a week or two ago, I didn't think those bill lengths were all that impressive. I have a thin baseball cap that fits under my helmet that's about the same length.

It's a different story now that I know it's on top of the inch or two a helmet adds.

- PaulNM
  •   Wonder if anyone has made a portable tent that attaches to their trike, not that I could fathom actually sleeping on mine over night. But if the ground was wet, maybe?

¬ ITL
  • Martin Hutchinson, a british environment activist, has been travelling Europe on a trike with no money, taking films of environmental disasters. He sleeps on/under and next to his trike every day.

His videos are on YouTube.
  • Was reading about Martin, he must be a little odd !
  • edited May 2017
    Jrobiso2 said:
    Martin Hutchinson, a british environment activist, has been travelling Europe on a trike with no money, taking films of environmental disasters. He sleeps on/under and next to his trike every day.

His videos are on YouTube.
    Cannot condone riding at night, on a highway even, with no lights or indicators. How he could even see the road is beyond me. Saw one of his night riding videos, very short. He probably got clipped by a vehicle coming behind him.

¬ ITL
  • edited May 2017
    Saw one of his videos he ran with no lights going down a highway. /thumbs down
    (adding < br > 's)
    Then another he had more lights than I have. /boggle
    The laser line one looked intriguing, seen mention of them before, but must of been price that scared me away from one ... don't recall.

¬ ITL
  • Yeah, he's not my cup of tea either. I much prefer Matthew Galat's jayoe videos. He's started the ride again. Recovered from being run over by a truck, knee injuries, and having a baby
  • Sometimes these guys adventures become an obsession and they end up screwing up their and others lives. Riding around the world attempting to promote environmental issues on a trike is dumb.
  • Martin is a complainer. Simple as that. Some people exist to complain