Headrest

edited June 2017 in Accessories
Wonder if the cushion on the headrest has gotten better since the reviews and comments all over the internet (interwebs as some people call it). Had ordered the Low Rider Rack last Friday but it hadn't shipped yet, so added the TT Headrest to the order. Guess will see how cushiony it is soon. ;)

Was headed to church this last Saturday, running late and pressing hard to make up for time. Had the ukulele strapped in on the fiberglass rods (OEM Flag mounts) in front of the luggage rack. And am running Da Brim on the helmet too. This providing an unusual effect, as Da Brim's back brim was resting against the ukulele's base and my head was in a flexing rest position. THAT is where I realized that hey, this feels good! :D So... decided that I'd spend the other half of my rent money on upgrading to the headrest. ... which also means I'll have to find another way of carrying the ukulele (unless i can trade it for a didjeribone).

On the ride in I was indeed pressing/pulling on the bars to help me compensate for these sidewalk ramp areas. Once getting to church my neck muscles were a tad sore, cause I was pressing hard to get to church on time. Even parked inside, no time to chain up.
On the ride back I rested my head more on the above method. Since was going more uphill it felt equally as good. So.... despite the big pinch in the budget, this is going to be a long term upgrade, and give me some comfort when wanted/needed.

IMG_20170624_141030195%20sm_zpskm8ak9hf.jpg

Was looking online of the old Utah Trikes headrest that no one can get, TerraTrike's version, and Finer Recliner's adaptation. Went over a lot of mounting photos and write-ups and it seemed that TT still had the better idea. It also looks more rugged, while also minimizing the parts needed.
Finer Recliner has a better headrest cushion with two different densities, and an option to have a custom embroidered cover. As for the mount on TerraTrikes it is more costly of all their models cause of the various adapters to compensate in the design - which in turn would add more issues to adjustment, slippage, and weight.

So am prepared that I may have to come up with a different headrest cushion. Guess there are no third-party cushion replacements available, right? My fabrication skills are questionable, but I'll make something work. :)

¬ ITL

Comments

• 2" soft foam cut to the shape of the headrest. Put it UNDER the "padding" of the TT headrest, and use a bandana to hold the TT "padding" over the 2" foam and both to the metal backer. Enjoy.
  • Thank you, Jon. :)

¬ ITL
  • I suggest that the satisfaction, or dissatisfaction, with the TT head set is somewhat dependent on how it is used. My wife and I both have the TT headrests and we are thrilled with them. Neither of us use the headrest to rest our head/neck on them continuously. We have them adjusted to within 1/8" to1/4" of our normal head position. Then when we feel the need to rest the neck, there is only slight movement to the touching point, with virtually no change to our plane of vision. We place very little head weight against the head rest and therefore have no need for 2" of cushioning. For us, it would make difference between the thin padding of the TT headrest versus the 2" for the Finer Recliner.
  • I suggest that the satisfaction, or dissatisfaction, with the TT head set is somewhat dependent on how it is used. My wife and I both have the TT headrests and we are thrilled with them. Neither of us use the headrest to rest our head/neck on them continuously. We have them adjusted to within 1/8" to1/4" of our normal head position. Then when we feel the need to rest the neck, there is only slight movement to the touching point, with virtually no change to our plane of vision. We place very little head weight against the head rest and therefore have no need for 2" of cushioning. For us, it would make difference between the thin padding of the TT headrest versus the 2" for the Finer Recliner.

What position is your seat at though? @Jrobiso2 & I are laid back to the second notch from being fully laid back.

¬ ITL
  • edited July 2017
    We are both laid back to the last notch. We are as fully reclined as possible on the Sportster. In fact, when the lbs did our initial setup, we had them extend the boom further and add a few extra chain links so as to recline the seat as much as possible. My wife needs the neck rest more than I do, but, we both do use it, just not needing to press a lot of weight against it.
  • Hopefully I'll get it installed tomorrow. Going to be interesting trying to fit it without assistance. Any tips you care to offer?

¬ ITL
  • edited July 2017
    The instructions that come with the kit are pretty straight forward and easy to follow. An additional plus is that the necessary tools (Allen wrenches) are provided with the kit. The trickiest part, which took a little care was to get each part of the assembly perfectly centered. I just kept referencing (eyeballing) the tire. Symmetry and having things perfectly centered are a "thing" with me. :-). Secondly, for both my wife's and my assembly, it took a few tries finding the "sweet spot" for the position of the neck rest in relation to the neck and the base of the skull. In spite of my best efforts, I had to make a tweak or two once we were on the first ride. Once the assembly was completed, and having done a few rides, we have found the quality of materials to be very good, and the overall sturdiness of the entire assembly to be excellent. There is virtually no unwanted movement or unwanted flexing of the unit. It stays precisely in place as desired.
  • Found an issue with the Bontrager rack that the bike shop sold me when I bought the Rover. They could not condone the price of TerraTrike's rack, so he gave me a discount on the Bonrager.

Well... the Bontrager is made for 26" wheels. While it works okay and such, it does keep the load up higher than TerraTrike's rack does. Which I did not have a problem with the rack up until today when installed the headrest.

DSC01800_zps3ngyd7gh.jpg

There is not enough room between the headrest tube and the Bontrager luggage rack unless I was to remove the curl-up on the front rack tubing.
    Since I was having issues with the seat bars poking my thighs I decided to keep the seat at the third hole from the bottom instead of the second to bottom as I preferred. Then slid the seat back some to compensate for the left leg.

Rode around the park for a bit, pulling over and adjusting the tube height mostly. Think I have it where it is both comfortable and not catching on Da Brim when my head is not resting on the padding.

As fir the padding it feels okay. I have some foam I could probably stick in there to make it softer.

DSC01794_zpsaqxgldfh.jpg

TerraTrike Headrest + Low Rider Rack both installed today. :)
    IMG_20170704_154329460_zps2nqe6uxd.jpg

¬ ITL
  • Where do most people adjust their headrest to: Lower back of the head, the neck?

Guess am use to leaning my head back once in a while, flexing from side to side. There's no two position headrest setting, like push back and locks in place, then push back and a spring pushes the the headrest forward to previous setting.

Headrest is cool, don't get me wrong. Have mine adjusted to maybe half to an inch from where I normally hold my head, and have the rest at the neck/head area.
    Then wondered if the neck area only would be better, though that means more adjustments.

Not so easy to adjust by self. Tried enlisting help.

Shoulders still ache some even sitting up a notch. Took a short ride after the neighborhood fireworks and the seating felt okay, though my shoulders were like looking for some padding too I think.
    Put a common wooden seat cushion in the seat, that felt good. Everything was comfortable except the shoulders. LOL

¬ ITL
  • Removed the frontal part of the rack today. Was headed across the Snake River with a friend, and I was falling behind cause I didn't have that angle I wanted for going up an incline.
    Got home, and had fun with the hacksaw. Now can adjust the seat w/ headrest more.

I like riding on the 3rd hole as it is easier on the back of the thighs from not being poked, and is more comfortable on the arms and shoulders. But the left thigh doesn't allow me that extra oomph needed for inclines.
    2nd hole gives me the angle wanted for inclines, though the end seat post pokes the right thigh. /shrug

Was going to drill holes in the mid point of comfort verses incline angle... then seen that the more commonly used holes are staring to elongate from use. That halted those plans.

¬ ITL
  • As for your headrest and rack issue, I have now seen two TerraTrike trikes with headrests and the lower tube (that would normally make contact with the rack), if fully, or nearly fully, reclined, cut off to about 50% compared to TT original. It might be worth considering if you find you miss the more reclined position.
  • Removed the frontal part of the rack today. Was headed across the Snake River with a friend, and I was falling behind cause I didn't have that angle I wanted for going up an incline.
    Got home, and had fun with the hacksaw. Now can adjust the seat w/ headrest more.

I like riding on the 3rd hole as it is easier on the back of the thighs from not being poked, and is more comfortable on the arms and shoulders. But the left thigh doesn't allow me that extra oomph needed for inclines.
    2nd hole gives me the angle wanted for inclines, though the end seat post pokes the right thigh. /shrug

Was going to drill holes in the mid point of comfort verses incline angle... then seen that the more commonly used holes are staring to elongate from use. That halted those plans.

may want to figure out the best setting and bolt those seat supports and stop elongating those tube holes.
  • edited July 2017
    Think it's more of the bouncing over uneven terrain causing that elongation issue. Idaho doesn't know what smooth means. Oregon either for that matter, their roads & sidewalks are far worse off.

I should record a video of how bad the bike path areas are... maybe start a fad about which city has the worse riding conditions. LOL

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to put a recoil spring inside the seat adjuster tubes? Have a plunger that is wide enough to slide inside & against the adjuster arm. Maybe have a metal bar end to stick on the inside tube. Then get a spring to act as a shock absorber that fits inside.
    If anyone does that let me know what you've used, and that might extend the life of the adjuster holes.

¬ ITL
  • Anyone else find their headrest likes to slowly move upward just to about the base of the skull, like it has a mind of its own? Had set mine to the back of the neck a few times, but it seems to slide back up after the ride - which I don't notice it till the next ride.

¬ ITL
  • Sorry, but, ours stay put.
  • The headrests in my car do that. I don't have one on my trike.
  • Mine stays put as well.