Wheel bolts

Those 8 mm head ones. One goes left. One goes right. According to TT Uni, blue threadlocker was used to keep them on. Well I can’t budge them. Right side I tried last night. Used an
item with several hex’s on it. One would think it would break free. Should I try a socket drive next? Some how heat it??

Comments

• Ever heard of a hammer screwdriver? I've got one that's as fat as the base of my thumb, with changeable heads. Set the desired movement direction (clockwise or counter), set the bit into the thing to be moved, and hit the head with a hammer (start lightly). The hammer hit moves the bit in the desired direction AND ensures the bit doesn't slip. Darn thing can move just about any rotating connector.
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    Ever heard of a hammer screwdriver? I've got one that's as fat as the base of my thumb, with changeable heads. Set the desired movement direction (clockwise or counter), set the bit into the thing to be moved, and hit the head with a hammer (start lightly). The hammer hit moves the bit in the desired direction AND ensures the bit doesn't slip. Darn thing can move just about any rotating connector.

One of the better inventions. Mine must be 40 years old, goes back to motorcycle days.
    ed
  • Actually I think I have one of those. Bought it for the outboard.
    Lower lube drain screw. Thanks.
  • Harbor Freight is where I bought my impact screwdriver. 6 bits included, 3 Phillips tips and 3 reg flat head bits. What do you think are my chances to find an 8 mm hex tip to fit it are? :/
  • Whoa!! Which model trike. On a Rover the wheel nuts are both right hand thread!!
  • I just saw that on TT univ video. I have a 2013 Rover silver paint. Was wondering if it has the quick axle that gets threaded in or the fixed axle from the factory. They thread differently. My older Trike would think both sides are lefty loosey.
  • Finally. Got the right cap off with help from impact driver. Surprised there was as little blue threadlocker as I found. Only covered half the circumference of the bolt. 1/4” wide swath too. Now converting newton meters to ft lbs. :o
  • 17.7 ft lbs= 24 newton meters. Class dismissed. Think spring.
  • edited January 19
    Finn59 wrote: »
    Those 8 mm head ones. One goes left. One goes right. According to TT Uni, blue threadlocker was used to keep them on. Well I can’t budge them. Right side I tried last night. Used an
    item with several hex’s on it. One would think it would break free. Should I try a socket drive next? Some how heat it??

Not sure which year or model you have but the RAT {Rambler all terrain} the right wheel IS "REGULAR THREAD", Righty Tighty. The Left side is left hand thread, so "Lefty Tighty". In the video instructions and the owner's pamphlet it says to lightly grease the spindles before putting thru the hubs to tighten them. The spindle heads have an arrow with the direction to turn it to tighten that wheel spindle.bo5wi38x1qhi.jpg
    7adidekpjkzx.jpg
  • Mine are smooth. No markings whatsoever. 2013 Rover.
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Mine are smooth. No markings whatsoever. 2013 Rover.

Were both right hand thread? Or was the left side left hand thread? Just curious. You cold get a 3/8' drive socket with an 8mm Allen wrench and use a ratchet or breaker bar for more leverage to remove them. Glad you got them loose.
  • Going to da Depot to get that 3/8” 8mm so I have it
    for the torque wrench after I regrease the bearings.
  • Finn
    Did greasing the bearings smooth out the rotation completely? Curious.
  • Have not done it yet. Trike is on exerciser. Haven’t tried to loosen left side as it is tight to wall. Feeling under weather today. Wife has had hacking cough for two weeks now. So far I have avoided getting it.....
  • I want to grease bearings. I have some blue stuph I use in boat trailer bearings. Its’ name eludes me...thinking of ordering new chain and brake cables during the white season as well. The Trike is 5 years young. These have prob never been looked at. But there has not been a lot of miles put on this ride according to the last owner.
  • I think it is a blue Amsoil water resistant grease I use for boat trailer bearings.