Brand New to Trikes.........any help would be greatly appreciated

My Wife (47) and me (52) are within five years of both retiring from pretty stressful jobs, both in Law Enforcement. We are best friends and do a lot of stuff together. We raised 3 wonderful Daughters, and can't wait to spend more time with them and their families. Our main hobby right now is Golf and spending time with our kids/grand kids when we are not at work. Looking down the road we wanted to start doing things that we thought we would like in retirement. We purchased a bumper pull Camper last summer after owning a truck camper for a year. We had never done any camping at all, and we fell in love with it. Only being able to do it on vacations right now, but we plan on doing lots more in the future. We moved up to a bigger camper because our kids seem to want to go with us every time we go! We are always looking for things to do outside and to keep us in good shape. I am at a point in my life that I have to do something or my health is going to suffer permanently. We both have been pretty athletic all our lives and love doing sports of any kind. My Wife has done a much better job of staying fit than me. She is 5'4" and about 150. I am 6'2" and about 285. It is getting to be a battle for both of us to keep the pounds off. More so for me!

Anyway, long story short, I stumbled upon these Trikes and we are thinking of seriously taking the plunge. I have always like to ride Bikes, but as I got older, I just couldn't handle the seat, so I gave up. I have a recumbent schwinn exercise bike that I do sometimes use, but you know how that goes. It's more of a cloths hanger than anything else. I have spent a lot of time reading online and especially this great site and learned a lot about Trikes. We think they would be great to take camping with us, as we like to explore the campgrounds we stay at. We also think they would be some great exercise for us on a week to week basis. My mind is kind a blur right now with so many options out there. I was surprised at the prices at first, but I guess I shouldn't be. Heck our Golf Clubs cost almost as much! We really have no idea where to start, obviously I am going to need something that can handle my size and weight. Sounds like this x-seam measurement is pretty important also. We live in a small town in SW Missouri, so no dealers are very close. I did find a couple in the Kansas City/Overland Park area that we plan on visiting. Also an interesting Bike shop in Siloam Springs Arkansas called Dogwood Junction. I think we might just take a trip up and try out the various types. From my research so far, Terratrike seems like a very popular brand. I spent a lot of time on this site and loved reading about how the business began. We don't know anything about how they handle compared to two wheel bikes, all the different equipment, or really anything like that, but we do know they will be much more comfortable to sit in!

I would love to hear some suggestions on some good starter Trikes that would fit what we need. We have no idea on special equipment or really anything, so thoughts and suggestions there would be appreciated also. If you could recommend a place to buy, that would be great also. I am very intrigued by the Dogwood Junction place in Siloam Springs, Arkansas and it's only a few hours away. I would say we will be riding ours for exercise mostly and of course taking them camping with us to explore the campgrounds and area. If we like it, I could see us doing some longer rides on bike trails for sure. We probably won't get off road too much, but may be on some gravel/dirt roads. I like what I read about the "all terrain" as many campsites don't have paved roads to ride on. How does a non all terrain handle just your basic gravel/dirt trail? Of course hills will be in the picture also, so don't know if we need electric assist or not. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advise, love this site and I am sure I will love your product. Your back story makes me just want to buy from a business like you have. Thanks again, Mitch Bush (podunker)

• Rover, Rover, Rover. It will hold your weight, is very comfortable, least expensive on the market, and the best starter trike. But, it only has 8 speeds and you have a lot of hills in your area (I grew in Missouri and traveled the state extensively). You might need to consider a 24-speed model. All Terra Trikes handle at least 300 lbs. You could also add an multi-gear crank later.

We used to have a poster who lived in NW Arkansas and I believe he used the dealer you mentioned. Hope he posts on here to let you know how the dealer was.

I too had a very stressful job in DC. My weight kept climbing and my health was worsening. I bought my Rover in 2014 then retired in 2015. I haven't seen the weight loss others have but, as a male, you will. My BP is back to normal, the heart is working better, and I have kept from becoming a full blown diabetic. I credit all of that to getting on that trike and riding at least twice a week.

Go to Trail Link and look at the many trails in Missouri and NW Arkansas. You may have to travel a little but you already have the camper. The Katy Trail sounds awesome!

Let us know what you decide.
  • Didn't stumble onto trikes until I was 71. Same issues as you. Knew nothing and floundered around trying to sort out the info. Fish or cut bait! Took the plunge on a Rover. Never looked back. Here's my story.
  • a test ride around the dealer parking lot leaves a lot to be desired. if you can find an agreeable dealer with a rambler all-terrain, take it up the steepest hill or driveway available. you wont find any other trike that can match its climbing ability.

half the price, rover is a bulletproof most bang for the buck kinda beast, excellent starter trike. restricted to narrow range of gearing but quite cost-effective to upgrade to respond to your riding environment if you buy the i8 model.

used to do summer camping with the kids at the state parks. a trike to tour those areas after pitching the tent would have been icing on the cake.
  • I Bought my Rover sight unseen when I was 69. Been riding it ever since.
  • A couple weeks ago I was exactly in the same boat you are in contemplating the purchase of a trike. I thought that was a lot of money for a trike but look at the benefits from getting it. I had the same issues with my Trek bicycle started getting numbness in my wrist and hand and pain. I ride every day for an hour about 12 miles a day. No more pain on the trike because it is basically the most ergonomically correct position you can be in. Only had the trike about 2 weeks and love every minute of it. 128 miles put on it and already lost 10 lbs. Like you I weighed 295 and I'm 6' 4". Very stable and plenty of room. Never going back to riding the bike again.
  • My wife and I are both in our seventies and got our trikes in 2013. We have been very happy with them. We mostly ride in the neighborhood, but have taken them to Texas to ride in the tour de cure at the Texas motor speedway. I don't think you can go wrong with the Tera Trike trikes. My only regret is they did not have the traveler when we purchased our trikes. If they had, we would have gotten that model. We have ramblers with the Nexus internal gears.
  • Took the Rover down the Wesier River Trail, none of it was paved till the last half a mile. Will go back, and this time at my leisure - as had to work that evening yet.

Long version:

Short Version:

Handled very well, no issues, though this was mostly downhill for approximately 30 miles.
  • You have probably seen the comments ride, ride, ride. The trike for you will find you. I was looking hard at Catrike and a test ride brought me to TT and I was looking at the Rover but was wanting something a little less stiff. I am 6'2, 275. I decided on the Rambler All Road and started to save my money, then it was discontinued only to be replaced by the All Terrain which actually was even more perfect for how my wife and I ride. I could not be more pleased with my purchase. I got mine on 5/30 and now have nearly 650 miles on mine. I do not do any road riding and keep to bike paths and rails to trails. I had to travel 4 hours to make my purchase and would not recommend the bike shop that I purchased it from, they just happened to be the only one with it and I just couldn't wait. My local Tech is the best I've seen and he loves everything about my RAT, and he doesn't sell trikes. I'm trying to change that.
  • Thanks everyone for the responses. Looks like I'm on the right track!
  • edited August 2017
    No two people are the same. No two trikes are the same. One person's Cadillac might be another person's Yugo!

So, it is good to find a bike shop that provides for in depth demo rides. The first order of business when my wife and I began to think about recumbent trikes was to talk to the bike shop with whom we had done business for thirty years, during which time we had purchased at least a dozen bikes. We were told recumbent trikes were a "passing fad." So, we started our research and ultimately found a shop about an hour from our home that is, first of all, very experienced in trikes, and secondly, allows demo rides that are much more than a "ride around the parking lot." We spent five hours one day riding several different models on a trail that borders the shop property. That was then how we settled on our choice of purchase.

The in depth demo rides were of such value to us that, with our experience, I would not make a trike purchase decision without, even if I had to drive several hours to find a shop that is accommodating.
  • Bought a new Rover i8 IGH with 26" rear wheel yesterday from Sun Cyclery in Phoenix,Az. Fantastic service. They spent a lot of time fitting it to me. When I told Josh what I wanted we walked a few steps and there was my baby all tricked out! First one I had ever seen in the flesh. He told me how to get on it and after a few adjustments, I rode around in the parking lot. Absolutely fantastic.
    I am 76, lower back surgery, both rotator cuffs repaired, one a 100% tear and left knee scoped twice, right knee once.

Rode it on maiden trip this morning:3.36 miles, average speed 6.3, 32 minutes, max speed 12.3, according to my wireless Cateye Patrone computer. I could have gone longer but didn't want to wear out my welcome on the first day. Wanted to go this afternoon, but too hot and not a good plan.
    Ride: very acceptable. Steering: instant without being overly sensitive. Braking: excellent. Double rear view mirrors:great. Gear shifting: near automatic without even thinking about it. When a different gear was need just shifted. No big grades or dips on our residential roads.

I am ecstatic with my new trike. Probably would like a Rambler even more if I could afford one. Any Cat was out if the question.

If you are looking for a trike anywhere near Phoenix, Sun Cyclery is the place to go. They were very highly recommended to me and Sun met all my needs very well.
  • I highly recommend Dogwood Junction. I bought the Terra Trike Rambler EVO yesterday. I travel all over the state of Arkansas for my job and had looked around for a trike dealer. Dogwood Junction is the only one in Arkansas. I went to Siloam Springs for a meeting and stopped in to look at trikes. The owner, Ben, spent time with me and let me try some different trikes. He has a track in the store that you can take test rides. I took a day off yesterday and drove to Siloam Springs (4 hours for me) to get my trike and when I got there Ben was working on it. It has the electric assist and when I first rode it something was wrong so Ben kept diligently working on it. Anyway I had to drive back home so he kept the bike and is still working on it and he is going to bring it to me. Everyone there was so nice and accommodating. I will continue to do business at Dogwood Junction. Please go there to look at trikes you won't regret it. I am also new to trikes. I have had 2 knee replacements and can't ride a regular bike so I did some research on bikes people ride who have bad knees. I am pretty excited to start riding my Terra Trike Rambler.
  • Ben and Dogwood Junction is a GREAT dealer for us. Ben is a smart and dedicated owner with top notch customer service. I am intimately familiar with your EVO and why he kept it another day. Rest assured we will get it fixed and ready to ride today. You're going to LOVE it!
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • chonk wrote: »
    Ben and Dogwood Junction is a GREAT dealer for us. Ben is a smart and dedicated owner with top notch customer service. I am intimately familiar with your EVO and why he kept it another day. Rest assured we will get it fixed and ready to ride today. You're going to LOVE it!

Bought my first trike from Ben, a Rambler GT, about a year and a half ago. Then later I bought a Catrike 559 and finally a Catrike Dumont. He stocks all kinds of accessories and keeps a good stock of trikes to test ride on the inside track or around the parking lot.

Once a year he sponsors a group ride and trike rodeo to coincide with Siloam's Dogwood Festival. Did I mention the good customer service? But, alas, I can no longer take my trike to his shop. I'm 1,200 miles away in Arizona now. :|
  • Not knowing how close you are to St Louis or if you visit the area, the Bike Center is a one of TerraTrike's Premiere Dealers. They generally have a good selection of TT trikes on hand and are very knowledgeable in the product. My wife bought her Rambler from the Bike Center and they are actually performing an overhaul on my Path as I type this.