Internal 8

Found two online that have i8’s. Looking for my sis in law. What is it?
Internal hub?

Comments

• 8 speed transmission built into the rear hub. Shift gears 1 -8 by twisting the gear selector on the right handlebar grip.
  • I have one on my Rover. It's been great so far.
  • Thanks.
  • I'm waiting for others to ring in but I thought there was a big difference between the Nexus internal hub and the Sturmey Archer on. One ha issues that the other did not.
    It's somewhere in this messaage board. You might check to see which one those trikes have.
  • no real problem with any of the 8-speeds beyond user malfunction.

the sram and nexus hubs are best for climbing, moderate cruise. the sturmey gearing range is best suited for flatlanders with a need for speed.

sram and nexus can be shifted while applying the pedals, sturmey requires a pedal pause when shifting while in motion. all three hubs can be shifted to whatever gear when stopped.

igh wheels - less component wear, less frustrating to tweak than a derailleur, chain clearance is about 8 inches above the pavement, stays cleaner, but several hundred dollars more than a derailleur driveline when it comes to component replacement.
  • I have a Nexus and she has a NuVinci. I saw/read that the nexus will last much longer if one pauses while shifting. Ah, the WWW is the Gospel Truth...
  • The Shimano Nexus i8, model dependent, prefers pausing during shifting also. The i8 on my Rover Tandem makes considerable mechanical noise if shifted under load. I would not advising shifting under load, since I would predict the practice would lead to gear failure.
  • I have the Nexus and always pause while shifting. Got into the habit and now it's automatic.
  • Florida-have you ever been told to have the igh taken off and have it lubed internally? I think u have a 2014. I searched and read a lot last night. Some said Shimano suggests for the Nexus to have it done every two years.
  • edited May 30
    lube the nexus hub every 2 years or 2500 km so they say:
    shimano dealers manual, page 48
    http://si.shimano.com/#/en/DM/SG0003

similar preventive maintenance practice, my humble, pausing between shifts to reduce the load on hub components. new cables and housings every riding season also helps - gunk and water gets retained in the housing, cables fray, and the increased friction prolongs the shifting interval.

a worst case scenario on that thought -

water was over the hubs when i rolled three trikes out of a flooded apartment last hurricane season. three days later water over the entrance road was low enough to pedal over to the lbs. hopped on old reliable - no brakes!

always good to have a trike in reserve. hopped on number 2, brakes not as good as they could be but couldnt shift gears. aargh!

didnt do much in the way of reviving the old housings by flushing them out with wd-40 and wiping down the cables.

brakes on number 3 were mushy but could shift gears so off i went for 3 sets of brake and shifter cables, housings and magic chain lube.

2 of the trikes were derailleur equipped. i had previously taken apart the nexus hub on old reliable for a look-see of the innards, used liberal lithium grease on reassembly so flood waters didnt get inside the hub.

on tandem shifting problems: if the hub indexing is spot-on, changing housing and cable might make all the difference in shifting performance.
  • bit of addenda on the lube subject from Sheldon Brown:

"Metal wear particles contaminate the grease, and so the hubs require periodic cleaning and replenishment of a special grease that does not make the pawls stick. The hub must be disassembled into its major components, solvent cleaned, dried and re-lubricated. Still, frequent failures of grease-lubricated hubs due to water contamination have been reported in wet climates --see photos here. Oil lubrication, with waterproof grease for the outer bearings, avoids this problem and also allows replenishment of the lubricant without dismantling the hub."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html#lubrication

pause between shifts, less wear-metal particles
  • and these various devices are supposed improvements over derailleurs for what advantage ?
  • Mo dallah in dere pockets!!
  • Finn, I seldom ride in water so my gears might not be as bad as others of that age. I also only have a few thousand miles on it. I do want to get some overall maintenance done. The problem is I either need to make two trips to Gainesville FL or Jackson MS to get to a TT dealer.

Are there any dealers up in Michigan who could complete that in a day if I come to Riderfest?
  • Hmmm. West Michigan Bike & Fitness has three stores in West Michigan. The closest store to the outing will be there selling items. I think they are closed on Sundays. I have dealt with the Holland MI store. westmichiganbike.com
    Call the Wyoming store. 10-5 on Saturdays. Closed on Sundays.
  • miss florida - high rent increase had gator cycle moving to northwest 13th street. michael, the manager, has a 7 or 8 year old nexus that he takes apart for cleaning once a year, incentive being its on his wifes cargo bike.

chances of an lbs willing to give the nexus a bath by appointment are slim. one of the reasons, chances of a misadventure in disassembly or reassembly requiring new parts, the other that it is far more lucrative to spend shop time building a new bike for sale. bikes and trikes in for repair at gator cycle go into the queue, maybe emerge in 3 days.
  • I would like to wash mine while on the guud side of 6-0. After that, probably forget how to reassemble. Another phrase comes to mind, if it ain’t broke...
  • Alfine is the higher end nexus, about the same cost these days as the nexus-8. check it out at niagara cycle, search on 'igh'.

suspect industry trend toward 10-11-12 speed is drying up the 8-speed demand and shimano is clearing out their inventory.

why would anyone want an igh? probably same reason manual transmission cars and trucks started getting kinda scarce at new car dealers 20 years ago.

the igh solves the regret of not stopping bike or trike in first gear.

no learning curve, much cleaner chain by not dragging it through the mud on a 20-inch wheel, with 8-inches of road clearance harder to snag grass and twigs, far less tweaking than derailleur, easier and cheaper to change gearing range than derailleur equipped, no risk of calf-gash by getting too close to a triple chainwheel or ripping the legs open if you dump the trike, no bent derailleur hanger, near impossible to throw a chain . . .

in short, makes for a simpler triking experience.

• JamesR wrote: »
    Alfine is the higher end nexus, about the same cost these days as the nexus-8. check it out at niagara cycle, search on 'igh'.

suspect industry trend toward 10-11-12 speed is drying up the 8-speed demand and shimano is clearing out their inventory.

why would anyone want an igh? probably same reason manual transmission cars and trucks started getting kinda scarce at new car dealers 20 years ago.

the igh solves the regret of not stopping bike or trike in first gear.

no learning curve, much cleaner chain by not dragging it through the mud on a 20-inch wheel, with 8-inches of road clearance harder to snag grass and twigs, far less tweaking than derailleur, easier and cheaper to change gearing range than derailleur equipped, no risk of calf-gash by getting too close to a triple chainwheel or ripping the legs open if you dump the trike, no bent derailleur hanger, near impossible to throw a chain . . .

in short, makes for a simpler triking experience.

All that marketing is fine but once maintenance is required it becomes a swiss watch. A open derailleur is visible, easy to clean/lube and only needs a phillips screwdriver to adjust. In three years I've done one adjustment, had three thrown chains, never hit or bent a hanger, sprocket guard is cheap and easy to install.