Looking to adding another trike to stable

Got my Rover back in 2011 and love it.
May add another trike for myself and recycle the 2011 Rover to let friends use.

Was planning to get a new Rover but want opinions on getting something different like a Rambler or something.

Comments

• I know of a RAT that might be for sale in a few months time............
  • I love my new Rambler EVO!
  • It depends on what you like or don't like about your current trike. Do you need it to sit higher? Want an all-terrain ride? Need some e-assist to get up hills. I know there are tons of them in Missouri. Want more speed or more gears?
  • I take my RAT out on the dirt roads out in the desert where i used to ride my motorcycles and mtn bikes and the no suspension of my RAT bounces me around a lot. The roads are not real roads at all but more like rutted 2 lane paths, LOL. So am looking at a full suspension trike. The RAT has served me very well!
  • Don't you have anywhere else to ride?

I've seen frames fail on bikes that have suspensions. What's the guarantee that you'll get a better ride by buying a much more expensive trike?
  • Bigger tires, use less pressure. ROHO
    air cushion.
  • Oh I'm delighted with my Rover. I have the SA hub and think it's freaking awesome. Really can't think of anything I need changed on it.

Was planning to get another. But since TT doesn't use the SA hub anymore, and the N330 is the closest at $1899 :Then I thought, Hey, maybe a Rambler or a GT-think outside the box!
    And since I've never even seen another TerraTrike besides the Rover, thought I'd ask you guys.
    So I'll be more directed: What do and don't you like about your current TerraTrike?
  • To Florida bound and to Finn59: I raced bicycles{some road racing, Tris,and mtn bike raced from '95 to 2009} from'82 to 2009. The dirt is what I am used to, the tougher the better. I was a pretty good hill climber both asphalt and dirt. I do ride some on the sidewalks where its safer, and on some paved roads with little traffic and no sidewalks. FWIW as "bright" as I try to appear, {BRIGHT blinking head light, BRIGHT blinking tail light, BRIGHT yellow shirt, big USA flag; sometimes motorists "don't see me".......SCARY. In the rough desert NO worries about traffic its where i like to ride. To each their own. Best wishes!
  • Ironman, please list your broken bones for all of us.
  • Ironman, please list your broken bones for all of us.

1 broken wrist, 4 broken ankles, 5 hip replacements, one knee replacement, one Laminectomy. 1 dislocated shoulder, 1 separated shoulder; 2 concussions. 1 torn meniscus; 2 cataract/lens replacement, etc. NONE of these were caused by a bicycle. Mostly Osteo-Arthritis; old age; Skydiving, motorcycle racing. It's NOT been a "boring life" for me, LOL!
  • edited May 26
    I find the trend towards offroad capable trikes interesting but also limiting in their capability. Yes a RAT can go off road but compared to a MTB or Fat bike they cannot compete on similar terrain. Three point ground contact, the inability to get the front wheels light or lift via weight transfer, lack of true suspension plus flexible knees to absorb the shock all contribute to something other then a mountain trike. Most of the single tracks in our area would leave you walking the trike back to your car unless you attempted them at a highly reduced snails pace.
  • I have ZERO and I've been playing sports my whole life. I don't count my two knee replacements as broken bones. The worst injury I had was a separated shoulder. I fell in a hole playing soccer, fell on my shoulder and separated it. I thought I broke my ankle but it was fine.

I'll take my trike on a smooth road or sidewalk any day!
  • To each their own. Riding ANYTHING requires NO broken bones.........just ride. I did forget to add.....at the time of hip replacement number 5 {the titanium piece in my femur broke}, and the doc couldn't get the broken piece out of my femur, so he took my femur out and replaced it with a titanium rod. He said no more cycling so went to a trike. B)
  • TCEd wrote: »
    I find the trend towards offroad capable trikes interesting but also limiting in their capability. Yes a RAT can go off road but compared to a MTB or Fat bike they cannot compete on similar terrain. Three point ground contact, the inability to get the front wheels light or lift via weight transfer, lack of true suspension plus flexible knees to absorb the shock all contribute to something other then a mountain trike. Most of the single tracks in our area would leave you walking the trike back to your car unless you attempted them at a highly reduced snails pace.

I agree, especially on a single-track, VERY difficult to ride any trike on single-track. Obviously I don't ride on them. But on two track dirt roads semi-paths yes I do. I do still climb some pretty steep hills around here, both pavement and dirt. I pedal for a time, stop, rest a second, continue, repeat till I get to the top. The ride back down is the RUSH!!
  • I realize I'm late to the party, so to speak, but my buds at Spin Bicycle Shop in Lansing have been selling TerraTrikes for several years now, and to a man, they believe that the Grand Tourismo is the finest trike TerraTrike has ever made... they pick it over the Sportster and Tour II.
  • Did Spin pick it over the Catrike Road? Just curious.
  • Thanks, Trikebirder, I'm still looking for feedback.
  • @Jrobiso2, they never commented on any other trikes, just said they believe the GT was the finest trike TerraTrike ever built. But, Chad & Phil both use to own Catrikes and Phil recently sold his 700 and purchased a used ICE Sprint X, and loves it. Are you thinking about buying a Road AR?
  • Trying to figure out what will be my "forever retirement" trike. Wife wants to travel the country in an RV and ride every good path in the country. I'd like suspension, vertical handlebars with wrist rests, a cushy butt, etc. Given the experience of some friends on the other side of the state, I will be checking out the Road.
    Actual purchase is a few years away, however, so I have time. And TT has time for many different models and changes before I buy, so who knows?
  • I also want thumb shifters
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    I also want thumb shifters

Are thumb shifters the same as trigger shifters ? I have trigger shifters, on a ride the other day i was shifting the rear cassette with my little finger. The front triple takes a little more effort with my index finger, almost the same as shooting. Hand never leaves the grip.
  • What are wrist rest -ers? Fotos?
  • Thumb shifters are the ones that stick out of the top of vertical handlebars. They are not trigger shifters.

Wrist rests are here: https://trailside.bike/product/handrests-left-and-right-for-hp-velotechnik-gekko-fs/
  • Wrist rests are standard equipment on all Catrike models: https://catrike.com/road

Personally, I prefer the twist shifters. I have 28 internal gears on my 559, and my hand never needs to leave the grip either.

The guys at TerraTrike tell me they should have a trike with suspension by the end of the decade (just a year and a half away now), so waiting might put TT in the running for your "forever trike". In the meantime, you might want to check out the Catrike lineup. They have two trikes (Dumont and Road-AR) with full suspension, padded seats, vertical handlebars, thumb shifters, wrist rests, and the only trikes entirely designed and built in the USA. Perhaps the only negatives with Catrike are they DO NOT make any customizations to their trikes. Each model comes only equipped one way from Catrike. You would have to go through someone like Utah Trikes if you wanted one customized, or find a local dealer willing to make any desired changes, and hopefully credit your bill for removed components like Utah Trikes does. Or, make any desired changes yourself and keep or sell the removed components.
  • Oh yeah, and the Dumont even folds... and quite easily too!
  • Given my friend's experience over in Holland, MI, I'm giving serious consideration to the CaTrike Road, but since TT will have a suspension model before I buy, I'll try that first.
  • Suspension for you off roadeez??
  • The Catrike Road-AR is a nice trike, but in my humble, it can't compete with the Dumont. The Dumont is $500 more than the Road, but both models will be $200 off list price once Black Friday arrives through the end of 2018, assuming Catrike does this year the same as they have done in past years.

Still, like you, I would keep a close eye on TerraTrike to see what they might have to offer by the end of 2020. The last two trikes TT has released have been real winners- The GT and RAT. All I know about the first TT to offer suspension, is that TT's approach to suspension will be totally unique, or so I was told a year or so ago.
  • Wonder how much Trump's tariff will effect imported bike/trike goods. Most bikes/trikes have a bunch of foreign parts,even those assembled in the USA.
  • I've heard numbers like up to 25% more.