Is there an advantage to the 24 inch wheels of the all terrain vs. the 20 inch wheels of a Rambler?

I plan to stay mostly on pavement. Is the regular rambler speedier? Thanks in advance for any replys>

Comments

• 24" raises all your gearing, makes climbing hills more difficult, but faster on the level ground.
  • And you gain 2 inches of height, and raising the center of gravity.

¬ ITL
  • yes. 24-inch wheels increase pedal clearance from the road surface. they can also make it considerably easier to get in and out of the trike.

the rambler is a good-knee flatland pavement cruiser. the AT may share the same name but its 24-inch rear wheel is geared significantly lower than the 20-inch version for those with bad knees, serious hills to climb, or trailers to haul.

the regular rambler is speedier than the AT. doing 60 rpm in top gear, rambler x-24 16 mph, AT 14 mph.
  • Balloon tires on the 24" wheels make for a much softer ride.

Personally, I upgraded my Rover to 24" wheels and tires to be able to get in and out of it. I also wanted to be seen better. I feel like you could get run over on those low riders and the driver would never see you!
  • Was almost hit going to church last Saturday, and the woman driver did see me - she waved as she passed within two feet of me with a child in the passenger seat. Was half way across the marked crosswalk in a 25 MPH zone.

4 flags, flashing light, bright colors - but she was too impatient. I hit the brakes & AirZound. Thought the GoPro was running, but it was turned off. Lucky for her; would of gotten her license plate and filed a report against an aggressive driver.
    And this in a quiet town, no traffic.

¬ ITL
  • On less than perfect roads, 24" tires the ride is much smoother. The side wall says 30-55 psi. I inflate them to 45 psi and enjoy the ride. Gordon_O
  • I usually go up to 50 psi. It makes for a much nicer ride on these bumpy paved roads. Most have more rock showing than asphalt.
  • So which is better/easier on knees?
  • Either can be easy on the knees. It all depends on how the gearing is setup, your personal human motor, and on how you ride. There is NO substitute for actually sitting in a trike and trying it out. Any trike will be easy on the knees if you keep a cadence approaching 90. Any trike that you attempt to ride fast without exceeding a cadence 30, will be hard on the knees.

"Better" is an esoteric term. It means something different to everyone. Easiest on the knees would probably be an electric assist trike with 16" or 20" wheels, geared low, and ridden with a high cadence. But until you sit on a given trike and ride it, it's all a crap shoot. Bite the bullet and either take a stab in the dark with all you have gleaned and buy one, or go to a trike shop and test ride a few different trikes. The worse you can do is to get a trike that isn't ideal for you, that you can make changes so that it is better suited to you. If you can't live with the trike you decide upon, you can sell it. You live and learn that way, and you grow in the process. But the key word in all this is YOU.
  • prior to a few months ago, easiest on knees would have been a 20-inch rear wheel. the All Terrain has changed that by departing from industry standard and substantially lowering gearing. a raised seat definitely helps the bad-knee folks exit the trike when compared to 20-inch placement.

i dont see demo rides having much value unless you are pointed to a hill or a steep driveway. a trip up a hill with a standard trike [any make] then the same trip made on an All-Terrain will give you a notion of what easy on the knees translates to.

once upon with bone-on-bone knees and a rover with a nexus-8 rear hub, ouch on long hills. Peter_C suggestion of using the 22 teeth ring of a lasco mtb triple made nice difference. even nicer difference becoming acquainted with the snapring from hell and raising the nexus drive sprocket from 16 to 24 teeth.

i put 24-inch wheels up front to increase pedal clearance and make the trike very easy to get out of. would have been a lot simpler to achieve ride comfort with a rambler All-Terrain had they been available.

these days, back to rover with 20-inch wheels up front, 2-speed patterson crankset, and a nexus-8 hub in a 16-inch wheel for lower roll-center and even lower gearing than the All-Terrain.

been playing with some delta trikes lately. derailleur types so 13 g.i. is my practical low end. doesnt hurt to climb hills these days that setting, but took the rover out for an airing this afternoon, climbed same hills at 10 g.i. and rediscovered easier on the knees once again.
  • edited July 2017
    If there is a different set up you want to try, Jamesr is the expert. He's already tried them all!

You have to take into account the terrain and the type of road also. I used to ride in SW Florida on flat sealed blacktop roads or concrete sidewalks. Those were easy. Now I am on blacktop roads with more rock than blacktop. There are short but steep hills. Thank goodness I have the Patterson crank up front. My other option is to go ride on the island and endure cross winds.

Are you going to stay home or ride in many locations. If you plan to travel with the trike, make it versatile!
  • At home I have a great paved trail to ride but it does have some areas raised by tree roots. Also some of the roads are not paved and have potholes and speed bumps. I do take the Traveler in the RV and ride around campgrounds as well as on trails such as the Great Allegany Passage. This can be a mixed bag of paved and non-paved. At home the terrain is all flat. The Traveler has been great but I am wanting a higher seat due to the bad knees. The shop where I bought the Traveler tells me they can build up the seat and I will be talking in person to the shop owner. I am intrigued by the All Terrain and the Greenspeed Magnum and want to see both of them. I am heading to Greenville, SC, in two weeks for the eclipse and the Swamp Rabbit Trail. There is a bike shop there that sells the Greenspeed Magnum so I hope there is one to try.

• @Saildogs - re: previous post, rover seat height at 16.5, rambler and traveler at 15.5 inches.

have had the 24s up front on both rover and rambler, same ease of getting up and out. as it turns out, just putting 22 inch wheels on the rambler el cheapo style using kenda flame 20x3 low pressure tires worked as well [$50 vs. $400].

so did keeping 20s up front and raising the nose with a 16-inch wheel in back [$300]. if you install schwalbe big apple plus tires they add close to 3/4 inch to seat height.

just looking at the folding video seems like 24s on the front of the traveler would work keeping a 20-inch rear for a lower roll center. if the traveler fits you well, replacing your triple with something like a lasco mtb crankset 22-32-44 would drop your present 19-90 gear-inches to 14-75 g.i. which roughly translates to 25% less effort going up hills.

if you get a chance to ride both magnum and all terrain, please post your impressions. just going from spec, my humble, think greenspeed is indulging in fantasy talking magnum as an all terrain trike.
  • Greenspeed Magnum & Magnum XL are the same price of you go that route. XL is rated at 500# capacity. Greenspeed requires a lot more maintenance. Magnum XL is also taller and wider, but I'd still like to give one a whirl. $3800 though, eeek!

¬ ITL
  • get enough change back to mount 24-inch front wheels if you got a rambler-evo instead
  • You've given me so much information my head is spinning! LOL I hope I get the chance to ride both trikes and if so, I will certainly let you know my impression of each. I am a novice at this and am learning every day and thank you so much for all the explanations!
  • Stay away from any Azub trikes you find, especially the full suspension one. The cost on them is killer. ;)

¬ ITL