Anticipation

Today is my wife's birthday, and also the day we will take our first trike ride together. It's a beautiful summer day here in upstate NY.

I've owned a Rambler since May, and just found a used Rover to purchase earlier this week. My wife has enjoyed taking the Rambler for a spin around the block, but today will be her first time on the Rover. (It's not really a birthday present, but the timing is serendipitous.). I'm hoping this is a good experience - I would so love for this to be an activity we both enjoy.

My wife is not a fan of the color orange, so she seems to prefer the Rover to the Rambler on aesthetic grounds. But if she enjoys triking, I may have to see if I can find one of the old green Ramblers.

On a side note, does anyone else think it is strange to name something to be marketed to boomers "Rambler"? I think the Terratrike staff must be too young to remember the low-budget, low-quality automobile of the 1960's. I remember - not fondly - my family's 1963 Rambler station wagon with the push-button transmission. I like my Rambler trike more every day than I liked that car any day.

I'll let you know about our experience today on the bike path. Happy riding to all of you!

Ken

Comments

• I owned a 1962 Rambler Cross Country Wagon in the early 1980s. I was a geologist and used it as a field truck.
    Powertrain was a straight-six with three in the tree plus an electrically triggered overdrive.
    It cost me $300 and I drove it about 40,000 miles and it only got stuck in the rough once-a D9 bulldozer had to push me out. Prior to that I had replaced the bumpers with 2x12s to provide abuse-proof hard points for equipment, tow points and push points. More precisely, the planks could get abused to death, and I just had to spend $10 to replace them

All my colleagues had 4-wheel drive pickups, jeeps, and similar manly toys and they were forever getting stuck in the rough.

Sadly, one day I was traveling down road and the unibody cracked in half and the driveshaft broke free. The car's nose was headed east, the tail end was headed south and the driveshaft swung out to the north. I ended up selling the poor sad beast to a restorer for $125.
  • My images are happier ones, more keenly in tune with Mr. Webster's view of things. He says both are mostly intransitive verbs..
    ramble
    a : to move aimlessly from place to place
    b : to explore idly
    rove
    : to move aimlessly

Now, isn't that better?
    Those are me best days of all. The ones I go out "a-driftin", as Mr. Belafonte used to say.
  • My wife and I had a good ride today on the Mohawk-Hudson bike path. We weren't speed demons by any means, and our distance was just over 5 miles. But it was fun for her, and fun for me, too, so there will probably be another ride next weekend (poor dear still has to work during the week).

Ken