Rover seat wiggle on clamp

I tried searching for this one but couldn't find anything. I have a new Rover, and I have noticed the seat base wiggling a bit on the seat clamp. Tightening the main bolts holding the seat frame to the seat clamp doesn't seem to change anything, and looking under there while jiggling the seat I can see the seat frame eyelets moving up and down in relation to the bolt. Are the bushings bad already? Not properly spec'd by the LBS?

Comments

• your 20 mph downhill squirrel and steering comments could be wheel alignment done improperly and steering spindle cap bolts not tight enough.

prudent with a new trike of any kind to check toe-in, uniform spoke tightness, wheel true, and bolt tightness.

unless a diy type, after a few months or a few hundred miles on a new trike, back to the lbs to get wheels trued, brake and shifter cables adjusted. keep a close eye on front tire wear.

seat struts need to be tight to limit seat wiggle. always possible a shim is missing or the wedge blocks were installed upside down.

check out http://www.terratrike.com/media/docs/NewRoverManual.pdf
  • Found the main seat bolt wear developed enough wobble I could not correct w standard tightening. Finally drilled seat mount and bushing out to fit sae 7/16 bolt, inserted flat washer on bolt between seat mount and frame tabs, and tightened with locking nut. No more wiggle
  • edited July 1
    Seat wedge issues are common to sellers of TerraTrikes. Since they lack the expertise they often are installed upside down. The correct way takes more initiative.

emcxq0t4le7t.jpg

d0nvbhjey6a1.jpg

Found the main seat bolt wear developed enough wobble I could not correct w standard tightening. Finally drilled seat mount and bushing out to fit sae 7/16 bolt, inserted flat washer on bolt between seat mount and frame tabs, and tightened with locking nut. No more wiggle

So tempted in doing this as well... !

¬ ITL
  • The clamp itself is not the failing factor for me. I compromised on dealing with the clamp slip by just setting the seat all the way back and shortening the boom and chain before taking it out the LBS door. This way I have no seat slippage, and since I have long arms (positive Ape Index), I still reach the handles just fine. As Squirrel mentioned, it is that pair of bolts at the top of the clamp that take the seat frame base tabs. I can look down there while wiggling the seat and see the seat base tabs move independent of the seat clamp assembly.

Squirrel, do you have any photos or process for how you did this?
  • My seat never moves anymore. My problem is the screws on the main frame keep coming loose. If I can rock the seat side to side, I know it's time to check them for tightness. I'm going to ask the TT experts if there is a solution at Riderfest.
  • Wish I could make it over to Riderfest, but the balls are not lining up for it this year. Let me know what you find out, though.