Tandem Pro 2-speed rear hub?

So here’s my next question.

Does anybody know if there is multiple speed (maybe just 2 speeds) hub that will work on the Tandem Pro? In the past I was contemplating getting a 2-wheel tandem with and internal hub.
https://co-motion.com/bikes/java-rohloff so I’m thinking that there should be something out there that can handle the torque of a tandem.

The reason I ask is that I need about a 25% lower, low gear, (we live at 6300 ft and are over each 70 years old ).

Suggestions welsome.

Comments

• Normally I would say a Schlumpf or Patterson in the front crank would do the trick, but I'm not sure about a tandem. Maybe you'd need 2?
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    Normally I would say a Schlumpf or Patterson in the front crank would do the trick, but I'm not sure about a tandem. Maybe you'd need 2?

Oh boy that would really take a bunch of coordination, beside that, 2 would not work. I did think of just one at the chain rings. That might work if the shifters were moved back there. I can see all sorts of arguments related to the shifting.

Side questions (since I’m new here).
    1) Am I supposed to get an email saying someone appended to the topic?
    2) How the heck to I log out of the forum?
    Thanks.

PS: I
    I'll have to look up the Patterson drive.
  • keeping the rear cassette, a patterson will not work for lowering gearing, a schlumpf mountain drive will.

schlumpf, 52-tooth chain ring, 12-88 gear-inches
    tandem pro oem spec, 18-90 gear-inches

except for the rambler all terrain, trikes are sold as flatland critturs. matter of fact, if you were to convert to the all terrain driveline you would have a decent climber. expect the tandem will take 24-inch wheels as well. it will, by the way, take schwalbe 20x2.0 big apple tires.

keeping stoker happy on this venture should be a priority. my first upgrade would be a rear fender, cargo rack, and trunk bag to keep the stokers head from being pelted with various animal deposits left roadside.

gearing is kind of a non-issue regarding stoker on a trike with ips - if captain is foolish enough to attempt a steep hill to climb, stoker can rest on the pedals and watch captain pay for his sin.

it would be prudent to choose gearing for a captain-only effort. suggest before considering exotic solutions that you replace your front chainring with a 22-32-44 mountain bike crankset and see if your mod is moving in the right direction.
  • How do you propose to use a Schlumpf on a Tandem? Oh yeah I could install it where the chain rings are, but then the Captain controls the rear shifter and the stoker controls the front (Schlumpf), not the makings for a good relationship.

Now the 22-32-44 sounds like it could work. Have any ideas on where to purchase them for a 130 BCD crank? I have looked and am apparently looking in the wrong place.

Thanks
  • be hard to find mtb gearing in 130 bcd. for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-slx-m7000-triple-10sp-chainset/rp-prod148301

search on 'mtb crankset 10-speed'

captain has all shifters, brakes. schlumpf or patterson just replace front derailleur and chainrings.
  • edited June 30
    3 speed Sturmey supposed to be pretty tough. Karl Gesslein had some articles on them behind a Bafang BBHD and they held up
  • I would suggest you consider adding an electric assist to help with those hills. I find that when riding my electric assist trike (Rover) I don't get any less fitness. Rather, I just ride further, longer, more frequently, and faster... and always with a big grin!
  • JamesR wrote: »
    be hard to find mtb gearing in 130 bcd. for example: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-slx-m7000-triple-10sp-chainset/rp-prod148301

search on 'mtb crankset 10-speed'

captain has all shifters, brakes. schlumpf or patterson just replace front derailleur and chainrings.

Thanks. I'll have to dig in some more. Looks like I may not ride for a couple of week, as I had a small surgery on my calf and I was ORDERED not to stress the legs. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

• I would suggest you consider adding an electric assist to help with those hills. I find that when riding my electric assist trike (Rover) I don't get any less fitness. Rather, I just ride further, longer, more frequently, and faster... and always with a big grin!

I have though about elect assist. However, since our routes are already not long, and we have a hard to finding good roads. Besides, it just seems like cheating.

• 3 speed Sturmey supposed to be pretty tough. Karl Gesslein had some articles on them behind a Bafang BBHD and they held up

WOW! more stuff that I have not heard of. I feel like I'm back in tech school.
  • Lot's of folks feel that electric assist is cheating, it's not! If anything, it makes you work more because your efforts are immediately reinforced. Remember, it is "assist" meaning you have to pedal to make it work (although one could use it as electric only, but that would be cheating). Do yourself a favor, try out a trike with an electric assist hub motor and then try one with a crank motor (frequently called a mid-drive motor) like the Bafang BBSHD. I know of no trike owner who has installed a BBSHD and ever regretted it. And they all say they use their trike more frequently and ride further with their electric assist.

I personally have two trikes, one with a BBSHD (my Rover) and a Catrike 559 without a motor. I plan on purchasing a tandem section with IPS for my Rover so the wife and I can ride better together. I still ride both trikes. Frequently I ride my Rover without even hooking up the battery. My Rover is my heaviest trike (44# plus the weight of the BBSHD ~ 10# and 52v 13.6ah battery ~8#, plus fenders, rear rack, seat bag, tools), so when I ride with my wife, I frequently ride the Rover, as she likes to average 5-6 mph, and I'd rather average 10-12 mph. I can't ride the Rover setup like this that fast, so it is easier for us to ride together if I ride the Rover. I get a better workout, and I only go a bit faster than her.

All that said, I doubt I will add an electric assist to my 559, so I do understand and respect where you are coming from. Please keep us informed of your process as you progress. Best of luck!
  • TrikeBirder,

I finally started looking at the Bafang BBSHD. VERY interesting. Do you have any pictures of the setup that you would like to share?

Thanks.
  • edited July 8
    I bought a used Rover Tandem last spring. The intent was for me to get exercise and my wife (who lost her vision in 2016) to enjoy the ride and contribute as she healed. Quickly found that I had difficulty pulling my weight and hers on significant hills. I was definitely getting exercise but at the expense of any fun.
    Thanks to this forum, I bought BBSHD kit from Luna and had local bike shop install it. Problem solved. When riding tandem, I set assist at 0 or 1 and we enjoy the ride. Any big increase in grade I just bump the assist up. We have independent pedaling system so Vickie can pedal hard, easy, or ride.
    I've added some gadgets ... the most effective is the Eartech headsets for communication. Not cheap but with her comprehension compromised invaluable. Recent heat in high 90's has interrupted but trying to catch some mornings. Be glad to share any experience that might help. This forum is the bomb!
    My biggest issue is chain wheel size. Would love a 2 speed option for the occasions I'm solo or with a more able stoker.
  • You would think that as someone who worked for years as a photographer, I'd have a lot of photos but, sadly, no. And I have things torn apart at the moment. But, If you go to YouTube and search for trike with BBSHD, you'll see plenty of setups. I too purchased my BBSHD and battery from Luna Cycle. They were great to work with, if a hair slower than I would have preferred returning telephone answers to the questions I left for them.

One piece of advice I can offer, while the motor and battery can handle any type of rain shower you might through at them, they are less forgiving if you take them for a dip in your local river... Don't ask! Let's just say I speak from experience... still, the motor suffered no ill effects. The same wasn't true for the battery.

Everyday I live and learn a little more!
  • Southbound.

Looks like we both bought a Tandem for the same reason. My wife is recovering from her second bout with the BIG CA. Now her breathing has taken a negative turn. 20-20 hindsight, I think, the Rover looks like a better fit for the BBSHD. The chains look straighter than the Pro. Oh well, life goes on.

Years back we had a couple of Santana Tandem because I needed an equalizer. I came close to going back to a 2 wheel tandem, but I just like the trike ergonomics better. Getting old(er) you know.
  • TrikeBirder,

I will take a look.

I have a feeling that with all the chains on the Pro that the EVELO (or whatever it is called) elect rear wheel would be better. However it is a bunch more expensive.

Thanks again.
  • AZTandemPro
    Lol. I took one look at the Pro, salivated a bit, then acknowledged Vickie would never get to a seat that low. Rover is perfect height. If we can stay well and in the right temperature range, I think it will be with us a while. Riding in AM before church.
    Next probable gadget ... VersaBars for her.
  • Southbound,

Not sure where you live, but your remark on early a.m. rides hits home. When we lived in Tucson we would get up around 5:00 a.m., in the summer, ride 30-50 miles, come home, clean up, have breakfast, then take a nap Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Of course we were younger then,

Gotta set our priorities.