Rear Carg Rack

Am starting to not like having a tall cargo rack in the back.

The pack on this Bontrager cargo rack is in the way of the head rest at times. And looking at other photos I could possibly gain more attachment room on the back seat.

If I recall, some time back in the past 1.5 years, there was another member of he forum that suggested a different rack by another company. It appeared to have a better arm attachment iirc.

Are there other cargo racks that are good on the Rover?

¬ ITL

Comments

• Look in the TT store for the rack that goes behind the seat.
  • few cargo racks specifically made for a 20-inch wheel.

http://shop.dahonbikes.com/p/arclite-aluminum-rack-silver-for-20-wheel/accessories_racks?pp=8

http://foldingbike.biz/Dahon-Ultimate-Rear-Rack-20-Black

optional terratrike rack height keeps the bottom of a decent sized pannier from rubbing against the axle nuts. if need to tote a rack bag as well as panniers, you can install it backwards for more rearward bag mounts.
  • edited June 17
    If had a decent discount coupon I'd probably get a TerraTrike cargo rack.
    Look in the TT store for the rack that goes behind the seat.

The TT version is far too expensive and has no mounting on the back for a rear light.

¬ ITL
  • edited June 17
    Tern Cargo Rack was the one someone mentioned to me last year. Found out it weighs 2 pounds though.
    Do like the design and that it has a protected rear light mounting bracket, but the weight...

qwokpjsupf76.jpg

¬ ITL
  • Your motor won’t feel that lil bit. Take a flag off to equal it all out.
  • http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11617992.html

rated at 65 pounds capacity. put one on years back. same design as the unspec tt but with added front and rear flanges under the deck for increased strength.

have both tern and bontrager deluxe mounted these days, back when had both tt and ut mounted.

what i like about the tern is the wide deck with separation of pannier support rails and the class act they did on the attach hardware compared to bontrager (ut aint even in the running on that issue).

agree with Finn - if you dont take off the innertube valve caps to save weight, 2 pounds is nothing to worry about.
  • Noticed, during searches, that the TT cargo rack is $70 on Amazon (not Prime), but TT's site lists it at $90. Why the difference?

¬ ITL
  • Tern Cargo Rack was the one someone mentioned to me last year. Found out it weighs 2 pounds though.
    Do like the design and that it has a protected rear light mounting bracket, but the weight...

qwokpjsupf76.jpg

That's the one I got. Very pleased with how closely it hugs the tire, it's a pain to get setup, but not that big a deal though since you only really have to do so once.
    xw69uekt99bd.jpg
  • edited July 2
    Ordered one directly from the Tern site. Other retailers wanted too much for shipping, and the company was only $8 shipping. Strangely Amazon did not list one for sale.

Will see about getting some TT panniers in the next few days after juggling the books. Wished @chonk would have an accessories sale. /grin

¬ ITL
  • My panniers collected too much and weighed 10 lbs very quickly. They are just hanging out inside porch now.
  • ordering online without prior fitting might result in disappointment. suggest once you mount the tern, drop in at various bike shops and trial fit panniers before buying.

if interested in roll your own:
    https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBK
  • Rack arrived today.

@YamiYuki what panniers did you end up using?

¬ ITL
  • edited July 7
    Rack arrived today.

@YamiYuki what panniers did you end up using?

I bought a pair of Hobos on clearance at my lbs.
    Not great but they work and can keep thinks cold as a bonus.
    Eventually I want to make some hardshell ones myself.
    1bwtdfoawadd.jpg
  • Going to try TT's Adventure Panniers.
    Browsed through a lot of sites. Wanted pairs that can be independently mounted, that way I'll have access to the rack itself. Then can tie something down or use a rack pack, maybe have the room to carry take-out up top too.

¬ ITL
  • edited July 9
    Okay, got shipping issue taken care of, as their website reads that TT will contact you for shipping rates. Talked with Joshua, anything over $100 includes shipping now. :)

¬ ITL
  • I see you use Marathon Plus as well. :) They seem to be the rugged go-to bike tire.

¬ ITL
  • edited July 18
    YamiYuki wrote: »
    That's the one I got. Very pleased with how closely it hugs the tire, it's a pain to get setup, but not that big a deal though since you only really have to do so once.

@YamiYuki You weren't kidding about the pain to put this thing together. Attempted to put this Tern Rack in the lawn. Lost a nylok nut in the grass... Tern did not put in a spare nylok nut, so used a standard nut until I can either find it or acquire another.

42578110705_79d0bf2c14_o.jpg

Found was best to assemble the majority of this rack indoors. Setting the inside bolt/nuts was easy, yet trying to get my fingers in the gap for the outer bolt/nut was the challenge.

TerraTrike's Adventure Panniers are a tight fit due to the locking mechanism. I decided to to keep the locking mechanism for what its worth.

42578110215_62555fd72d_o.jpg

Should have it installed tomorrow.

¬ ITL
  • YamiYuki wrote: »

@YamiYuki You weren't kidding about the pain to put this thing together. Attempted to put this Tern Rack in the lawn. Lost a nylok nut in the grass... Tern did not put in a spare nylok nut, so used a standard nut until I can either find it or acquire another.

42578110705_79d0bf2c14_o.jpg

Found was best to assemble the majority of this rack indoors. Setting the inside bolt/nuts was easy, yet trying to get my fingers in the gap for the outer bolt/nut was the challenge.

TerraTrike's Adventure Panniers are a tight fit due to the locking mechanism. I decided to to keep the locking mechanism for what its worth.

42578110215_62555fd72d_o.jpg

Should have it installed tomorrow.

Those are the easy bit's, the front supports are going to be the hard part.
    It will be easier if you remove the rear wheel but it's still a tight space to work in.
  • edited July 21
    Did get it installed. Broke a bolt that goes through the seat mount to the tubing and the rack support. Not had the time to find a replacement bolt.

The bike shop that I got the Rover from gave me these 4 inch long bolts to attach a rack to. Overkill in length. Not sure how the bolt broke. So I left it the way it was and zip tied that one side up until I get to True Value and get replacements. Did find a nylok nut yesterday.

Nice rack, and wow, LOTS of room after going from a 26" rack to a 20". Although I lost the stinger flag mount up until I can figure out another route.

No decent photos yet. @YamiYuki I downloaded your large photo and it helps A LOT! Thank you!!!!!

¬ ITL
  • I'm glad it could help and I have to agree, it makes a surprising amount of difference having a better fitting rack.
  • Makes it a lot easier to haul up the veranda stairs too. The back of the rack fits the hand well, and I agree that this rack is quite sturdy.

Had put the panniers more to the rear, past the axle. Have already noticed improved traction in spots of loose terrain & grasses.
    cf79pzd1gfv1.jpg

¬ ITL
  • After a few tries decided to use a former SoundWinds flag mount on the seat support bolt. Then looped a small zip tie to fit the flag through. Got the stinger back. :)

28823305497_03db810901_o.jpg

Before the flag mount
    28823307017_8d4f1750ab_o.jpg

¬ ITL
  • Thinking of raising the adjuster a notch or two. Had used the bungee cords underneath the rack, and one was rubbing against the tire.

Do like this rack as it makes loading and unloading way easier than with a standard cargo rack. Have found many benefits:
    ● its ruggedness helps in loading and unloading the trike
    ● the rack’s end bar fit the hand comfortably, making hand-towing easy
    ● keeps rear lights out of the way, protected, and enhances its function
    ● panniers can be mounted in various positions. For me I prefer to mount more to the rear which keeps the weight of tools & supplies to the rearward side of the axle, which assists in keeping the rear wheel more firmly to the various surfaces I ride over
    ● ample room to carry items on top of the rack, like Chinese take-out (big advantage on a recumbent trike)
    ● this Tern rack fits well on the TerraTrike Rover and their Adventure Panniers works great with this rack!
    ● finally, the rack’s design keeps weeds and twigs from jamming up inside.

¬ ITL