SWEET

edited October 2011 in Rover
Took the Rover out for the first ride today, earlier I installed Egg Beaters pedals, water bottle cage, and storage on the of the seat, also the Stars and Stripes and orange warning flag. Windy as heck here today, one hill I could barely coast down, the wind was strong enough to hold me back. What a sweet ride, I see a lot of miles on this trike. Still have to learn to pause to shift, but that will come quickly. Got off many times to adjust the seat till I got it where I wanted it. Plus the back rest. This is a fast trike, and the few small hills I did climb, feels like it will be a good climber. Next few days I will tackle THE HILL and see what I can do.
Ya all be safe out there.
Bill

Comments

• Congratulations on your new Rover.
  • Sounds like you're having fun!

But, I must warn you that you are wrong! According to the masses, you have a slow trike, that is no good for hills, and it's ugly too!

Hehe - guess that's why I love my Rover, but, I'm weird too... :ugeek:
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Don't forget, Bill, we need pictures around here... ;)

Caryl
  • Ya, I know about the wierd stuff, my wife of 46 years, says "You are WIERD!!!!!", my answer to her, I know that, but I accept it, so its ok!!!!!!!lololol, maybe people think its ugly because they are jealous. I got a good ride in yesterday, and being only 3rd ride, I am really like this trike. The weather here just south of STL, today is going to be another perfect day to ride. I will be out there. Had to loosen the straps on the seat fabric, so I could sit into the fram a little, more comfortable for me. Still doing some minor adjustments, to suit me. I see a lot of really good riding miles on this trike. I am getting some nice comments with the people who stop me to ask about it. I can't get the smile off, THAT IS GOOD.
  • I tried to post some pics, but I guess I did something wrong.
    Will try again later.
    Bill
  • Am on a ride right now. Taking a break and sipping a soda in the sun. It's chilly at 44 degrees, but am happy to be riding.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Its 74 here in Crystal City, MO, a great day for a ride, I didn't get to excited out there today, just a putz ride, just enjoy being out. I'm not a bike freak yet, but heading in that direction. If I put the 26" wheel on the back of the Rover 8, I should get a higher top speed, CORRECT? What effect will it have on the lower end, will it help with hill climbing, or will it hurt hill climbing?
    So much to learn, but OH SO MUCH FUN.
    Bill
  • Swapping to a bigger wheel will make your lowest gear feel almost like third gear.

Going to a bigger wheel is (IMHO) a total waste of $$$. You can get taller gears cheaper, and not lose your low gears.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Hi Peter, thanks for the come back. I guess to get more gears, I would have to put a couple of chain rings on the crank. Correct? If I remember correctly, Utah Trikes make a kit with 2 chain rings, am I heading in the right direction. Probably what I need to do, is ride the trike for 6 months and then decide if I want to do some tinkering. GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZ, I had the trike for 5 days and already I want to tinker, I have to stop that. Give the trike a chance.
    You have a great week.
    Bill
  • For those of us who ride paved rural trails with gravel road crossings, I think that the 26 inch wheel is a must because I am only getting 2 fingers width of clearance between my derailleur and the gravel and that is not enough when the gravel and dirt is loose and deep. It also keeps me from older unpaved trails, like the Heart of Iowa Nature Trail. I am glad to see that they finished the last of the bridges and paved one of the sections, but they have a long way to go before they start attracting the riders like the neighboring High Trestle Trail which is completely paved, including all of the gravel road crossings. I am looking forward to being able to upgrade to the larger wheel, some of the new stiff fenders and some high pressure tires, probably next Spring. I got left behind this afternoon by another Terratrike rider who has the high pressure tires.
  • Hehe - welcome to my world!

Most folks find the low is not low enough, and as you are not in that group, consider yourself blessed.

A few things to keep in mind and consider? *Why*, are you searching for taller gears? is it because you're a 'masher', and you want bigger gears to mash (hard on the knees, may not be sustainable), or, is it because you are a 'spinner', and you are running out of gears at 80-90RPM? (which would be 20+MPH) ~

I am not sure how new you are to biking/triking in general? Have you learned about spinning? And that generally speaking, pedaling under 60-70RPM most of the time creates a *lot* of pressure on the knees? Granted, not everyone has these issues, but many find that sore knees are common, and in time, it can become a crippling issue. Learning to use a good 'cadence' actually can extend both your riding time, and in many cases, average speed. If you already know all of this, I apologize in advance for my rambling...
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Hey Peter keep the info coming.
    Bill