Hydration

Living in SW Florida has many advantages as far as being able to ride year round, but it also presents problems with not only heat, but because of high humidity as well, also has high heat indexes. Hydration is very important no matter where you live, though, so I hope this is a universal question. Has anyone tried strapping a Camel-back type hydration system to the back side of the seat? Will it fit without rubbing the rear tire? It looks as though the shoulder straps would fit over the top of the seat and the waist strap could then be brought around the lower part of the seat.
I saw one fellow on YouTube strap a 1-gallon orange colored cooler onto the back of his trike with a tube for drinking, but I think I'd prefer the camel-back system if it will fit. I'm still trikeless, so I can't do any experimenting yet.

Comments

• Heard others put a hydration bladder in a TT seat bag. There are standard and deluxe TT bags available.

Although I do have a Camelbak Lobo have not used with the Rover as of yet. Been using 3 water bottles, and have a water filtration system on hand for longer excursions.

¬ ITL
  • Camelbak Unbottle works amazingly well tucked through the back of the Rover seat. 3L of water at your grasp. The drink nozzle is held on to my handlebar using a magnetic mount piece. Just have to make sure to keep the bottom out of the tire, either with a fender, or using a bit of strap to pull the bottom forward against the seat.

oqxpb6kb5qdc.jpg
    xmtbtr7ed2iz.jpg
    uoquncb4n6pe.jpg
    uh3m9lqa73t4.jpg
    Bonus with the wide Rover Seat I now have, it can hold TWO Unbottles, which I have plans for splicing two drink lines together so they can be used in tandem for extra long rides.
  • TimC, I spent two years in Naples and found the summers were best for swimming. I stopped riding all together. It was just too hot.

I did go to the Terracycle website and get a double drink bottle holder which I love. It's pricey but works great.
  • I've heard of the double bottle holders. They really do sound nice. Yes our summers are hot. I haven't been riding any lately but my wife tries to only ride early morning or late afternoon when it starts cooling off. Problem with the afternoons are the thunder storms. I want to be able to ride with her again, which is why I'm wanting a trike.
    Jack, I like the way your Camelbak straps onto the back of the seat. Not how I originally thought of doing it, but that really seems to work.
  • It's lasted several hundred miles so far with no issues or showing signs of wearing out. It's not so much strapped as simply fed through the frame, and the handle clips itself in place. The UnBottle is a Camelbak that has no straps of its own. It's meant to be loaded into or onto another pack.
  • Place a hydration bladder inside a TerraTrike Seat Bag. Easily done. Couple of other discussions on the subject:

https://www.terratrike.com/ttforum/discussion/3179/water-bladder

https://www.terratrike.com/ttforum/discussion/394/hydration-packs

¬ ITL
  • Thanks for the tips, guys!
  • My buddy Rick has his very nicely tucked in to the least expensive seat bag that fits on the back of the seat. I purchased a FastBack Hydration Pack from TerraCycle, and it works well- expensive, but highly adaptable to multiple trike locations.
  • Does the water stay cool in the bladder? I like my Hydro Flask because I still have ice cubes when I get home from a ride. No other bottle I own does that. I have to have cold water for my ride.
  • My bladder is not insulated (they do make some that are) and neither is my FastBack Hydration Pack. There is enough room to put some insulating foam in the bag if I were interested in keeping the water cold. It just isn't a priority for me. As long as it isn't warm (and it never is), remains wet (and it always does- of course), and quenches my thirst, I am OK with it. I do start out with refrigerated water, and it stays fairly cool for a couple of hours typically.
  • I'm like Florida_bound. In Florida's summer heat, I need my water to be cold! Well, maybe I don't need it, but I sure like it better. I added a rear rack to my new-to-me Rover and I'm thinking of mounting a cooler back there with a hole drilled in it for a drinking tube to reach to the bottom of that ice bath that I'd keep in it.
  • edited August 19
    Add a water cooler back there, then run a hose from there to a hydration hose assembly.

¬ ITL
  • TimC, look up Aircast to see if they have a cooler that a drink tube can be connected to. I was prescribed on when I had my first knee surgery in 1995 and bought the cooler and two wraps when I had my knee replacements in 2016. You fill the cooler (like and Igloo water cooler) with ice and water. You connect the knee wraps, one at a time, and let the icy water run into the wraps. When the water warms, you connect the tube again, run the warm water out and run icy water in again. It is truly awesome but would work to provide ice water to you through your entire ride (if they produce the type you need).
  • That sounds like a great idea. I may work on trying to fix-up something like it.
  • I just had another idea. I bought a bag for my rear rack which has a strap that you connect to the rack and one is connected to the bag. There is a plastic clip that connects them together and allows you to quickly remove it, if needed. You could do that with a small soft-side cooler with a plastic liner. Put your bladder inside on ice and run the drinking tube out by the end of the zipper and over your shoulder. You can buy the clips and the strapping at a fabric store. Get the smallest cooler you can find so that it doesn't try to fall sideways.
  • On the cheap you could but a TT seat bag, put in a few packing peanuts or other lightweight and insulating packing material, add a bladder, and more packaging, and there you have it, an inexpensive 3 liter insulated water solution.
  • Hmmm, lots of good ideas here. Since I already had the rack put on the trike, I saw an insulated handlebar bag/cooler at WallyWorld and fastened it to the side of rack. It's only big enough for two or three of the 16 oz water bottles, but fastens securely with Velcro straps. Not big enough for a bladder, but at least in the meantime I can carry some extra cold water.
    I'm still leaning towards a round gallon cooler and strap it on top of the rack, with a hose going to it. I don't know where I'd get a mouth-piece drinking part for it, though.
  • When it comes to keeping a camelbak cold, fill it to the top with ice before adding water. It will stay cold a very long time.
  • Do all camelbaks have a big enough opening to add ice? I thought they were smaller than that.
  • edited August 21
    Most have huge screw entry holes near the top, about 3" in diameter. Look at @JackGRover pics above. The blue ring you see is the screwed in opening.
  • Yup, they have LARGE openings.
    flicki_camelbak_dryer_9.jpg

¬ ITL
  • JackGRover wrote: »
    When it comes to keeping a camelbak cold, fill it to the top with ice before adding water. It will stay cold a very long time.

A biker friend just told me that same thing, and I ordered a bladder with drinking tube last night in fleabay. It has the big enough opening to add ice. I'll figure out a mounting system, and probably copy it off yours.

Idaho, is that a custom device for holding your bladder open so it will dry?
  • Nope. Comes with all Camelbak reservoirs. I have a taste filter on mine, it uses a coconut filter of sorts to change the taste of water. Does well, makes city water easier to consume.

¬ ITL
  • If you don't have one already, this is what I consider a MUST have for all TT owners: http://shop.terratrike.com/Seat-Bag-p/tt600134.htm or this one if you prefer: http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600341.htm

Some have even taken the 1st option above and used it on the front of their seats for additional, semi hidden and roomy storage.
  • Forewarned
    The Seat Bag may not fit if you have a 26" rear wheel and the seat is reclined. It does not fit my Zoomer and I really wanted that bag.
  • Doubtful the deluxe bag will fit with a headrest clamped to the seat. Standard seat fits but the headrest bar will hinder access in the middle.

¬ ITL
  • I bet they still fit on the front of the seat.
  • edited August 22
    Are you implying to underside of the seat? Wonder what would keep that from sliding out.

¬ ITL
  • A little bit of sewing with dental floss?
  • Or clear nylon thread.