Flag question

I haven't purchased any flags yet, and I'm wondering - how far down the tube on the side of the seat are they supposed to go? I vaguely remember the dealer telling me they only go down about 4-5 inches. Is that right? Seems like they would come out fairly easily with a bit of wind and get lost.

Comments

• You are right that they only go down about 5 inches. But, I have been using two of their teardrop flags for a few years and never had one come out. While you ride, the top of the flag pole is pushed backwards while the bottom is pushed forward against the inside of the tube. Because of that friction, they don't slide out.
  • edited May 27
    I use two driveway markers, heavier fiberglass rods, in the seat. Have attached a USA & USAF motorcycle flags to either side, and as small TT Snake flag on one side. I can strap in a mandolin (or ukulele) to the rods, and even sporting a SunTactics solar Panel between the rods with a 10 foot charging cord to the iPhone for long rides & Pokemon hunting.

ezq9grsdrqsm.jpg

The use a Soundwinds Reflective Sail #653rf stinger, vertically from the back wheel/rack. Out here I need a flag that goes vertically so the trucks will see me, as compared to fishing-pole styled fashion flags. And I utilize a zip tie fashioned in a loop, attached to the rack, to keep the flag from bending too far one direction or the other in high winds.

I ride in the evenings & night on the hot days too, so am high on reflectivitiy & lighting without the added weight.

8qi47cduqwir.jpg

¬ ITL
  • Very helpful pics and information. Thanks, guys! Also nice to know there's a way to mount my mountain dulcimer on back... :smile:
  • Last year, before acquiring the TT headrest, was taking a ukulele with me to church on Saturdays. :) Have subsequently moved on to a Seagull S8 mandolin for the travel & portability factor.

27nsoblxvw9r.jpg

Adore the sounds of the Mountain Dulcimer. Have you heard of the Australian group, Laliya? James Maguire uses an interesting way of playing his dulcimer. Check out Little Blue Dot on YouTube. He doesn't pluck, he uses some odd pressure technique.
    https://www.facebook.com/laliyamusic/

¬ ITL
  • Thanks for tipping me off about Laliya! What beautiful, sweet tones..
  • Flags are GREAT, but they do slow us down a bit. Had a cycle guru tell me they can cost you 15% of your effort. I use to use two large flags, now I use one (road side) very tapered flag with two reflective streamers at the top, and multiple lights on the flagpole. Seems to work great!
  • I have one problem with flags on trikes. I'm 6'1" tall and the ends of most flag are right at eye level. A couple times I've been standing around some trikes and turned around suddenly and almost got poked in the eye.
  • edited June 24
    Those that stick out at a 45° angle are okay, but if you want to be seen is better to go 70°. Anything less than 40° become nothing more than a fishing pole.

@Lilypad has a fishing pole to lessen the drag, but he's not really seen flag wise. His lights are bright enough and staggered however.
    moc4ln55sz37.jpg
    Unsure what a colorblind person would see for a strobed red light.

I never felt any drag up until I put the two motorcycle flags (USA, USAF) on. Then I felt the drag.
    In windier conditions the tall flag hits me in the head. Then too I have a looped zip tie on the rack to keep the flag more upright.

¬ ITL
  • Flags are GREAT, but they do slow us down a bit. Had a cycle guru tell me they can cost you 15% of your effort. I use to use two large flags, now I use one (road side) very tapered flag with two reflective streamers at the top, and multiple lights on the flagpole. Seems to work great!

Seriously? I think my weight has much more affect than my two flags. Where have you been? I will be headed up there the end of next month and hope to see you and your wife at Riderfest.
  • Ahh yes, the size and weight of rider (& trike for that matter) account for the majority of effort, but if the 15% figure is at all accurate, then that still leaves 85% of our effort to propel the trike. But I'll see if I can get some reference for the 15% figure.

And, yes, Nancy and I are hoping to see you too at RiderFest. However, Nancy's doctor has told her to quit riding until after she gets her second knee replacement fearing she may be further injuring her knee. So, she (and our 9 year granddaughter) may attend but perhaps not ride. I am trying to get Nancy to try the 559, as it was much lower gearing (as well as much higher gearing). If that happens I'll have to decide if I'd rather ride the Rover, or Nancy's Traveler. See ya soon! Drive carefully.
  • So sorry to hear that! I rode up until 5 months before my surgeries. The only reason I stopped was that the weather was so hot in South Florida so I started swimming every other morning. I did water aerobics to strengthen the leg muscles before the surgery.

Yes, I am planning to be there and staying until Monday if there are any activities planned for Sunday.
  • There was a gent that had a led light tube for his trike. I think he advertised them on bentrider. Pricey but an eyeopener for sure. Real attention getter.

Glenn
  • Yes. Great if you ride at night and ride streets. Might even attract bugs, keep em away from your face. Now if one could turn it into a bug zapper...
  • You might have a winning idea there Finn.
  • Me and my ideas....how about wearing those electronic fly swatters/zappers on each knee. Photo op...