SPD Platform Pedals?

edited May 14 in Rover
Had seen that @Lilypad uses a platform pedal that he clips into, yet appears that the platform sets under his shoes offering more support. This type looks to pivot between the forefoot and the back of the foot pad. Am thinking this would be easier on the foot for clipless pedal systems.

Does anyone have recommendations of which SPD Platform pedals they prefer? Am seriously considering switching to a pair as the egg beater type seems to cause discomfort off and on, and over certain terrain. Still prefer clipless pedals as I get more power on the push & pull, and not once had an accidental issue of the feet coming off the pedals.

Comments

• Shimano A530 (NOT 520) seems to provide a bit better support that purely double-sided clips. I have a set of double-clips, and the A530 (one side clip, one side regular).
    I would think that egg beaters would provide almost no support other than the connection point.
  • edited May 14
    I have the A530 model on my mountain bike and 520 0n the trike, like them both.
  • The best thing I did was to switch to SPD pedals. No more worrying about feet slipping off the pedals. I realized how much energy and concentration I used to prevent that from happening. That meant a lot of effort and wasted energy was being used to hold my legs up and my feet in place while riding. I was now more relaxed and free to concentrate on pushing the pedals. In other words, maximum power transfer. Thus I had more relaxed, enjoyable riding and fun for me. Wa-hoo :p

I have no fear of being trapped by the pedals if I were to go over because there is a tension spring in the pedals that can be tightened or loosened to suit the rider (I've gone over once and my feet popped free). I think one needs to experiment and choose what's best for them. I can see other considerations about SPDs such as the ability to twist the shoe loose from the pedal or the ability to lift the leg and apply sufficient power when clipping into the pedals. Everyone is different.

I did not feel safe and/or comfortable with heel slings. I chose not to use them. I did not like power grips because they squeezed my diabetic feet impeding circulation. Ultimately I chose SPDs.

To address IdahoTrailLizard... My Catrike came with Well-Go SPD pedals (clip on one side, flat on the other). I'm inclined to think that having the flat structure behind the clip section does give more comfort and support to the feet and ankles especially in the reclined position.

I found a pair of Shimano shoes (wide enough) that I can walk in when necessary. I had a devil of a time finding a pair wide enough for my feet, but Shimano makes or did make them. I found them online from REI and they were a closeout item! I lucked out.
  • There also is a move by many riders where they are moving the clip on the shoe from the ball of the foot to more in the middle of the sole. It's a relatively simple mod. that can be done on most shoes. Go to the Recumbent One F.B. page where this is discussed.
    ed
  • Crank Brothers Double Shots. One side is platform and the other side is clipped. The cleats us the SPD two hole mount. So on the clipped side you are still getting the support of the platform. This is what I put on my Traveler.
  • I have Well-Go SPDs on the Rover and Shimano mountain bike shoes. The shoes have a slotted sole that allows you to move the clip forwards and backwards on your sole. My LBS has put mine about under the ball of my foot and I've not found that to be a problem. I think that position works my calves more than mashing down on my arches would (kinda like peddling on tippy toes instead of stomping around flat footed).
    YMMV.
  • Here's what some riders are doing to get a more comfortable shoe, clip and pedal relationship. Seems to help some riders with hot foot and also provide a more efficient pedal stroke.
    i1hg5o6weel3.jpg
  • There's a guy on FB who does these shoe mods for folks. Can't recall the name right now . . .
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    There's a guy on FB who does these shoe mods for folks. Can't recall the name right now . . .

Bill Barre, he runs the Recumbent One F.B. page. The mode is simple to do if you're working with a mountain bike type shoe.
  • It may be simple, but I'm hesitant to take an exacto knife to my $120 shoes to "see if I can do it".
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    It may be simple, but I'm hesitant to take an exacto knife to my $120 shoes to "see if I can do it".

Faster using a router. :)
  • Ordered some Origin8 pedals from an LBS.

Almost went with some Crank Brothers Mallet 2's, but then the LBS showed me these which looked more flat with the clipless.

Crank Brothers Mallet 2
    jnilzs2l51ug.jpg

Origin8 Fiend Fiend All-Mountain Double Clipless
    w6ioxi2xd4nr.jpg

Crank Brothers clipless have only one setting on tension, whereas the Origin8 have a more adjustments.
    Don't care for Shimano since it only gives toe support on its platform. I wanted both toe and mid-foot.
  • Experiment with the tension settings. You want to be able to slightly rotate your foot without releasing.
  • edited May 17
    Aye. Have egg beaters on, which were not giving me the foot support I was wanting. Clipless gives more energy, and peace of mind from leg-suck.

Not once had my feet come off the pedals since going clipless a year ago. I ride over a lot of weird surfaces, bumps, dips. Now if there was only a clipless option for my butt/back too. LOL

Would say that the pad that @Jrobiso2 suggested does help a lot. Until is squishes down from weight/heat it makes a person feel like they are setting higher. Once squished not had much bum movement. Now to work on the curved area behind the back next.

Stuffed a granny cushion in there one the way back from getting the new seat cushion from UPS and it seems to help a lot. If there was an option of a back cushion that attached to the outside of the seat, that might be worth acquiring. :smile:
  • IdahoTrailLizard, how often did your feet fall off the pedals before changing to clipless pedals?

I have the Standard Platform Pedals with the nobs that stick up. I use soft-soled shoes with ridges on them with those pedals and they hold my feet in place. I also pedal with my toes extended which keeps my feet parallel to the ground. When your feet are perpendicular to the ground, you could have a problem with them falling off.
  • Had a few issues using the stock velcro heel sleeves, more of going over bumps, gaps, roots, weird surfaces. Most of those issues were with the feet coming loose in an upward motion. So pedal traction was not an issue.

Since going clipless I've not had an issue of my feet coming off the pedals unintentionally - ever.
  • Ok, I don't ride on that kind of terrain.
  • <- Urban town rider
  • I was going downhill and ‘hit’ a bridge doing 14 mph yesterday. The wooden bridge’s edge was not flush with path. It was up an inch. That is quite the jolt. I have heel straps from TT and toe clips
    from LBS to keep feet in place.
  • Platform Clipless is a world of difference from standard Egg Beaters!

7omklgd0w339.jpg
  • New Cockpit View :)
    cx9o5zabs0ps.jpg
  • Are you riding a trike or piloting a space shuttle?
  • They got to the moon with less. Seat bottom does look like something from the shuttle, lots of room for growth. :)
  • Hmmmm....
  • I've used Shimano "CLICK'R" platform pedals for quite some time on a hybrid bike. Platform on one side, clip-in on the other. I just put a pair on my new Traveler X16.
  • I own two recumbents - TerraTrike tandem and Catrike. I installed clipless on both for safety and exercise. The clipless enable a better workout, since you are “locked in” to the bike for push and pull motions. I agree that the clipless shoes could be improved, yet safety is always my primary concern. I strongly recommend the purchase and do not understand why SPD’s are not standard equipment on recumbents.

• Leg suck = Liability.
  • A great feature about clipless is one is able to pull back on the stroke to give more power that would otherwise be lost to normal pedals. One has to make a conscious effort to pedal backwards, up until it becomes second nature. Gives one more of a workout as well, yet the extra power is welcomed. I think that going clipless one does pull back to some degree without being aware of it.
  • TT now sells its trikes with Power Grips - I assume as their solution to the liabilities of leg suck.