Slipping Seat...

This is my second Rover in 7 years and I'm still having issues with the seat slipping. Terratrike was kind enough to send me an additional seat clamp with the suggestion to install it directly behind the original clamp. Done....I also slipped pieces of an old inner tube on the plastic slide pieces of the new clamp to ensure better gripping. I also wrapped a piece of an old inner tube around the frontside of the seat clamp with zip ties to prevent forward movement. I took it out for a 20 mile ride and had 0 movement of the seat. Terratrike really needs to redesign the Rovers seat clamp. We (the customers) should not have to come up with our own fixes for this seat clamp. We should be able to set the seat and forget about it. Attached is a picture of my seating set-up that provides 0 slip.i65mik71jfan.jpg

Comments

• Same thing happen to me. When I called terratrik e sent the clamp free of charge. No problems since.
  • One U- bolt behind mine with inner tube under. No problemo. 2013 Rover. My wife has a 2016 Rover bought new last April. Been meaning to put a clamp on hers. So far no slippage without extra clamp. She weighs 175 and doesn’t push herself hard to go fast. Nice and easy.
  • I wonder if part of the problem is due to pedal mashing, riding in a overly high gear and the rider mass pushing back against the seat ?
    or
    Someone assembling the seat bracket wedges incorrectly ?
  • When you push forward, there will be a corresponding push backwards. Does it have anything to do with the weight on the seat? Possibly! Good news is now we know how to solve the problem.
  • When you push forward, there will be a corresponding push backwards. Does it have anything to do with the weight on the seat? Possibly! Good news is now we know how to solve the problem.

There have been a number of successful fixes due to rider creativity.
  • Square U bolts with extra metal bridges. Leather between metal and boom. $6 fix.
    c1tqq3pifav8.jpg
  • One of the bigger issues is the bolt that holds the seat to the clamp. It comes loose way too often, and the seat squeaks as one rocks back and forth when pedaling & when riding over uneven surfaces: angled sidewalks, car ramps, roads, hardpack, trails, etc.

Wished there was a better fix. Trying to use two hex wrenches, when bent over the seat, can be a challenge at times. Thinking of replacing with a case hardened bolt, as wrenches would be far easier to use than hex keys.
  • I'd drill a quarter inch hole horizontally through the frame and clamp and fasten a bolt in it. That would stop any form of movement forever and wouldn't damage the paint.
  • IdahoTrailLizard, are you sure it's the seat mount? I thought it was too and found out the set in bolts on the frame keep coming lose. There is one behind the seat, one in fronnt of the seat, and one right under the crossbar for the front wheels. The last one is what keep coming lose on my Rover. When it does, you can rock the seat from side to side. I think it is due to hooking the dog's harness to the back of the seat. Too much stress from one side.
  • edited June 10
    Quite sure, at least in my case. Am going to find a way to rectify this issue without needing hex keys to tightening it back up. Loktite works in some situations, not so much on the seat bolt - although it may have kept it held longer.

Think anyone rocks back and forth to some degree, more so when they do not get out as much as they should. Working 2 jobs sucks out one's free time.