Rear Tire size

Do you have to keep tire size the same on all 3 wheels or can you use a bigger tire in the rear. I just got a Rover x8 and I'm trying to get the best ride and speed.

Comments

• What is the terrain where you ride? Hilly or flat? That will help the experts give you the best advice. I'm not the expert.

How often and far do you ride? Sometimes it just takes getting used to riding. I'm finding now that I hit 10 mph on the flats without really trying. In the past, 8 mph was best I could do unless going down hill.
  • Tire size will impact your gearing and has pro and con results. A larger rear tire may increase top speed but also reduce hill climbing.
  • When you said:"Bigger size in the rear" were you talking about going to a larger diameter wheel/tire or just a wider tire? I don't think your Rover could fit a larger wheel, not sure. From the pics it looks like there is no room in the frame for one. Wider yes a bit.
  • Have a 24 in rear wheel running 2.12 x 24Big Ben Rs 20 x2.12 on stock front wheels. Works fine.2016 TT Rover
  • Fla-arrived ( her new name) has 24’s all around and I believe rear can go to a 26”. A wider tire back there might get cozy as it narrows somewhat. Am I correct in that? It’s late...
  • 26x1.5 will fit a rover. however, hiking the rear end dips the nose and may have you encountering heel-strike on lumpy roads. raise the rear end of the trike 3 inches on blocks and check seated heel clearance if thinking 26.

suggest giving a shot at upgrading the engine before upgrading the components in the quest for speed. spinning is where its at - turn the cranks of an x8 rover at 60 rpm, go 11.9 mph. up the pace to 80 rpm - 15.8 mph.

fully inflated stock cst tires are a pretty good benchmark for comfort. balloon tires (20x2.0) at 35 psi or so will give you a cushier ride.
  • Wished could put one of them 4 inch FAT tires on the back of Rover. /Very Big Grin

¬ ITL
  • The other concern when moving to just a larger wheel/tire (i.e. 24" or 26") is a safety concern - the possibility of the rear wheel flipping the rider over the boom on fast stops is proportionally increased as wheel size increases. And, I am sorry to say, I speak from experience!
  • Don’t you adjust the seat in back to lower the rider so the engine stays level, when going to a larger rear tire?
    Do you have a video of said flip?
  • I have a 26" rear and have yet to experience any rear lift but my seat is only 8.5" off the round so the C.G. is very low when compared to all other T.T. models.
  • I do not have a video. This happened not quite two years ago now. I was clipping along at a good speed when a delivery van driver made eye contact with me just before cutting me off and pulling into the driveway 10' in front of me. I locked up the brakes, the rear wheel went vertical, and the trike me threw me over the boom. Fortunately, experience in football and wrestling taught me how to fall and roll, and I somehow did so without even thinking about it. It all happened so fast. I nearly hit the truck while in the air falling. I still have the road-rash scars. Had I not locked up the brakes the rear may have remained stationary, but 10' gives you zero time to do little else. I fear I might have been killed had I done anything differently.

Well, I have learned not to ride so fast where there are automotive vehicles and driveways. It can be so tempting to go fast wherever there is a long, straight, gradual downward slope. Lesson learned.
  • What is the widest tire one can get on the back of a Rover i8? @chonk ??

¬ ITL
  • My wife had the back come off the ground when she braked hard for a child who wandered out in front of her. Trikebirder-were your feet clipped in? Did the driver get out to help? Can you guess your speed???
  • "Trikebirder-were your feet clipped in?" Sort of, I use Power Grips - "Did the driver get out to help?" No, I didn't see him once I got my wits about me, picked myself and trike up off the ground. If I would have seen him again, one or both of us would have been in serious trouble. - "Can you guess your speed???" I was probably traveling at about 15 mph. Yes, in retrospect, I was traveling too fast for where I was riding.
  • My bro-in-law was toe clipped in on his df when his son stopped quickly in front of him. Steve laid on the brakes but went over the bars. Lived to tell his son never stop u announced like that again. I’ll ask him why his rear brake didn’t seem to help that time.
  • My 559 is now equipped with a rear brake, it is only 11" off the ground, and is equipped with Avid BB7's. I'm also a more experienced and wiser rider. But I still have a lot more to learn!
  • So...if you put the larger wheel on the back how much increase in speed are we really talking?
  • The Catrike 559 was designed and built with the 26" back wheel. If all you do is add a larger rear wheel, and you can't spin-out (pedal faster than 90 crank revolutions per minute) in your highest gear, than adding a larger wheel to the rear of the trike will make you slower, not faster, as it decreases your low end gearing, and increases your high end gearing.

Speed is primarily a function of fitness level, proper gearing, trike/rider weight, and overcoming wind resistance. The best thing most of us can do to improve our speed, is to improve our organic motor!

A larger rear wheel will give you a more comfortable ride, and if your organic motor is in tune, your gearing is appropriate, it will make it easier to keep up with df riders.
  • The Catrike 559 was designed and built with the 26" back wheel. If all you do is add a larger rear wheel, and you can't spin-out (pedal faster than 90 crank revolutions per minute) in your highest gear, than adding a larger wheel to the rear of the trike will make you slower, not faster, as it decreases your low end gearing, and increases your high end gearing.

Speed is primarily a function of fitness level, proper gearing, trike/rider weight, and overcoming wind resistance. The best thing most of us can do to improve our speed, is to improve our organic motor!

A larger rear wheel will give you a more comfortable ride, and if your organic motor is in tune, your gearing is appropriate, it will make it easier to keep up with df riders.

This is 100% correct. for a variety of reasons I'm not riding as much as I have the past 2-3 years, mostly due to weather and schedule. With that I'm struggling to approach my previous pace and distance and staying in the middle ring more then the top one. I'll improve but it will be later in the season. The motor and mind are most important and to think any mechanical improvement on the trike will give you a speed increase is incorrect almost always. I've said this previously that the riders weight and motor
    condition are the two most important elements when considering any attempt at speed and distance gain. ed

This is the answer I was looking for. My husband & I are both over 65 & hoping to lose weight & get fit. Budget is tight - thus the x8 Rover is our choice. Was told this trike is too slow, but “going fast” is not our priority, getting fit is, so I think we have the right choice for what we can afford & probably handle. This forum is awesome, I have learned so much & it’s just interesting to read about people’s experience.
  • I have learned 90% of what I know about trikes from this forum. It's good to see others benefit from me sharing some of the info I have learned here previously. Soon you will be imparting your new-found wisdom onto others. Like you, and many of the folks here on the forum, I too am over 65 and working to lose more weight and get fitter. I've come along way already, but I can do more.