Rack I built

124»

Comments

• It will stick out 3’ from your bumper. You won’t see it driving. I put a short pce of orange driveway marker in top of seat hole to show me Trike hasn’t fallen off. You’ll need to pull thru a parking lot spot so rack is abused by shopping carts and texting teenagers. Unless you
    get a fold up hitch accessory.
  • Bought some square alum stock at a trailer place today. They make trailers and carriers out of it. 1/8 & 1/4” thick. Am going to try the 1/8 for our 2nd carrier. Easier to drill thru. Rated for
    500 lbs he said. I will find out.
  • Here’s the 2nd rack I built. All aluminum. Channels are 1”x2”. Have not loaded Rover on it yet. 5/16” U bolts. Maybe some stringers between
    and under the channels to beef it up...
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Here’s the 2nd rack I built. All aluminum. Channels are 1”x2”. Have not loaded Rover on it yet. 5/16” U bolts. Maybe some stringers between

Can't wait to see the finished rack with a trike on it!
  • Me too!
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Here’s the 2nd rack I built. All aluminum. Channels are 1”x2”. Have not loaded Rover on it yet. 5/16” U bolts. Maybe some stringers between

Can't wait to see the finished rack with a trike on it!
  • Well here it is. Bounces by hand. Going to drive with it on for a few to see how long it takes before I am dragging it behind da Fjord. It does hang out about a foot further due to using that pivoting hitch.
  • That's going to need some strong straps. I'm wondering if vertical blocks at the tires wouldn't help ensure it doesn't slide off sideways, regardless of straps?
  • Slide the center rail to the right. Need serious straps to keep it in those channels. Good idea.
  • Have one ratchet strap over seat and under all three channels. Thinking about using steel tube to replace aluminum. We will use a carrier within 20 miles of home. If going north we will use utility trailer. Channels are 1” high. Next one I will cut just one side off of aluminum square stock to leave it at 2 x 2. Peace of mind.
  • Very nice!!
  • I can't imagine needing a trike rack with a pickup!? Why not just put the trike in the back? I've seen an F150 with two trikes in the back. The guy used a come-along to move the trikes in and out initially before installing an inexpensive 12v winch in the back. Works really well.
  • Too high for me to lift anymore. Have a hard cap on that that I use to slide trike under after I laid the seat back. Still didn’t close entirely. Wheels stuck out
    onto tailgate.
  • I did some searching and there are some racks that slide into the hitch receiver that are probably wide enough to hold most trikes. I know I saw a 32" wide rack and most T.T. trikes have a 31" front wheel track.
  • My 2013 Rover is 29 1/2” center to center on the fronts. Going to ride with Vicki tomorrow and it will be the first time for that rack on her Windstar. And it is low. It may bottom out. Two ratchets on Trike Monday. :p
  • https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-aluminum-cargo-carrier-with-ramp-60-x-32?a=1935505

This would be what I'd get if I were unable to load a trike or bike into a vehicle.
  • Impressive. How in the world can a manufacturer assemble all those pieces and resell it for $233??
    Would love to have something like this for Rover Tandem ... would have about 18" hanging out each side, I guess :-)
  • Priced before the Trump Tariff. Watch out.